Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

Khalil Shakir training with Buffalo Bills legend ahead of year two

</snip>

Moulds shared a video of Shakir training with him that said, “BillsMafia, there is no off-season.”

The caption on his post read, “Anyone know this guy training with me for next few weeks? Watch what happens next year!” he caption on his post read, “Anyone know this guy training with me for next few weeks? Watch what happens next year!”

</snip>

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2
  • Love 1

On 2/18/2023 at 5:45 PM, Spartacus said:

an old, broken Beasely is still better than McKenzie in the slot

Hell, I'd still take Wes Welker in the slot over McKenzie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/22/2023 at 7:45 PM, Ann said:

Khalil Shakir training with Buffalo Bills legend ahead of year two

</snip>

Moulds shared a video of Shakir training with him that said, “BillsMafia, there is no off-season.”

The caption on his post read, “Anyone know this guy training with me for next few weeks? Watch what happens next year!” he caption on his post read, “Anyone know this guy training with me for next few weeks? Watch what happens next year!”

</snip>

Now this is good news! What I see from him I believe he could evolve into a #1. There, I said it!

• Like 2
  • O Rly 1

Tim Graham has a write on the Athletic that is worth reading…

Catch as catch can’t: How can Buffalo Bills wide receivers correct course on drops?

</snip>

The Bills were awful at catching passes. Pro Football Focus data shows they led the NFL in drops per game, were second in total drops, were third in drop percentage and squandered the most yardage through drops.

“The rules now are just built for the passing game,” Hall of Famer and longtime receivers coach Charlie Joiner said. “When guys still can’t catch it? There’s something wrong.”

Pro Football Focus charted the Bills for 34 drops, 6.1 percent of their pass attempts. Those incompletions totaled 343 yards from the spot of the drop, the NFL’s greatest waste by 72 yards over the next closest team despite their canceled game. Only 10 teams dropped over 200 yards’ worth of passes.

Gabriel Davis and Isaiah McKenzie were supposed to at least fill — if not surpass — roles vacated by veterans Emmanuel Sanders and Cole Beasley, who aged out. Davis dropped seven passes, 7.5 percent of his targets. McKenzie dropped five, 8.1 percent of his targets.

Among wideouts with at least 25 catches, they ranked eighth worst and third worst in drop percentage.

Diggs tied for the NFL lead in drops with nine, his most since Pro Football Focus began tracking them in 2019. Diggs’ drop percentage (6) ranked 22nd among wideouts with 25 catches, but it was his worst rate with Buffalo and more than twice as bad as in 2021, when he dropped just four passes, 2.5 percent of his targets.

</snip>

Beyond that, Pro Football Focus also records off-target pass attempts. As a rookie, Allen posted an NFL-high 17.0 off-target percentage. He improved to 10.7 percent in 2020 and 11.8 percent in 2021 — both slightly worse than the NFL average — and then 10.3 percent last year, nearly a full point better than the league average.

So, Allen’s passes last year were on target more than ever.

</snip>

Phillips emphasizes relaxed movement from the neck up. Few catches are made in a gliding stride. Jarring contact or even a dogleg pattern can jitter a receiver’s visual confirmation.

“When you have a guy with natural ball skills who drops the ball,” Phillips said, “one of the biggest things I’ve seen in recent years is not getting your head and eyes around at the top of their routes. That comes with timing. Once they get that down, they can locate and track the ball longer.”

Joiner is bothered by a particular change to NFL dress rehearsals. During the week, teams often have their players practice in shells, a lighter version of shoulder pads, because they don’t engage in full contact anyway.

Yet, regarding those whose job is to catch passes, shells make precious little sense to the man legendary coach Bill Walsh called “the most intelligent, the smartest, the most calculating receiver the game has ever known.” The smaller shoulder pads, Joiner insisted, alter catch radius and technique and create sloppy habits.

“I would not practice until maybe Friday afternoon or Saturday morning without shoulder pads on,” Joiner said. “Taking away shoulder pads on Wednesdays and Thursdays don’t help your legs any.

“It’s a part of the physical structure of the player, and they should have those shoulder pads on all the time, whether they’re going through drills or playing hopscotch.”

</snip>

• Wow 1
  • Applause 2

25 minutes ago, Ann said:

Tim Graham has a write on the Athletic that is worth reading…

Catch as catch can’t: How can Buffalo Bills wide receivers correct course on drops?

</snip>

The Bills were awful at catching passes. Pro Football Focus data shows they led the NFL in drops per game, were second in total drops, were third in drop percentage and squandered the most yardage through drops.

“The rules now are just built for the passing game,” Hall of Famer and longtime receivers coach Charlie Joiner said. “When guys still can’t catch it? There’s something wrong.”

Pro Football Focus charted the Bills for 34 drops, 6.1 percent of their pass attempts. Those incompletions totaled 343 yards from the spot of the drop, the NFL’s greatest waste by 72 yards over the next closest team despite their canceled game. Only 10 teams dropped over 200 yards’ worth of passes.

Gabriel Davis and Isaiah McKenzie were supposed to at least fill — if not surpass — roles vacated by veterans Emmanuel Sanders and Cole Beasley, who aged out. Davis dropped seven passes, 7.5 percent of his targets. McKenzie dropped five, 8.1 percent of his targets.

Among wideouts with at least 25 catches, they ranked eighth worst and third worst in drop percentage.

Diggs tied for the NFL lead in drops with nine, his most since Pro Football Focus began tracking them in 2019. Diggs’ drop percentage (6) ranked 22nd among wideouts with 25 catches, but it was his worst rate with Buffalo and more than twice as bad as in 2021, when he dropped just four passes, 2.5 percent of his targets.

</snip>

Beyond that, Pro Football Focus also records off-target pass attempts. As a rookie, Allen posted an NFL-high 17.0 off-target percentage. He improved to 10.7 percent in 2020 and 11.8 percent in 2021 — both slightly worse than the NFL average — and then 10.3 percent last year, nearly a full point better than the league average.

So, Allen’s passes last year were on target more than ever.

</snip>

Phillips emphasizes relaxed movement from the neck up. Few catches are made in a gliding stride. Jarring contact or even a dogleg pattern can jitter a receiver’s visual confirmation.

“When you have a guy with natural ball skills who drops the ball,” Phillips said, “one of the biggest things I’ve seen in recent years is not getting your head and eyes around at the top of their routes. That comes with timing. Once they get that down, they can locate and track the ball longer.”

Joiner is bothered by a particular change to NFL dress rehearsals. During the week, teams often have their players practice in shells, a lighter version of shoulder pads, because they don’t engage in full contact anyway.

Yet, regarding those whose job is to catch passes, shells make precious little sense to the man legendary coach Bill Walsh called “the most intelligent, the smartest, the most calculating receiver the game has ever known.” The smaller shoulder pads, Joiner insisted, alter catch radius and technique and create sloppy habits.

“I would not practice until maybe Friday afternoon or Saturday morning without shoulder pads on,” Joiner said. “Taking away shoulder pads on Wednesdays and Thursdays don’t help your legs any.

“It’s a part of the physical structure of the player, and they should have those shoulder pads on all the time, whether they’re going through drills or playing hopscotch.”

</snip>

full speed practice in simulated game conditions

who would have thought that would lead to better results on game day

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1