Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

47 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Is there anybody on that list that you would rather have than Diggs? 

In his prime? Marvin Harrison. If Diggs can end up with 13 years, almost 14.5K receiving yards (9th all time), 1,100+ receptions (5th all time), and 128 TDs (5th all time) that Harrison has, that will be more than pretty good. Harrison is a Hall of Famer and considered one of the best WRs to ever play.

10 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Holy hell...how am I just now seeing this.

This is how your change the trajectory of a life.

I finally got an autographed SD14 jersey to go with my JA17.  You just can't have one without the other.  As much as I love both of them on the field, the fact that they are awesome humans is so much better.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Bills All-22 film review: What’s with the lack of targets for Stefon Diggs?

1. Is there a cause for concern with the lack of Diggs targets?

One of the most significant talking points stemming from the Bears game is the lack of involvement of wide receiver Stefon Diggs, who had only two catches on two targets. It’s a far cry from most of his usual workload that has been so prevalent in his three seasons in Buffalo. He also shockingly went without a target in the first half. The Bills’ receivers have devolved into a top-heavy group, with Diggs being the subject of game planning from the opposing defense. The rest of his receiver teammates haven’t demanded enough attention with their season-long outputs, and teams have honed in on Diggs. But even considering that, a two-target total is jarring. So, what went into Diggs’ silent first half, and is it a concern moving forward?

Above all else, it was a perfect formula for Diggs to have a light level of involvement. The Bears indeed paid him a bit of extra attention, sometimes shading a safety over toward him and bracketing Diggs in zone coverage that shifted Josh Allen’s eyes elsewhere. But it certainly wasn’t every play. Diggs was running open far more often than his two targets would indicate, sometimes with some room to roam. So then, why wasn’t Allen getting him the ball more often? That’s where the rest of the perfect formula comes into play. Three significant factors were working against Diggs becoming a huge piece of the game plan.

The first was Allen’s intensified focus on taking what the defense gives him rather than trying to force the issue. The Bills hit the height of their midseason offensive doldrums when Allen wasn’t taking the underneath targets enough. Instead, he wanted the intermediate-to-deep targets the opposing defense had taken away. Allen needed to learn some hard lessons through turnovers, and they had to work at the defense throughout the game to open up those deeper targets. You could see it with how quickly he came off his first target at times throughout the game to find an underneath target instead. Allen wasn’t perfect in doing this, as he still tried to push the ball into the teeth of the Bears’ zone that resulted in one turnover and nearly another. But Allen has been much improved in this area. Combined with some of the coverages the Bears deployed on Diggs, it resulted in fewer targets. The other two reasons are likely to be less repeatable.

The second reason is that the Bears have one of the worst front sevens in the entire NFL, creating a massive opportunity for the Bills to make their running game a priority. And as we saw, they nearly had two 100-yard rushers in Devin Singletary and James Cook as the Bears let up several explosive plays to the duo. With that kind of success by the Bills’ offensive line and running backs, it was in their best interest to keep their best means of the offense rolling. More runs mean less volume for both the passing offense and Diggs. And finally, when pairing the Bears’ horrid run defense with the wind and weather, it created even less of an emphasis to push the ball through the air.

Based on what I saw, I wouldn’t be terribly concerned that the Bears cracked the code on how to keep Diggs out of the offensive output. The Bills are unlikely to see as bad of a run defense as they saw in Chicago, which will increase the overall passing volume. They may see a wind-influenced day like that again, though it’s unlikely it would be that way in every game moving forward. That would also increase the overall passing volume. As for the first reason for how the Bears tried to defend Diggs, they did take him away on some plays. But Allen is going to spot Diggs on film running open in other instances when patience would have rewarded Allen, who will be incredibly tough on himself for that and already was immediately after the game. He lamented not getting Diggs involved more. So don’t be surprised if Allen looks to rectify the situation immediately and in a big way, starting with the upcoming Monday night matchup in Cincinnati.

• Like 3
  • FANtastic 1

20 hours ago, Nanker said:

TLDR

That was only a specific snippet from a long article. I guess it's just not interesting to you. Oh well.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SackMan518 said:

That was only a specific snippet from a long article. I guess it's just not interesting to you. Oh well.

Don’t take it so hard. I did read it. That’s a fairly common response around these parts. 

It does have some insights. Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Don’t take it so hard. I did read it. That’s a fairly common response around these parts. 

It does have some insights. Cheers!

Hey, no offense taken. Have a Happy New Year and Go Bills!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
10 hours ago, Ann said:

Interesting how far this team has come

And their leading wide receiver in 2017 was...

...Deonte Thompson?  Who?  Why do I have no recollection of him?

11 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

And their leading wide receiver in 2017 was...

...Deonte Thompson?  Who?  Why do I have no recollection of him?

You are old.

• Haha 1