Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Obituaries

B-Man

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

RIP.   We need more guys like Sen Hatch in this country.

Dead former Senators? :drums:Sorry, too soon.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

RIP.   We need more guys like Sen Hatch in this country.

Like Berke Breathed said, "this country needs more statesmen."  😉

Crap Throwing Clavin
22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Like Berke Breathed said, "this country needs more statesmen."  😉

opusstateman.JPG

• Cheers 4

Mickey Gilly, who helped inspire ‘Urban Cowboy’, dies at 86

Country star Mickey Gilly, whose eponymous Texas honky-tonk inspired the 1980 film “Urban Cowboy” and a nationwide wave of Western-themed nightspots, has died. He was 86 years old.

Gilly died Saturday in Branson, Missouri, where he helped run the Mickey Gilly Grand Shanghai Theater. He was performing recently like last month, but from last one week health was going bad.

According to a statement from Mickey Gilly Associates, “he passed away peacefully with his family and close friends.”

Gilly – a cousin of rock ‘n’ roll pioneer Jerry Lee Lewis – opened Gilly, “the world’s biggest honky tonk” in Pasadena, Texas, in the early 1970s. By the middle of the decade, he was a successful club owner and enjoyed his first commercial success with “Room Full of Roses”. They began to regularly turn to country hits, including “Window Up Above,” “She’s Pulling Me Back Again” and “Don’t the Girls All Get Prettier at Closing Time.”

(Excerpt) Read more at worldnationnews.com ..

• Sad 1

IDBillzFan

RIP Mr. Ward. People have different memories of you performances, but you'll always be Remo Williams to me. One of the campiest movies I ever needed to watch repeatedly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

RIP Mr. Ward. People have different memories of you performances, but you'll always be Remo Williams to me. One of the campiest movies I ever needed to watch repeatedly.

I never even realized he was Remo Williams.

Sad he's dead...but hope he was killed by a graboid.  

Fansince88
On 5/13/2022 at 5:05 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I never even realized he was Remo Williams.

Sad he's dead...but hope he was killed by a graboid.  

I never even heard of Remo Williams. I have to believe he couldnt take Cordell Walker. 

Man, 79 is too young! The older I get the younger that seems. 

IDBillzFan
2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

I never even heard of Remo Williams. I have to believe he couldnt take Cordell Walker. 

Man, 79 is too young! The older I get the younger that seems. 

I'm not even sure how to describe the movie, except to say that Ward plays a cop who was killed, but really wasn't killed, and is trained to be an assassin for the president. I'm not sure the movie works without Joel Gray playing an old Asian dude who trains Remo. 

Put another way, the movie was called "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins," and it should have been called "The Adventure Begins and Ends At The Same Time."

I dig it a lot, but I was also very heavily into MST3K when it started a few years later, so that should explain a few things about what I like in a movie.

• Like 1