Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What are we watching/recommend ?

Teddy KGB

1 hour ago, snafu said:

I get that.  Wife and I watched the first season together and kept saying it wasn’t cutting it.  But the ball eventually got rolling. Another good thing about that show is that the episodes are real short.  You don’t need to invest a lot of time with it.

I gave up on it pretty early too. But with the lack of new shows as a whole I’ve gone back to it. I think I’m in the 3rd season now and it definitely improved a lot from the beginning. Most good shows do though. 

• Like 1

During the Colts@Bills Wild Card game, CBS has been pushing their "CBS Originals"  Clarice and The Equalizer

What exactly is original about basing a series off a character from a 30 year old movie and rebooting a 35 year old series?

5 hours ago, devnull said:

During the Colts@Bills Wild Card game, CBS has been pushing their "CBS Originals"  Clarice and The Equalizer

What exactly is original about basing a series off a character from a 30 year old movie and rebooting a 35 year old series?

Because it's new, and fresh!

Just give them your money and shuddup about it.

5 hours ago, devnull said:

Yeah, but they made the equalizer a woman this time...............see ?.........different.

for anyone into history, American Experience looks very good tonight on PBS. Here is the writup from the mail irecieved this morning. BTW @DC Tom, did you work with this woman?

Our 2021 season kicks off tonight with The Codebreaker.

This film tells the story of Elizebeth Smith Friedman, the groundbreaking cryptanalyst whose painstaking work decoding thousands of messages for the U.S. government would send infamous gangsters to prison and bring down a massive Nazi spy ring in WWII. 

A suburban wife and mother, she led a secret double life that would only come to light decades after her death, when classified government files were unsealed. 

Tune in tonight at 9/8c on PBS to watch The Codebreaker (check local listings). 

LEARN MORE

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Wow, that is some propaganda bullshit.

Battle of the Atlantic was won in Bletchley Park, not here, by Americans.  

hmm, you saying the Brits brought down some famous US mobsters? 

Seriously, I am gunna watch this, they usually do a good job. I have never heard of this woman, do you know anything about her?

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Battle of the Atlantic was won in Bletchley Park, not here, by Americans.  

German officers unsure of their orders could have just ringed Bletchley Park

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

hmm, you saying the Brits brought down some famous US mobsters? 

Seriously, I am gunna watch this, they usually do a good job. I have never heard of this woman, do you know anything about her?

Antiques Road Show on now. It always amazes me what crap is worth.

I will tune in to your cryptology show after that. 

@snafu and @DC Tom, must say this was not the best AE. Tons of holes in the story, or maybe I just missed them. 

Tom, they did not insinuate she won the Battle of the Atlantic, just that she saved plenty of cargo ships from getting sunk by U boats by being  able to crack the cipher of  a network of Nazi spies based in South America. Have one example of the Queen Mary being able to take evasive actions. Never said how the spy network gathered their info for instance to know where the Queen Mary was located?

theyvalso said the unit she founded was the basis for the NSA , but never really explained how.  Again, I was watching at 4 am, maybe @snafu can fill in gaps/ info I missed. 

the mob stuff was interesting , man she had some stones testifying against these guys in open court.  

certainly not complimentary to JEH, but that seems common   

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

@snafu and @DC Tom, must say this was not the best AE. Tons of holes in the story, or maybe I just missed them. 

Tom, they did not insinuate she won the Battle of the Atlantic, just that she saved plenty of cargo ships from getting sunk by U boats by being  able to crack the cipher of  a network of Nazi spies based in South America. Have one example of the Queen Mary being able to take evasive actions. Never said how the spy network gathered their info for instance to know where the Queen Mary was located?

theyvalso said the unit she founded was the basis for the NSA , but never really explained how.  Again, I was watching at 4 am, maybe @snafu can fill in gaps/ info I missed. 

the mob stuff was interesting , man she had some stones testifying against these guys in open court.  

certainly not complimentary to JEH, but that seems common   

They said she cracked the German Enigma regarding South American messages to the U-boat fleet — but not THAT Enigma. Plus they said she was on to cracking the South American spy ring in several countries, but Hoover got everyone rounded up before she could.

She was pretty impressive.  From her early days trying to prove that Francis Bacon was Shakespeare through the bootlegger stuff, she was good at what she did.  

• Like 1

Anyone watch The Undoing?   I checked out the first episode last night.  I haven't made a decision about the show because I am still trying to remember anything other than the naked form of the incredible Matilda de Angelis.

Edited by KD in CA

1 hour ago, Just Joshin said:

Let us know your opinion.

Super weird. I feel like this might be one of those shows where you’re better off waiting until the full season is available.