Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Texans GM Nick Caserio: 'Zero interest' in trading Deshaun Watson

You Dirty Rat

I am very conflicted. On the one hand, there are no criminal charges (and a grand jury really would indict a ham sandwich). On the other hand, 22 women have accused him of sexual misconduct.  But simply because a number of people accuse you of something, that does not make you guilty of anything. 

I do think he is creepy. I also understand why many Browns fans (men and women) are up in arms about this signing.

From the Athletic (paid site)

Deshaun Watson is now the richest quarterback in the NFL and on track to start Week 1 for the Cleveland Browns. Does that statement make your stomach turn? Do you feel uneasy?

If not, congratulations. You’re the Browns, who somehow managed to separate Watson the football player from Watson the man who faces 22 active civil lawsuits from women who have accused him of sexual assault or sexual misconduct during massage appointments.

If not, you’re ignoring the complicated, messy and nuanced reality that the Browns just mortgaged their future for a player who still faces the possibility of an NFL suspension.

If not, you’re seemingly OK with the Browns potentially alienating female fans and team employees in the name of, finally, acquiring an elite franchise quarterback.

But if all of this — the $230 million guaranteed contract, the fawning social media posts and breathless discussion about the Browns becoming Super Bowl contenders now that Watson is heading to Cleveland — makes you feel a bit queasy, it’s understandable.

Because nothing about the Watson situation for the past year has been easy to stomach.

The truth is that from the moment the first massage therapist filed her lawsuit against Watson just over a year ago, this stopped being strictly a football story. It has been a mistake for the NFL, for teams like the Browns, Falcons, Saints and Panthers, and for much of NFL media, to treat it as such over the past few weeks, even after a Houston grand jury declined to return felony or misdemeanor charges against Watson last week.

</snip>

A lot of this filling my Twitter timeline. We all know the stadium will still be filled and people will still buy the jersey, but the Watson thing has tweaked some fans...and many are turning to the Bills.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ann said:

I am very conflicted. On the one hand, there are no criminal charges (and a grand jury really would indict a ham sandwich). On the other hand, 22 women have accused him of sexual misconduct.  But simply because a number of people accuse you of something, that does not make you guilty of anything. 

I do think he is creepy. I also understand why many Browns fans (men and women) are up in arms about this signing.

From the Athletic (paid site)

Deshaun Watson is now the richest quarterback in the NFL and on track to start Week 1 for the Cleveland Browns. Does that statement make your stomach turn? Do you feel uneasy?

If not, congratulations. You’re the Browns, who somehow managed to separate Watson the football player from Watson the man who faces 22 active civil lawsuits from women who have accused him of sexual assault or sexual misconduct during massage appointments.

If not, you’re ignoring the complicated, messy and nuanced reality that the Browns just mortgaged their future for a player who still faces the possibility of an NFL suspension.

If not, you’re seemingly OK with the Browns potentially alienating female fans and team employees in the name of, finally, acquiring an elite franchise quarterback.

But if all of this — the $230 million guaranteed contract, the fawning social media posts and breathless discussion about the Browns becoming Super Bowl contenders now that Watson is heading to Cleveland — makes you feel a bit queasy, it’s understandable.

Because nothing about the Watson situation for the past year has been easy to stomach.

The truth is that from the moment the first massage therapist filed her lawsuit against Watson just over a year ago, this stopped being strictly a football story. It has been a mistake for the NFL, for teams like the Browns, Falcons, Saints and Panthers, and for much of NFL media, to treat it as such over the past few weeks, even after a Houston grand jury declined to return felony or misdemeanor charges against Watson last week.

</snip>

with the frequency with which info is leaked from police dept and law offices to generate clicks,

if there was any actual, real credible evidence- it would have made its way to the headlines of MSM (tabloids) 

more likely a whole lotta gold digging going on 

Alaska Darin
2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

with the frequency with which info is leaked from police dept and law offices to generate clicks,

if there was any actual, real credible evidence- it would have made its way to the headlines of MSM (tabloids) 

more likely a whole lotta gold digging going on 

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  How long did it take the MSM to start releasing real info on Hunter Biden?  Never underestimate how money sways people to STFU.  Humans for the most part suck.

This is very generous, but he's not accused of raping anyone, is he? I have seen that a lot on twitter (he raped 22 women) since yesterday, and I am wondering how I missed that news.

(Yes, I know they deal with all sorts of sexual assault. I have read people calling him a rapist though.)

Crap Throwing Clavin
19 minutes ago, Ann said:

This is very generous, but he's not accused of raping anyone, is he? I have seen that a lot on twitter (he raped 22 women) since yesterday, and I am wondering how I missed that news.

(Yes, I know they deal with all sorts of sexual assault. I have read people calling him a rapist though.)

Legally?

Texas doesn't have statutes on "rape," but "sexual assault."  And two of the accusations against him would be considered sexual assault.  Except a grand jury clearly didn't see it that way.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Deshaun Watson showed up in Cleveland today for his physical and seemed to be a little worse for wear. He exclaimed to the doctors that both his father and his Grandpop Bill always seemed to look a little wiser and older than the age they really were. On top of that he said "I've had basically a full year to catch up on my massages so maybe a few days off are in order". 

May be an image of 1 person and playing football

Staggering

Signing bonus of $44.965mm, fully guaranteed. 2022 base salary of $1.035 million, fully guaranteed. '23 through '26, base salary of $46 million, per season, fully guaranteed.

For cap purposes, that's... $54mm per year in seasons '23 through '26.

Inside the Deshaun Watson deal

... As previously reported, there’s no signing bonus forfeiture or voiding of future guarantees based on the existing allegations against Watson. If he’s suspended by the league, the guarantees remain. ...

My question is... while it holds no penalties for past transgressions, does it contain verbiage on conduct detrimental to the team going forward?

• Wow 1

22 hours ago, Ann said:

tony.jpg.acd568582e75eb1c2dcf55bfafc7f87c.jpg

no one talked to the huckster who actively recruited all of these plaintiffs, with promises of big money settlements

with Buzbee to get the biggest cut

what a shock they didn't trust him for a fair and balanced assessment of the cases

4merper4mer
46 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Wait, the Athletic is reporting that a second grand jury has convened to look at possible charges...

Watch him get indicted now, after 250 guaranteed. That would be such a Brown thing to happen

Is that real?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Wait, the Athletic is reporting that a second grand jury has convened to look at possible charges...

Watch him get indicted now, after 250 guaranteed. That would be such a Brown thing to happen

The last thing I remember reading was the attorney for the women saying no one in the NFL bothered to reach out to him with questions about Watson before making him an offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

15 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It'll be interesting to see the verbiage of his contract and see if there is an out for conduct detrimental to the team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

The last thing I remember reading was the attorney for the women saying no one in the NFL bothered to reach out to him with questions about Watson before making him an offer.

why bother?

Buzbee is a lying, conniving promoter

nothing he would have said is anything Cleveland does not already know

hey - Watson accosted 22 women

( I've got no evIdence, but my hopes for a quick settlement to make this go away are really getting trashed by that Cleveland contract)

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

It'll be interesting to see the verbiage of his contract and see if there is an out for conduct detrimental to the team.

the contract specifically excludes losing wages over these claims

Basically, Cleveland agreed to accept the risk with full knowledge