Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Texans GM Nick Caserio: 'Zero interest' in trading Deshaun Watson

You Dirty Rat

27 minutes ago, Foxx said:

23 minutes ago, Core Four said:

That's criminal court, right?  Civil court will probably be a different case.

I'm starting to think there isn't really all that much there, except general creepiness. That is two grand juries that did not indict. Unless they are planning on taking this to 22 jurisdictions hoping they can get some criminal charges? 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Ann said:

I'm starting to think there isn't really all that much there, except general creepiness. That is two grand juries that did not indict. Unless they are planning on taking this to 22 jurisdictions hoping they can get some criminal charges? 

I think it's harder to convict in criminal cases than it is in civil cases.  Criminal cases have a higher bar of proof than civil cases do.

OJ Simpson was found not guilty in the criminal case, but found liable in the civil case.

Edited by Core Four
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I think it's harder to convict in criminal cases than it is in civil cases.  Criminal cases have a higher bar of proof than civil cases do.

OJ Simpson was found not guilty in the criminal case, but found liable in the civil case.

As the saying goes, a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich and yet, Watson remains un-indicted. How many more grand juries will be convened to bring him up on charges?  

Note: I am not an attorney and do not play one on the internet. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Core Four said:

Grand juries only hear criminal charges and accusations, not civil.

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 minutes ago, Ann said:

As the saying goes, a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich and yet, Watson remains un-indicted. How many more grand juries will be convened to bring him up on charges?  

Note: I am not an attorney and do not play one on the internet. 🙂

They'll keep convening until they get it right, dammit!

"Sexual misconduct" cases, up to and including assault, are notoriously difficult to prosecute, particularly in the absence of any corroborating or physical evidence (e.g. "rape kit" results).  Otherwise it often just comes down to "he said, she said," which is a poor basis for overcoming "reasonable doubt."  Which is why the whole "Women must be believed!" movement is a thing.

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

could be

if civil court relies solely on feelings

and ignores the lack of evidence

3 hours ago, Spartacus said:

the contract specifically excludes losing wages over these claims

Basically, Cleveland agreed to accept the risk with full knowledge

Yeah, I don't know. Garrapolo just reported on NFLN that the contract is not yet signed because they are still hammering out the language.

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

Yeah, I don't know. Garrapolo just reported on NFLN that the contract is not yet signed because they are still hammering out the language.

they probably need to wait until they ditch Baker's cap hit of $18mil

even with a $1mil base, 250 mil spread over 5 years is a big cap hit in 2022

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

could be

if civil court relies solely on feelings

and ignores the lack of evidence

Quite wrong.  Civil court does not rely on 'feelings' in lieu of evidence.  The judge hears the case in a civil suit and decides if the defendant is liable based on the evidence presented by the plaintiff.  A criminal court involves a jury of the defendant's peers.  They decide if the defendant is guilty based on evidence provided by the plaintiff.  The bar to convict in a criminal case is quite high, where all jury members have to agree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

they probably need to wait until they ditch Baker's cap hit of $18mil

even with a $1mil base, 250 mil spread over 5 years is a big cap hit in 2022

Again, I don't know. Reports are that his cap hit this year will in the neighborhood of $10mm. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
41 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Quite wrong.  Civil court does not rely on 'feelings' in lieu of evidence.  The judge hears the case in a civil suit and decides if the defendant is liable based on the evidence presented by the plaintiff.  A criminal court involves a jury of the defendant's peers.  They decide if the defendant is guilty based on evidence provided by the plaintiff.  The bar to convict in a criminal case is quite high, where all jury members have to agree.

Spartacus, not understanding something?  That almost never happens!

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Adam Shefter on Sirius today said the Browns agreed to pay Deshaun his full salary, all of it, no matter what happens. Deshaun can phuck a muppet donkey on Sesame Street and he still gets his money.

• Facepalm 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Adam Shefter on Sirius today said the Browns agreed to pay Deshaun his full salary, all of it, no matter what happens. Deshaun can phuck a muppet donkey on Sesame Street and he still gets his money.

I saw a tweet mentioning this exact thing.  Basically the Browns handed Watson $250M, playing football is just a suggestion.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Core Four said:

I saw a tweet mentioning this exact thing.  Basically the Browns handed Watson $250M, playing football is just a suggestion.  

Just like the speed limit signs in New Jersey. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 hours ago, Core Four said:

Watch the Browns have to forfeit a season when they have to cut their entire roster to handle the cap hit when Deshawn Watson goes to prison.

• Haha 2