Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

On 6/11/2022 at 11:50 AM, Ann said:

Offensive line coach Aaron Kromer returns to a Bills team that's nothing like the one he left

</snip>

It’s a return to Buffalo for Kromer, who spent the 2015-16 seasons as the Bills’ offensive line coach under Rex Ryan. To say the franchise is in a much different spot now than it was then would be a colossal understatement.

“I believe that – not comparing the two – this team and organization now is really checking every box from the top down,” Kromer said. “They are making sure everything is done. Every ‘t’ is crossed, every ‘i’ is dotted, and with that they’ve created a culture of winning. They’ve gathered good players, good coaches. It's built a wonderful, successful program. Obviously, this is a good football team run by good people. You could tell how well things are being run at this point.”

</snip>

“Everything's changed. There is only one player left on the team, not in my position, not on offensive line, but even on the team that was here before,” Kromer said, referencing long snapper Reid Ferguson. “No coaches. It's been great to get to know these guys and really see how they've created a successful program. It was just exciting to get back here. Shoot, we love the people in Buffalo. Everybody is so welcoming, and it feels like home when you come back, so it's been great.”

</snip>

“I believe that this is a group that wants to be better and wants to work, wants to adhere to the techniques that we're teaching,” he said. “When it comes down to it, football is won with technique. It's one-on-one in a lot of situations, and somebody has to out-technique the other person. I think there's a lot of talent on the line, but I think there's a lot of work to be done with technique, and we're getting there.”

At this stage in the offseason, teams are limited in the amount of physical contact that is permitted at practice. Obviously, that limits some of what the offensive linemen can do, but Kromer said his group is still making significant progress.

“We're wearing helmets and shorts. Luckily, we teach a lot of hands blocking,” he said.

“Controlling your guys with your hands, so that works out well with no pads on, you don't have to smash into each other to get that done – no matter what scheme it is. We're really trying to build the fundamentals and the ideals of the offense right now and then carry it into the padded training camp.”

</snip>

Raises the question of what were they coaching the last few years if technique is so bad?

Edited by Spartacus

20 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Raises the question of what were they coaching the last few years if technique is so bad?

COOLs each have their own philosophy and approach to OL play.I expect Kroger will whip together a successful squad. 
https://www.thecoolclinic.com

Mouse was a featured coach for sometime. He fizzled here though and made the mistake of letting Jason Peters become a LT. He would have been an All-World Tight End, instead Ralph let him go to the Iggles because well, Ralph was cheap. 

Edited by Nanker
Linky thingy

• 2 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
59 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

To quote him: "Even here, we gotta practice the same stuff over and over again because it's easier to lose technique than gain it."

To quote Twitter: "The following media includes potentially sensitive comment."  

But Edmunds, after careful consideration, running straight up a lineman's ass...Twitter thinks that's fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Alaska Darin
41 minutes ago, Ann said:

Tommy Doyle (the Atlanta Falcons remark! Hope it never comes back to bite him)

Just when you think you've seen the bottom of Maddie Glab's talent...

Bills training camp positional preview: Can Spencer Brown boost offensive line?

... Will the Bills get the Spencer Brown from the beginning of his rookie season?

After only three weeks of below-average pass blocking on the right side of the line in 2021, the Bills decided they couldn’t keep Brown on the bench any longer. They moved Daryl Williams inside to right guard and inserted Brown at right tackle. The initial results were outstanding. Brown’s first three games brought an element to the offensive line that it had been missing. His tenacity and movement skills made him a fit for how the Bills were structuring their blocking schemes.

However, once the Bills hit their bye in Week 7, Brown’s season turned topsy-turvy. The rookie missed the next two games due to an injury, had a good outing in his first game back, then landed on the reserve/COVID-19 list for two games. Brown returned in Week 13 but failed to deliver the same success as his first four games. He spent one game at left tackle that went poorly, but the inconsistency went much deeper than one game at a different position.

According to TruMedia and Pro Football Focus, Brown’s pressure allowed percentage rose to 6.8 percent from Week 13 through the playoffs. It was the highest of the Bills’ late-season starters by far, and at least doubled the percentage of Morse (3 percent), Bates (2 percent) and Dawkins (1.8 percent). The closest to Brown over that span was Williams, who was still far removed at 4.4 percent. For reference, Cody Ford, whom the Bills benched last year, had a pressure allowed percentage of 8.3 for the season.

The Bills need Brown to make a jump as a consistent pass protector in his second season. If they get the player he was in his first four starts, this group has the potential to be the best offensive line quarterback Josh Allen has played behind. Brown is a locked-in starter to begin the year as long as he’s healthy, and unless it goes really poorly, he’ll also be their starter throughout the season. If Brown struggles considerably, veteran David Quessenberry is a legitimate backup option the Bills brought in this year. ...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Brown is a next generation athlete but he clearly lacks experience.  I 100% believe Kromer was brought back with an eye on developing Brown into the eventual LT.

I am happy Kromer was brought back. The guy just knows how to get production out of an O-line.

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I am happy Kromer was brought back. The guy just knows how to get production out of an O-line.

He's a real coach - he coaches players to be successful using their strengths and minimizing the exposure to their weaknesses.  For whatever reason, that isn't the norm.

I don't know if you caught it from the post I had about the OLineman summit but Jesse Sapolu gave up an interesting tidbit about how his OLine coach told him to deal with the much larger and more athletic Leon Lett.  Stuff like that is why I love football.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

He's a real coach - he coaches players to be successful using their strengths and minimizing the exposure to their weaknesses.  For whatever reason, that isn't the norm.

I don't know if you caught it from the post I had about the OLineman summit but Jesse Sapolu gave up an interesting tidbit about how his OLine coach told him to deal with the much larger and more athletic Leon Lett.  Stuff like that is why I love football.

No, sorry I missed it.

Apologies for being out of the loop on much these days. Lots going on to prep for the season...

• Like 1