Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

16 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t know this aspect well, but I’m surprised he didn’t get the higher tender. Would we have gotten a 2nd round pick if he left? Was it “just” $1.5 mil different? 

16 hours ago, Foxx said:

Good question. One I do not know the answer to. Whatever it is/was, good chance Beane thought it too high a price.

I just saw this, maybe helps answer the question.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Long term plan is to build the comp pick pipeline, based on expiring short term contracts

I doubt a comp pick pipeline is the reason for all the short term contracts.  

• 4 weeks later...

Juan Castillo, he is not

Bills have raised expectations for offensive line and running game under Aaron Kromer (msn.com)

When the Rams let Kromer go after the 2020 season, it left NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger, who spent 12 years as an offensive lineman in the NFL, perplexed. Baldinger is one of Kromer's biggest fans, and he Tweeted about it at the time.

Baldinger called Kromer a masterful teacher, pointing to his crossover footwork technique and use of the chop, which is more commonly thought of as a technique for defensive linemen. But Kromer points out how it can help offensive linemen just as much.

Lorenzo Reyna of Heavy.com documents all of it here.

Just as Baldinger is a disciple of Kromer, Kromer is a disciple of the man who is widely considered the finest offensive line coach in the history of the game, the late Howard Mudd.

Mudd was an out-of-the-box thinker, particularly when it came to pass protection. He wasn't married to the most popular technique, the vertical set, which many offensive tackles don't have the athletic ability to execute properly and never will.

For those who couldn't do the kick-slide well enough, Mudd believed in using jump sets, which call for offensive linemen to initiate contact with pass rushers rather than trying to beat them to a spot in the backfield while creating space that athletic edge rushers too often exploit, sometimes avoiding contact altogether.

Bottom line: The Bills expect to run the ball better, protect Allen better and be even more productive as an offense while cutting down on Allen's run frequency.

They have hired the man who has maximized talent before in Buffalo as well as other NFL stops

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Alaska Darin
52 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Juan Castillo, he is not

Bills have raised expectations for offensive line and running game under Aaron Kromer (msn.com)

When the Rams let Kromer go after the 2020 season, it left NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger, who spent 12 years as an offensive lineman in the NFL, perplexed. Baldinger is one of Kromer's biggest fans, and he Tweeted about it at the time.

Baldinger called Kromer a masterful teacher, pointing to his crossover footwork technique and use of the chop, which is more commonly thought of as a technique for defensive linemen. But Kromer points out how it can help offensive linemen just as much.

Lorenzo Reyna of Heavy.com documents all of it here.

Just as Baldinger is a disciple of Kromer, Kromer is a disciple of the man who is widely considered the finest offensive line coach in the history of the game, the late Howard Mudd.

Mudd was an out-of-the-box thinker, particularly when it came to pass protection. He wasn't married to the most popular technique, the vertical set, which many offensive tackles don't have the athletic ability to execute properly and never will.

For those who couldn't do the kick-slide well enough, Mudd believed in using jump sets, which call for offensive linemen to initiate contact with pass rushers rather than trying to beat them to a spot in the backfield while creating space that athletic edge rushers too often exploit, sometimes avoiding contact altogether.

Bottom line: The Bills expect to run the ball better, protect Allen better and be even more productive as an offense while cutting down on Allen's run frequency.

They have hired the man who has maximized talent before in Buffalo as well as other NFL stops

I hope we keep Kromer for a long time and have some disciples waiting in the wings.  When you finally have a franchise QB, it's almost inarguable that you need to buy the best OLine coach out there and keep that dude happy for as long as you can.  I'm glad GMBB/ Coach MCD/ and the Pegulas are on the same page here.

Thanks for posting this.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • FANtastic 2

https://ramblinfan.com/2020/04/05/la-rams-new-logo-final-despite-eric-dickersons-efforts/

Many fans anticipate multiple offensive linemen to be added to the team this year as well.  While that may be the case, don’t look for the Rams to load up on offensive linemen on day two of the 2020 NFL Draft. The true value for offensive linemen, outside of the top four who will hear their name called in round one, are the players who fall to the latter half of day three.

Kromer likes the challenge

That’s exactly where offensive line coach Aaron Kromer likes to find his players, and where he adds the most value to the team.

Kromer has had success at prospects who are chosen later in the draft. His most recent success is that of David Edwards. a d 2019 fifth-round pick from the University of Wisconsin who was promoted to the very unfamiliar role of the right guard, and he nailed it as a rookie.

We had done an article a month ago touting the value having a coach like Aaron Kromer on the Rams’ staff entering a draft like this one. While many teams are limited to the upper tier of offensive line prospects, Kromer’s ability to coach up raw prospects allows the LA Rams to choose higher ceiling, lower risk players.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

So the cross over is apparently sensitive material? :confused:

some brilliant dinosaur concluded that, unlike every other football position, OL fall over if they cross their feet

who knew?

Arm of Harm
26 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Imma gonna take a guess that Beane isn't taking an OT in the 1st round. 

If the best available OT has a higher grade than the best available players at other positions, OT is an option Beane should very strongly consider. You want to put a great OL in front of Allen, and Dawkins is not a top 20 OT in the NFL. 

However, maybe the BPA when the Bills pick will be a CB, or a WR, or an interior OL. I’d be fine with the Bills using their 1st round pick on any of those positions. The goal is to get a great football player who will contribute to this team long after his rookie contract is over. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

If the best available OT has a higher grade than the best available players at other positions, OT is an option Beane should very strongly consider. You want to put a great OL in front of Allen, and Dawkins is not a top 20 OT in the NFL. 

However, maybe the BPA when the Bills pick will be a CB, or a WR, or an interior OL. I’d be fine with the Bills using their 1st round pick on any of those positions. The goal is to get a great football player who will contribute to this team long after his rookie contract is over. 

I just don't think a franchise OT will fall to 25. I am not a big proponent of trading up in the 1st for position players and I don't think Beane is either.

We will find out in a week.

• Like 2

Arm of Harm
1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

I just don't think a franchise OT will fall to 25. I am not a big proponent of trading up in the 1st for position players and I don't think Beane is either.

We will find out in a week.

Odds are you are right. If I had to bet, I’d expect the Bills to stick with Dawkins for now. That said . . . 

Jason Peters was an UDFA. If a gold jacket LT can be an UDFA, a franchise LT can fall to 25. 

While Beane generally does not trade up in the first round, there are exceptions. He traded up for Edmunds. A franchise LT could make a significantly bigger difference than Edmunds has. 

If the Bills draft a non-CB in the first, they’ll need to take a CB in the second. So, I don’t want them to trade away their 2nd round pick! I also would prefer to not trade away picks in future drafts. If you want to move up for a LT, what does that leave to trade away? Dawkins himself! I don’t claim to know how much he’s worth in a trade, but maybe if you’re offering pick 25 + Dawkins you could get pick 20 or even pick 15. 

Alaska Darin
36 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Jason Peters was an UDFA. If a gold jacket LT can be an UDFA, a franchise LT can fall to 25. 

While Beane generally does not trade up in the first round, there are exceptions. He traded up for Edmunds. A franchise LT could make a significantly bigger difference than Edmunds has. 

If the Bills draft a non-CB in the first, they’ll need to take a CB in the second. So, I don’t want them to trade away their 2nd round pick! I also would prefer to not trade away picks in future drafts. If you want to move up for a LT, what does that leave to trade away? Dawkins himself! I don’t claim to know how much he’s worth in a trade, but maybe if you’re offering pick 25 + Dawkins you could get pick 20 or even pick 15. 

Yes, let's use the aberration to every rule in the world as the reason to reach for a player based on position value.  It took Peters literally YEARS to get on the field at LT on a team that was fielding such names as Mike Gandy, Melvin Fowler, Terrance Pennington, etc. and had a rookie QB starting.

If you're listening to Beane, he's basically telling you the strength of this draft is after Round One.  Don't be surprised if there's a run on CBs and WRs when the BILLS trade out of the first round because that's a far more likely scenario than trading up.  If there were special LTs in this draft, they wouldn't be falling into the teens because NFL GMs covet that position on almost the same level as QB and Edge Rusher. 

You're sitting here chirping that Dawkins isn't a good LT (which is kinda funny in itself) then saying you can trade him to go up in the draft, all the while having to eat $12M in salary.  To say nothing of what that does to the locker room.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 1