Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Sabres '20?- '21 season - Kreuger's Replacement?

GG1

Big 4 game stretch coming up.  They get to play the 2 teams that should be at the bottom of the division when all is said & done.

Rags 3rd C out tonight because of a hit from Evan Rodrigues.  Yep, E-Rod isn't even a Sabre anymore but is still helping the cause. 😉

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Big 4 game stretch coming up.  They get to play the 2 teams that should be at the bottom of the division when all is said & done.

Rags 3rd C out tonight because of a hit from Evan Rodrigues.  Yep, E-Rod isn't even a Sabre anymore but is still helping the cause. 😉

3rd C, huh?

That destabilizing effect is gonna ripple through the NY roster, woot woot!

1 minute ago, snafu said:

3rd C, huh?

That destabilizing effect is gonna ripple through the NY roster, woot woot!

He's been more effective than either Zbanijad or Strome, the 2 guys in front of him.

Not a huge loss, but it is a loss for a team struggling even worse than the Sabres (1-3-1).  Sweep these 2 games and the Rags should be in the rear view mirror all season.

Just now, Taro T said:

He's been more effective than either Zbanijad or Strome, the 2 guys in front of him.

Not a huge loss, but it is a loss for a team struggling even worse than the Sabres (1-3-1).  Sweep these 2 games and the Rags should be in the rear view mirror all season.

Oh I was just joking. If the Sabres lost a 3rd line C nobody would blink. 

And I agree about kicking the Rangers down.  They came into the season with a lot of hopes. They’re actually a scary opponent if they figure things out. Sabres are playing well.  I’m hoping to see fruit soon.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

they have played well, been a bit unlucky to be sure.

Pet peeve about all these analytics geeks - Provide a friggin legend to whatever acronyms you use to make up your newfangled quadrants.   What the F is an xG Rate?   And get off my lawn, while you're at it!

1 minute ago, GG1 said:

Pet peeve about all these analytics geeks - Provide a friggin legend to whatever acronyms you use to make up your newfangled quadrants.   What the F is an xG Rate?   And get off my lawn, while you're at it!

Expected goals for/against.

It's the stat geek's determination of how many goals the team should've scored & given up based on where the shots were attempted from.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It's the stat geek's determination of how many goals the team should've scored & given up based on where the shots were attempted from.

Thx, it would have been nice if they have that on the website 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Thx, it would have been nice if they have that on the website 

i agree some of the charts get a little crazy...gives me something to do during the day...trying to figure these damn things out!

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Still? Wouldn’t this be the first time ever that he helped the cause?

I feel like is a very simple fix at this point. Once Eichel and Hall get going, look out. Whether that’s on the same line or separate, it doesn’t really matter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I went to that site and looked at the "Goal Results" chart.  And there's a "Results vs. Expectation" chart.

Not the same picture...does that mean we're snake bit or that we keep shooting into the goalie's chest (or wide and high, seems like wide and high is most common)?

19 minutes ago, snafu said:

I went to that site and looked at the "Goal Results" chart.  And there's a "Results vs. Expectation" chart.

Not the same picture...does that mean we're snake bit or that we keep shooting into the goalie's chest (or wide and high, seems like wide and high is most common)?

In watching the games, it's definitely the latter

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Jack gets his first of the year,

the relief on his face was obvious 

Sabres up by one after two periods 

Not thrilled about Alamo mode, but it worked tonight.

Needed to go 4-0-1 this 5 game segment to be back on a 0.600 playoff point pace.  Are 2-0-0 so far.   2-0-1 (or better) doesn't sound that daunting going against the 2 weaker teams in the division.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not thrilled about Alamo mode, but it worked tonight.

Needed to go 4-0-1 this 5 game segment to be back on a 0.600 playoff point pace.  Are 2-0-0 so far.   2-0-1 (or better) doesn't sound that daunting going against the 2 weaker teams in the division.

3-1-1 stretch right now. If they hit your mark, that’s a very nice run over 8 games. 

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

3-1-1 stretch right now. If they hit your mark, that’s a very nice run over 8 games. 

My preference is to look at the season as 8 - 10 games segments (w/ 2 bonus games) but with the season only 56 games am looking at it in 5 game segments.

If they can hit the mark, it'll be a very nice 8 game run.  But honestly, except for opening night, they've played well overall each game even though they've had pretty much no 5v5 puck luck.

16 hours ago, Taro T said:

My preference is to look at the season as 8 - 10 games segments (w/ 2 bonus games) but with the season only 56 games am looking at it in 5 game segments.

If they can hit the mark, it'll be a very nice 8 game run.  But honestly, except for opening night, they've played well overall each game even though they've had pretty much no 5v5 puck luck.

Agreed.  Outside of last night's third, they've actually given me some hope.  Even in the third, the Rangers really only had a couple of pretty good scoring chances.  For the most part they did keep them on the outside, even if they couldn't get/keep the puck for pretty much 20 minutes.

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Agreed.  Outside of last night's third, they've actually given me some hope.  Even in the third, the Rangers really only had a couple of pretty good scoring chances.  For the most part they did keep them on the outside, even if they couldn't get/keep the puck for pretty much 20 minutes.

And, while am definitely not a fan of Alamo mode, can see a justification (though don't agree w/ it) for going to it at this point of the season especially against a team that had just lost 3 straight. On the Rags post-game show, one of their announcers was saying flat out, he knew they'd lose when they went into the 3rd period down a goal & that he didn't even think they had a chance when they had the PP w/ the goalie pulled.  (And, personally, was very nervous after that penalty to Hall.  So, didn't agree w/ the talking head.)

If your opponent is broken, don't do anything to fix them.  Going all out to get that 2 goal lead, especially w/ as much issues as they've had at finishing 5v5, could've backfired horrendously.  In this case, discretion might've been the better part of valor.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

And, while am definitely not a fan of Alamo mode, can see a justification (though don't agree w/ it) for going to it at this point of the season especially against a team that had just lost 3 straight. On the Rags post-game show, one of their announcers was saying flat out, he knew they'd lose when they went into the 3rd period down a goal & that he didn't even think they had a chance when they had the PP w/ the goalie pulled.  (And, personally, was very nervous after that penalty to Hall.  So, didn't agree w/ the talking head.)

If your opponent is broken, don't do anything to fix them.  Going all out to get that 2 goal lead, especially w/ as much issues as they've had at finishing 5v5, could've backfired horrendously.  In this case, discretion might've been the better part of valor.

Valiquette on the Rangers post game.   His reaction to the Rangers play was as though they had just mugged his mom.

I actually like the Rangers broadcast (Sam Rosen and Joe Micheleti). They were down on the Rangers for losing 70% of face offs and never getting an offensive zone setup.  They don’t mind criticizing their team and praising the opposition.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1