Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Sabres '20?- '21 season - Kreuger's Replacement?

GG1

11 hours ago, snafu said:

Valiquette on the Rangers post game.   His reaction to the Rangers play was as though they had just mugged his mom.

I actually like the Rangers broadcast (Sam Rosen and Joe Micheleti). They were down on the Rangers for losing 70% of face offs and never getting an offensive zone setup.  They don’t mind criticizing their team and praising the opposition.

Yeah, to the bolded, that was kind of fun to watch knowing it was the Sabres who took his lunch money. 

• Like 1

what an interesting feeling...looking forward to watching a hockey game tonight..specifically a Sabres game!

BTW, last game was first time i watched on NHL.TV. Some things i learned in case anyone else is using for first time this year. Learning so much after having just given up on DTV

1) If you are going to start watching game late, which i always do, make sure to turn scores off in settings.

2) Need to go to scores, and not teams..on the menu. Scores lets you pick broadcast and start from beginning.

On 1/26/2021 at 10:08 PM, Taro T said:

My preference is to look at the season as 8 - 10 games segments (w/ 2 bonus games) but with the season only 56 games am looking at it in 5 game segments.

If they can hit the mark, it'll be a very nice 8 game run.  But honestly, except for opening night, they've played well overall each game even though they've had pretty much no 5v5 puck luck.

Since most of the season is two game sets this year, I may wind up looking at each of those. So after the opening set, they’ve taken 2 of 4, 3 of 4, and 3 of 4. They’ll be in great shape if they can sustain that pace. Let’s just keep those games out of OT because they all hurt this year. There’s no more meaningless extra point in a game against the western conference. 

• Like 1

It's amazing to me that even after 5 years the Sabres still look completely clueless about how to create offense in 3-on-3 overtime.

FFS.  Figure it out.

• Like 1

It was ugly, but w/ the SO win the Sabres are in 4th (at least until the Pens game tonight) & can be on that playoff making pace of 12 points in 10 games w/ a win at home tomorrow afternoon against this same Devils squad.

It’s nice to see them walking away with points each night even when not playing so well. I just wish they’d stop taking everything to OT. Every single point given to the opposing team hurts this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

It’s nice to see them walking away with points each night even when not playing so well. I just wish they’d stop taking everything to OT. Every single point given to the opposing team hurts this year. 

Even with the seeming increase in 3 point games we're seeing this year, am still expecting 6 points every 5 games will get teams into the playoffs; it always has.  But with all the games being in division would be surprised if any of the divisions have a team significantly below that pace get in.  Really can't see even a 9 points every 8 games pace which works out to 92 points over 82 being good enough although it has been on several in the past.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Even with the seeming increase in 3 point games we're seeing this year, am still expecting 6 points every 5 games will get teams into the playoffs; it always has.  But with all the games being in division would be surprised if any of the divisions have a team significantly below that pace get in.  Really can't see even a 9 points every 8 games pace which works out to 92 points over 82 being good enough although it has been on several in the past.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. Man, was really hoping they would win it on that late PP, hate to give away that point. 

BTW, I hate afternoon games. 

21 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. Man, was really hoping they would win it on that late PP, hate to give away that point. 

BTW, I hate afternoon games. 

When the kids were younger, hated afternoon games as well because we usually were at their games & had to miss the Sabres game.

But for the last couple of years we'd usually grab lunch at a local bar & then go to the rink.  Really started to like them.  

• Like 1

I know it is one game, but Jack Hughes looked 100% better yesterday than last season. Last year he played like a featherweight. Yesterday more welterweight. 

I like Ike the way Cozens is playing.  I hate the way Dahlin is playing. 

It it is also telling that they needed to use Risto in the slot on power plays. It worked, but for cripe sake they can’t get a forward to do that?

Ullmark stole us a point vs. Rangers and another in the shootout yesterday (though that third goal he gave up let NJ have a point). 

34 minutes ago, snafu said:

I know it is one game, but Jack Hughes looked 100% better yesterday than last season. Last year he played like a featherweight. Yesterday more welterweight. 

I like Ike the way Cozens is playing.  I hate the way Dahlin is playing. 

It it is also telling that they needed to use Risto in the slot on power plays. It worked, but for cripe sake they can’t get a forward to do that?

Ullmark stole us a point vs. Rangers and another in the shootout yesterday (though that third goal he gave up let NJ have a point). 

Putting Ristolainen in front of the net on the PP can work in small doses and can be a great change of pace when things are stale.  But as the 2nd PP the Sabres tried it on showed, it can also be shutdown pretty easily when the D is ready for it as the D plays it like a 4v4 and prevents the Sabres from even getting a good shot off as they get far more aggressive in coverage man to man essentially ignoring Risto.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like 1

Can somebody please help me understand.  If RK is penalizing Skinner for only caring about offense, what’s his excuse for keeping Hall on the top line despite some horrific passing in his own zone?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snafu said:

Can’t stand Carter Hutton.

Risto in front on the PP has worked twice today.

tough one to take yesterday....Risto has been one of the few bright spots this year

@GG1, Hall looks awful, but i guess cause he is Ralph's "get"..he aint going anywhere. Skinner was JBOTs get...

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

heard some chatter might be weather related, but Vogl thinks possible positive test. Have a feeling next game will be nixed too!

I heard that there are several Islanders who need to be tested but the NHL couldn't get the testing done in time for the game because of the weather.  So the answer is a little bit of both.