Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Around the NFL

GG1

Former NFL GM Mike Lombardi doesn't understand how Chris Grier has a job (msn.com)

I don’t know how he does it,” Lombardi said, transcribed by Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. “Chris [Grier] is a really good guy. He has had a lot of picks and hasn’t repaired the offensive line.

The biggest question that Lombardi hit on was obviously quarterback. Tagovailoa has been fine, but having Justin Herbert go the next pick and look great has hurt the optics.

“There is no chance you would watch both of these players work out and pick Tua,” Lombardi explained. “One is bigger, stronger, faster, with a bigger arm. It makes no sense at all. But it is the power of the media. When you begin with the end in mind [drafting Tagovailoa] and violate the first rule of scouting, which is not beginning with the end in mind… that’s what they did.

“I don’t understand how it can happen. It’s the power of bias, the power of media, the power of the PR machine, the power of the Leigh Steinberg machine. There was a complete bias that was set up in this. Leigh Steinberg [one of Tagovailoa’s agents] is the greatest marketer of all time. He can spin a story and people buy it. You have people still buying it at the worldwide leader [ESPN]. I was reading something the other day that Tua is still going to be great. It’s unbelievable. You took a player who has been injury-prone his whole career.

“Tua can throw crossers, flats, and curls. But if he has to do anything more than that, he can’t. Is Tua going to be a top 15 quarterback in the league? If the answer is no, you need a [new] quarterback. Herbert is in the top five.”

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

"Tagavailoa is fine."

No, he...uh...yeah, yeah, he's fine!  That's it, he's fine.  In fact, better than fine, he's great.  He's your QB of the next 15 years, Miami.  Keep believing that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

"Tagavailoa is fine."

No, he...uh...yeah, yeah, he's fine!  That's it, he's fine.  In fact, better than fine, he's great.  He's your QB of the next 15 years, Miami.  Keep believing that.  

Let's hope they do!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Oh geez [heads over to the survivor thread to think about changing his pick].

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Former NFL GM Mike Lombardi doesn't understand how Chris Grier has a job (msn.com)

“There is no chance you would watch both of these players work out and pick Tua,” Lombardi explained. “One is bigger, stronger, faster, with a bigger arm. It makes no sense at all. But it is the power of the media. When you begin with the end in mind [drafting Tagovailoa] and violate the first rule of scouting, which is not beginning with the end in mind… that’s what they did.

But...but.....all Tagovailoa does is win!

[/ATOP BrainTrust]

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, snafu said:

Oh geez [heads over to the survivor thread to think about changing his pick].

The line hasn't moved at all...

14 minutes ago, Foxx said:

The line hasn't moved at all...

I noticed that, too.

I decided last night to sweat it out with my choice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Well, it's Belichick* versus Cully and a rookie quarterback...so...

Amended that a bit. I don't expect Mac Jones to hang 40 on Houston, but Belicheat* will certainly have his defense confusing the snotshit out of Mills.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 11:19 PM, KD in CA said:

But...but.....all Tagovailoa does is win!

[/ATOP BrainTrust]

Alabama QBs in the NFL? BAD idea

• Like 1

22 hours ago, snafu said:

I noticed that, too.

I decided last night to sweat it out with my choice.

whoever is playing OL for Pats will be allowed to blatantly hold, thus reducing any loss of effectivness

4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

how can that be?

Mayock was a top TV draft "guru" against which all NFL teams were measured

couldn't be just another hack

The Raiders don't appear to have a talent problem.

17 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Amended that a bit. I don't expect Mac Jones to hang 40 on Houston, but Belicheat* will certainly have his defense confusing the snotshit out of Mills.

That's my thinking.  Plus there really aren't a ton of other games to trust taking NE.

I would love to know if Salah told Wilson "There are two things you CANNOT do in this situation.  Throw a pick or take a sack" during the timeout before Wilson took the sack. 

The good thing about the sack is it kept Salah from likely killing even the minimal chance the JETS had left of winning the game because he was forced to kick the FG.  Don't get me wrong, I probably woulda tried one shot from the 12 to get the TD they needed and then kicked the FG...but I have this feeling that Salah woulda just kept trying to score the TD, ignoring how much time was left yet still needing two scores.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I would love to know if Salah told Wilson "There are two things you CANNOT do in this situation.  Throw a pick or take a sack" during the timeout before Wilson took the sack. 

The good thing about the sack is it kept Salah from likely killing even the minimal chance the JETS had left of winning the game because he was forced to kick the FG.  Don't get me wrong, I probably woulda tried one shot from the 12 to get the TD they needed and then kicked the FG...but I have this feeling that Salah woulda just kept trying to score the TD, ignoring how much time was left yet still needing two scores.

I understand the logic of taking the field goal when you need two scores. Yet to my way of thinking, I think there has to be sort of a Mendoza line where, once you get to a certain point on the field, it makes way more sense to try and make that first score a TD.

Exactly where that point is would probably be different for many teams along with other external considerations

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I understand the logic of taking the field goal when you need two scores. Yet to my way of thinking, I think there has to be sort of a Mendoza line where, once you get to a certain point on the field, it makes way more sense to try and make that first score a TD.

Exactly where that point is would probably be different for many teams along with other external considerations

While everything is a situation...the biggest issue at that point was time.  I think when the ball was snapped before their final offensive play, there were 31 seconds left. 

• Like 1