Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Official ‘Other Games’ Thread - Thanksgiving Week - 12

Foxx

1 minute ago, Joe said:

What do you conclude that means about the picks they have spent on the DL

The problem isn't the defensive line.  It's the MLB and either walking up a safety or nickle corner to play WLB.  Almost every play we get beat on against the run is a missed gap assignment by one of those 3 players.

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

The problem isn't the defensive line.  It's the MLB and either walking up a safety or nickle corner to play WLB.  Almost every play we get beat on against the run is a missed gap assignment by one of those 3 players.

Was referring to your lack of pressure comments

2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm not sure they have the personnel to play a much different style.  There's only so much you can do when you're playing small nickle 90+% of the time.  The BILLS are very limited when it comes to blitzing because Milano is the only designated blitzer than can regularly take on a block and beat it.  Pretty much everyone else needs to come completely clean.

And that is a big part of the problem, they need a different type of MLB and 1TDT.  Given what they have now, they probably need to run more stunts and overloads; put Klein at MLB, don't drop him into coverage, and have him cover any lanes left open from the stunts.  Problem is mostly one of philosophy.  McD and Frazier are very similar to Dick Jauron, IMO.

Just now, Joe said:

Was referring to your lack of pressure comments

You're missing the larger point, as usual.  The DLine can't really "T-Off" against balanced team because they have to be so run conscious.  Most teams are effectively using play action and playing off Wallace/Onalim.

Just now, Core Four said:

And that is a big part of the problem, they need a different type of MLB and 1TDT.  Given what they have now, they probably need to run more stunts and overloads; put Klein at MLB, don't drop him into coverage, and have him cover any lanes left open from the stunts.  Problem is mostly one of philosophy.  McD and Frazier are very similar to Dick Jauron, IMO.

No argument there.  Onalim looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane and his lack of football intellect consistently leads to good outcome for our opponents.

• Haha 1

No argument there.  Onalim looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane and his lack of football intellect consistently leads to good outcome for our opponents.

Let's say you're right. Well let's not say that but let's ask why it is you think McDermott can't see that.

That's pretty funny...good stuff.  They seem to like him, though.  Edmund's 5th year is coming up and I don't know what they'll do with him.  I'd like to see him move outside and bring in another MLB.  I would guess it all depends on whether McD and Frazier change their mind on the base nickel, but I'm not holding my breath.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Let's say you're right. Well let's not say that but let's ask why it is you think McDermott can't see that.

It's a philosophy problem.  McD and Frazier are much different than guys like Belichick and Vrabel with regards to building a defense, scheme, and adaptability.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Core Four said:

It's a philosophy problem.  McD and Frazier are much different than guys like Belichick and Vrabel with regards to building a defense, scheme, and adaptability.

Can't fire the guy.

So, what? Just keep wasting picks on the defense?

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Colts choking

They fell apart in the second half.

I'm a lot more concerned about the 7th seed than the 1st seed so that's a good result for Buffalo.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

Pretty much all coaches have a philosophy that they stick to pretty hard.  He's been very successful at turning around the franchise but thus far the defense's Achilles heal has been the same pretty much every season.  He's also proven to be far more loyal to drafted players than he probably should be (think Onalim and Cody Ford, the latter of whom shoulda been jettisoned long before Wyatt Teller).

He's come a long way on offense but I think a decent amount of that is almost an admission of not really being a creative guy.

• Like 1

Just now, Joe said:

Can't fire the guy.

So, what? Just keep wasting picks on the defense?

McD *should* fire Frazier, but he won't.  The DLine was in shambles last year and needed to be addressed.  It will need to be addressed more this offseason.  It's not "wasting" picks, but rather scheme philosophy and personnel acquisition to fill a bad scheme/philosophy.

DaBillsFanSince1973

31-6

where have I seen that score before?

pats are coming to town with a 6 game win streak.

puke your guts out JA, what ever it takes to take down the evil empire.