Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Hollywoke -- A thread for Tinseltown's Tailspin into Televangelism

Deranged Rhino

Sam Elliott apologizes for blasting ‘Power of the Dog’ in podcast where he also talked about Portland
https://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/2022/04/sam-elliott-apologizes-for-blasting-power-of-the-dog-in-podcast-where-he-also-talked-about-portland.html

After the podcast featuring his criticisms first aired, Campion responded, telling Deadline, “I think it’s really unfortunate and sad for him, because he’s really hit the trifecta of misogyny and xenophobia and homophobia.”

Maron said he had recently been in Portland, adding, “It’s a little dark, and a little broken right now.”
“Yeah, it’s pretty (expletive)-up right now,” Elliott agreed.

No apologies needed for speaking the truth Sam.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 minutes ago, Ann said:

Sad thing is, if this were about abortion, and Disney were anti-abortion, the Republicans would be supporting them and Democrats calling for an end to Disney's legal privileges and exemptions.  

Politics in the US has become strictly about "Agree with us, or we'll punish you."

• Cheers 2

Billsandhorns
3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Sad thing is, if this were about abortion, and Disney were anti-abortion, the Republicans would be supporting them and Democrats calling for an end to Disney's legal privileges and exemptions.  

Politics in the US has become strictly about "Agree with us, or we'll punish you."

Why was Disney given such broad special privileges in the first place? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
39 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Why was Disney given such broad special privileges in the first place? 

Because they pretty much own Central Florida.

Kind-of my point, though.  Those reasons haven't really changed, have they?  Disney certainly wasn't granted those privileges based on social justice credit to begin with.

• Like 1

CarpetCrawler

Is Disney really going to change the color of Ursula's dress in The Little Mermaid because seeing a villain wearing purple is offensive to the LGBQTetc. community??? 

Billsandhorns
3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Kind-of my point, though.  Those reasons haven't really changed, have they?  Disney certainly wasn't granted those privileges based on social justice credit to begin with.

I don't see what they are doing is entirely based on social justice credit. Looks more like advocating grooming. But, I agree the reasons they were granted haven't changed

14 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I lived in Orlando (Winter Park) for about three years, and upon moving there from NC was told to remember two important Central Florida truths:

(1) Be a patient, courteous driver because you're surrounded by tourists who are lost and old, retired people who can't drive. We don't want a NY-like road rage reputation.

(2) The Mouse is the reason there is no state income tax. Respect the Mouse at all times.

It was different than the important truths I was taught when I move to NC, which was, essentially, that the Civil War is actually called the War of Northern Aggression, and 'ah' is core to speaking southern, as in "Ah think ah got somethin' in mah ah."

• Haha 1

https://www.outkick.com/disney-marks-tinker-bell-captain-hook-as-problematic-stereotypes/

Disney recently looked through its library of content in search of characters who might ooze offensive stereotypes.

According to the New York Times, Disney found both Tinker Bell and Captain Hook from the 1953 movie Peter Pan as “problematic” and labeled them as such in a message to senior leaders.

Disney says it marked Tinker Bell for caution because she is “body-conscious” and jealous of Peter Pan’s attention.

As for Captain Hook, Disney fears that he could expose the audience to — and this is too detailed not to quote — “discrimination or prejudice against individuals with disabilities because he is a villain.”

Do you remember Ursula the Sea Witch from The Little Mermaid? She’s problematic too.

Disney fears that viewers could find Ursula’s dark complexion racist and her flamboyant mannerisms “queer coded.”

• Facepalm 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Disney fears that viewers could find Ursula’s dark complexion racist and her flamboyant mannerisms “queer coded.”

She's light blue.  :facepalm:

• Facepalm 1

If Disney does lose its status, what are they going to do, pack up DisneyWorld and leave? I'm sure the stockholders would love the loss in revenue, on top of the billions it would cost to build a new park in another state.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

I don't see what they are doing is entirely based on social justice credit. Looks more like advocating grooming. But, I agree the reasons they were granted haven't changed

sure - the reasons have changed

the need to entice Disney to build in Florida has long since passed

Disney is not leaving Florida to protest Florida pulling its Vatican-like govt exception.

Disney self-government in peril after Florida House vote

Interesting bit here:

The creation of the Reedy Creek Improvement District, and the control it gave Disney over 27,000 acres (11,000 hectares) in Florida, was a crucial element in the company’s plans to build near Orlando in the 1960s. Company officials said they needed autonomy to plan a futuristic city along with the theme park. The city never materialized, however; instead, it morphed into the Epcot theme park.

So, basically Disney's been full of shit for 55 years as to why they "needed" this autonomy.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
42 minutes ago, Koko said:

Disney self-government in peril after Florida House vote

Interesting bit here:

So, basically Disney's been full of shit for 55 years as to why they "needed" this autonomy.

I've always heard Epcot referred to as a "futuristic city," this is the first time I've heard it described as "morphed" away from it.

To be clear: I loathe Disney, with the burning intensity of a thousand suns, and Disney is, in fact, routinely full of shit.  But I think, in this case, it's less Disney being full of shit and more the story being recast to demonize them in line with current popular outrage.