Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Hollywoke -- A thread for Tinseltown's Tailspin into Televangelism

Deranged Rhino

IDBillzFan
16 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I feel like this is what happens when you mix Guardians of the Galaxy with Wicked! and Shrek.

• Haha 2

Deranged Rhino
Just now, IDBillzFan said:

:classic_laugh:

It's a bloodbath right now. I will say more when I can without compromising my own career - but damn. The wokester model is being shown the door. And people are confused, angry, and blaming "the man" rather than their audiences or their own product. 

I have a pretty loose circle of a couple dozen or so working writer friends. This time last week, I'd say 90% were employed or developing their own projects (for pay). Today, that number is down to 1. Not one percent. One person with a job. 

ONE! 

And to be fair to my friends in question, only 50% or less were activist writers. Most were just trying to keep working in a historically fickle and tough industry. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

IDBillzFan
9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

And to be fair to my friends in question, only 50% or less were activist writers. Most were just trying to keep working in a historically fickle and tough industry. 

My son went out with friends to see Dr. Strange 2 this weekend and when asked how he liked the movie, his response was "It was horrible. If I wasn't hanging with my friends I would have left. The first 30 minutes made no sense and the rest of it was woke garbage that distracted from the movie."

He and his friends REALLY hate all the woke messaging being pushed in movies these days. I don't know that pissing off 17-year-olds is a good model for Hollywood.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Deranged Rhino
1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

My son went out with friends to see Dr. Strange 2 this weekend and when asked how he liked the movie, his response was "It was horrible. If I wasn't hanging with my friends I would have left. The first 30 minutes made no sense and the rest of it was woke garbage that distracted from the movie."

He and his friends REALLY hate all the woke messaging being pushed in movies these days. I don't know that pissing off 17-year-olds is a good model for Hollywood.

100% Burning down their core demo in order to cater to an unknown number of Twitter/Insta/Facebook followers was never a wise financial decision. As much as I hate how the business side of the industry gutted the middle-class movies in favor of tent-poles and capes, it at least made financial sense. 

This move to preaching never did. It violated every rule of writing and filmmaking ever taught. "Show don't tell" was turned into "beat the viewer over the head with the message of the moment" by activists with too much clout and money to care about the ramifications. And, because one or two of those early films worked, the whole model turned into worse and worse imitations.

We will see what kind of adjustments are made long term. No one knows if this is a momentary bump (due to the Disney/FL pushback) or if it's a real change in how the business will operate in future.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's a bloodbath right now. I will say more when I can without compromising my own career - but damn. The wokester model is being shown the door. And people are confused, angry, and blaming "the man" rather than their audiences or their own product. 

I have a pretty loose circle of a couple dozen or so working writer friends. This time last week, I'd say 90% were employed or developing their own projects (for pay). Today, that number is down to 1. Not one percent. One person with a job. 

ONE! 

Is it time yet to pitch my non-woke Red Storm Rising treatment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Deranged Rhino
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Is it time yet to pitch my non-woke Red Storm Rising treatment?

Getting closer by the day. 

Buffalo Timmy
15 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

One comment of Dr Strange 2 is that Marvel is also going to the "super fan" model. They are going to try and make it for just those who love it and use that to make the money since they have exhausted the big tent ability of Marvel.

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I have a feeling he's going to really enjoy Thor 4 in a few months.

• Haha 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

One comment of Dr Strange 2 is that Marvel is also going to the "super fan" model. They are going to try and make it for just those who love it and use that to make the money since they have exhausted the big tent ability of Marvel.

That'll happen when you tie up your cinematic universe with a movie called "Endgame," but keep making movies.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Buffalo Timmy
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

That'll happen when you tie up your cinematic universe with a movie called "Endgame," but keep making movies.

I give them credit they produced 20 movies in a decade that I wanted to watch. The newer stuff not so.much

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Joe Miner said:

I have a feeling he's going to really enjoy Thor 4 in a few months.

I so wanted to see Dr Strange. The timing didn't work, then the reviews (from real people) came in and I wasn't sorry to have missed it. I am cautiously hopeful for Thor 4 - how bad can it really be? Even if it is total crap I get to stare at Chris Hemsworth for two hours (it helps that I like the GOTG crew).  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 minutes ago, Ann said:

I so wanted to see Dr Strange. The timing didn't work, then the reviews (from real people) came in and I wasn't sorry to have missed it. I am cautiously hopeful for Thor 4 - how bad can it really be? Even if it is total crap I get to stare at Chris Hemsworth for two hours (it helps that I like the GOTG crew).  

I wanted to see it, but @IDBillzFan has ruined for me all things Dr. Strange with his "General Zod after a day at the spa" quip.

• Like 1

Deranged Rhino
27 minutes ago, Ann said:

Plus, Taika Waititi is hard not to like. Pretty much everything he does is hilarious. 

Taika Waititi GIF - Taika Waititi Arrogant - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
16 minutes ago, B-Man said:

The reboot of Quantum Leap is sounding like a steaming pile of woke garbage.

What's so mind-numbingly stupid about this is that they could write the show with a white male protagonist jumping in to minority bodies/situation to "teach the evil white man a lesson), which would also tick off all their woke boxes, but in a much more dramatic way.

But they're so locked in to their inflexible woke casting and writing processes that they can't even see how to properly write woke drama.  :classic_laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

What's so mind-numbingly stupid about this is that they could write the show with a white male protagonist jumping in to minority bodies/situation to "teach the evil white man a lesson), which would also tick off all their woke boxes, but in a much more dramatic way.

But they're so locked in to their inflexible woke casting and writing processes that they can't even see how to properly write woke drama.  :classic_laugh: 

Was going to say that the original was actually pretty woke if one paid attentention.

Sad to see them ruin another good show.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Was going to say that the original was actually pretty woke if one paid attentention.

Sad to see them ruin another good show.

It wasn't woke.  It was balanced and nuanced.

"Woke" is neither of those.  It's social Manichaeism.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

It wasn't woke.  It was balanced and nuanced.

"Woke" is neither of those.  It's social Manichaeism.  

OK.  It was what "woke" at its best CLAIMS to strive for.

Though it was seeing the good in individuals & the hardships they had to battle through rather than blanketly viewing everyone in a particular group as being the same.  So, in that regard, it wasn't woke at all. 

It was quite a bit on the progressive end of things when it aired.  (My how that has changed.)