Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 Bills offseason

4merper4mer

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Someone please explain to me again why we specifically need the Punter to hold for kicks?

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

It's a pet peeve of mine and has been since it became a more regular thing.  Backup QBs give you at least the opportunity to fake or do something positive in the event of a bad snap, though needing 15 yards to score makes using the punter "not quite as big a deal".

The punter spends an inordinate amount of time fielding long snaps from the long snapper. He generally has very soft hands, receives the ball well, and has thousands of repetitions with the guy snapping the ball. It’s a skill set.

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

should have Josh do it

they need to spread that huge salary over as many plays as possible

You’re just absolutely chock-full of bad ideas today, aren’t you.

Commit one of the leagues too wide men to running underneath routes into linebackers, and have our franchise quarterback work as a holder.

Whats next? Ask McKenzie to play the 1T?

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ann

• Core Four

• Foxx

• IDBillzFan

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

, and have our franchise quarterback work as a holder.

Really

this is what you spend time responding to?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

You’re just absolutely chock-full of bad ideas today, aren’t you.

Just today?  There are plenty of bad ideas mentioned over a decent time span.

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
53 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Really

this is what you spend time responding to?

You are aware that this is a message board, correct?

And that the way that message boards function is to respond to other people’s posts?

Or is your complaint that you believe what you posted is so ridiculous that it didn’t deserve a response?

That might actually be reasonable, and a tremendous self-own.

I will point out that I did also respond to your absurd post claiming that Andre Reed was a slot receiver, where you demonstrated an absolute dearth of knowledge about the history and evolution of football, both scheme and positional understanding. That was some wild shit, man.

Deranged Rhino
2 hours ago, Ann said:

I know all the risks - and that it'd be a short term rental - but when Saquon is right, he's lethal. Assuming the cap number can work without limiting adding another piece or two, particularly on D, I'd send a day 3 pick for him and roll those dice without hesitation. 

If the Bills can't figure out a successful screen game with Barkley in the fold, they never will. 🙂 

• Like 3

Bills re-signed Isaiah McKenzie to a two-year contract.

This would seem to portend badly for slot receiver Cole Beasley, who McKenzie played over at times down the stretch. The sixth-year receiver had an 11-reception, 125-yard day against the Patriots in Week 16 last season, and also showed well against the Pats in the Divisional Round with 74 combined rushing and receiving yards. McKenzie figures to be low in the pecking order in 2022 but anyone with a pulse that's connected to Josh Allen is worth fantasy consideration. 

per Rotoworld

2 yr/4.4 mil

Edited by Whatnot78
updated the correct contract amount
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

But before I begin describing my off-season plan, keep in mind that I don’t even think the biggest problem from last year was the noticeable lack of elite talent at a few key positions (namely G, DE, speed at WR, and speed at CB). More than anything, I blame stubbornness and a lack of schematic creativity from our coaching staff. Daboll was way too reliant on Josh’s individual talents and on the “11” personnel package, while Frazier was way too reliant on the 4-2-5 nickel formation and simple 4-man pass-rushing fronts. Both Dorsey and Frazier need to emphasize heavier personnel packages this coming season. Greater play-calling versatility and complexity will be the key to handling the more physical teams, the bad weather games, teams with more experienced head coaches, and teams with veteran quarterbacks. The 2022 schedule is going to be harder than the 2021 one, and the Bills should have enough returning players to justify the added thickness to their playbooks

First off, GREAT post and well thought out.  I agree with the majority of what you wrote, though differ on a few items which is below.  Coaching was our biggest problem this past season, which reflects poorly on McDermott.

IMO, we're lucky Daboll went to NYG as a familiarity hire by Joe Schoen, who I think will both be looking for jobs in 3-5 years.  Daboll wasn't a good OC, at all.  He was very lucky he had Josh, who carried the offense.  It seems that Daboll wanted to show everyone how smart he was with his trick/gadget plays, which too often ended up backfiring.  His short passing, blocking, and run game scheme left much to be desired, which he kind of seemed to just give up on.  Hopefully Dorsey is a much better game planner and play caller than Daboll, time will tell.

Frazier is a basket case who is basically running the same defensive scheme as Dick Jauron, and he never adjusts or changes his scheme up since it is the same scheme as 2017...only some of the players have come and gone.  Frazier and his defense have been discussed ad nauseam here; to sum it up, the Bills will only get so far in the playoffs if nothing changes on the defensive side.  Frazier cannot beat a high powered offense (such as KC) or a strong run game (Indy, Tennessee) with his nickel scheme, yet this hasn't dawned on him.  He needs to be replaced, though McD won't do it either because he philosophically agrees, and/or he is loyal to a fault...McD and Frazier go back 20 years as coaches under Andy Reid in Philly.

14 Free Agents/Recent Cuts To Not Re-Sign: QB Mitch Trubisky, RB Taiwan Jones, RB Matt Breida, WR Emmanuel Sanders, WR Isaiah McKenzie, T Bobby Hart, G Jon Feliciano, G Ike Boettger, DT Vernon Butler, DE Jerry Hughes, DE Mario Addison, DE Efe Obada, DE Bryan Cox Jr., LB A.J. Klein

I'd love to re-sign Trubisky, but that's probably not likely as he will most likely get a shot at starting and a much higher salary.  Good for him, I really hope Mitch does well at his next stop.

4 Free Agents To Re-Sign: G Ryan Bates, DT Harrison Phillips (~$5 million per year?), DT Justin Zimmer, CB Levi Wallace (~$6 million per year?)

I'd like to re-sign Phillips, but at the 1TDT spot, he is most useful at passing downs.  He's not a space eater at all, which the Bills desperately need.  Not sure how Harry would feel about getting 33% or so playing time.

Zimmer I could take or leave.  He strikes me as a high motor guy, but not a difference maker at all.  I wouldn't break the bank on him.

Wallace should not be re-signed.  Not that good (burnt often and usually commits a lot of dumb PI), and certainly not worth $6M/year.  I think he can be replaced in the draft, give Dane Jackson a shot to compete for CB2 with a rookie.

8 Players Under Contract To Keep But With Restructured Contracts: WR Stefon Diggs, TE Dawson Knox, T Daryl Williams, C Mitch Morse, DT Star Lotulelei, LB Tyler Matakevich, S Jordan Poyer, S Micah Hyde

Darryl Williams should be released.  Not worth keeping, even if he would agree to a pay cut.  He was the weakest link on the oline at both T and RG.  Can be replaced through the draft.

Mitch Morse - depends on how the draft shakes out.  If Beane can get a C, Morse can be cut post 6/1.  If not, hopefully he will agree to a restructure.  This would most likely mean the Bills would commit to him through at least 2023, which I'm not sure I like.  Maybe it is best to keep him in 2022 at his current $11.25M cap hit.

Star needs to be cut.  Not worth his salary (rarely does he occupy 2 blockers), as well as availability issues.  This is a must replace through the draft, possibly in the 3rd or 4th round.

5 Key Positions To Fill From Other Teams’ Free Agent Lists: backup QB (Kyle Allen from the Commanders?), explosive slot WR (Christian Kirk from the Cards at ~$10 million per year?), second TE option (Evan Engram from the Giants at ~$7 million per year?), veteran backup T (no idea…), Pro Bowl-caliber DE (Chandler Jones from the Cards at ~$12 million per year?)

I like the idea of Kirk to play slot, as well as Engram at TE.  Hope Beane can work them into the cap or give them a lot of up front money, worst case.

EDIT: Just saw McKenzie was re-signed (I thought he was gone for sure), so they probably won't sign Christian Kirk.

Chandler Jones - Highly doubt Beane brings him in at $15M, or even $12M per year.  There is a lot of resources spent on the dline already and more is needed, I can't imagine a 32 year old DE is the answer.  Instead, look for Beane to sign Shaq Lawson.

Good stuff, thanks for the well though out post.

Edited by Core Four
  • Cheers 4

18 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

I will point out that I did also respond to your absurd post claiming that Andre Reed was a slot receiver, where you demonstrated an absolute dearth of knowledge about the history and evolution of football, both scheme and positional understanding. That was some wild shit, man.

hard to believe Reed ever played in the slot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NwCCrzarZs

Seems he did it a lot 

must be some bizarro alternate universe from where you watch your games

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/06/buffalo-bills-houston-oilers-wild-card-1993-warren-moon-frank-reich-run-shoot

Reich mostly operated out of the gun. James Lofton and Don Beebe lined up outside with Andre Reed lined up in the slot.

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/01/28/new-york-jets-wayne-chrebet-friends-greatest-slot-wide-receivers-nfl-history/

6. Andre Reed

From the Run and Shoot to the K-Gun, we now touch on Andre Reed.

The Kutztown product may have showcased a few outbursts at times, but when he slid into the slot for Jim Kelly, madness ensued.

Reed amassed 13,198 yards and 87 touchdowns on 951 grabs over a 16-year career. The only thing keeping him higher on the list was his dangerous presence as an outside guy as well. Don Beebe shared the slot workload with Reed for much of the K-Gun era.

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
2 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

hard to believe Reed ever played in the slot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NwCCrzarZs

Seems he did it a lot 

must be some bizarro alternate universe from where you watch your games

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/06/buffalo-bills-houston-oilers-wild-card-1993-warren-moon-frank-reich-run-shoot

Reich mostly operated out of the gun. James Lofton and Don Beebe lined up outside with Andre Reed lined up in the slot.

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/01/28/new-york-jets-wayne-chrebet-friends-greatest-slot-wide-receivers-nfl-history/

6. Andre Reed

From the Run and Shoot to the K-Gun, we now touch on Andre Reed.

The Kutztown product may have showcased a few outbursts at times, but when he slid into the slot for Jim Kelly, madness ensued.

Reed amassed 13,198 yards and 87 touchdowns on 951 grabs over a 16-year career. The only thing keeping him higher on the list was his dangerous presence as an outside guy as well. Don Beebe shared the slot workload with Reed for much of the K-Gun era.

Congratulations on quoting another muppet who thinks “flanker” and “slot” are synonyms.

You can enjoy being wrong together.

• Haha 1

RochesterRob
21 minutes ago, Core Four said:

First off, GREAT post and well thought out.  I agree with the majority of what you wrote, though differ on a few items which is below.  Coaching was our biggest problem this past season, which reflects poorly on McDermott.

IMO, we're lucky Daboll went to NYG as a familiarity hire by Joe Schoen, who I think will both be looking for jobs in 3-5 years.  Daboll wasn't a good OC, at all.  He was very lucky he had Josh, who carried the offense.  It seems that Daboll wanted to show everyone how smart he was with his trick/gadget plays, which too often ended up backfiring.  His short passing, blocking, and run game scheme left much to be desired, which he kind of seemed to just give up on.  Hopefully Dorsey is a much better game planner and play caller than Daboll, time will tell.

Frazier is a basket case who is basically running the same defensive scheme as Dick Jauron, and he never adjusts or changes his scheme up since it is the same scheme as 2017...only some of the players have come and gone.  Frazier and his defense have been discussed ad nauseam here; to sum it up, the Bills will only get so far in the playoffs if nothing changes on the defensive side.  Frazier cannot beat a high powered offense (such as KC) or a strong run game (Indy, Tennessee) with his nickel scheme, yet this hasn't dawned on him.  He needs to be replaced, though McD won't do it either because he philosophically agrees, and/or he is loyal to a fault...McD and Frazier go back 20 years as coaches under Andy Reid in Philly.

I'd love to re-sign Trubisky, but that's probably not likely as he will most likely get a shot at starting and a much higher salary.  Good for him, I really hope Mitch does well at his next stop.

I'd like to re-sign Phillips, but at the 1TDT spot, he is most useful at passing downs.  He's not a space eater at all, which the Bills desperately need.  Not sure how Harry would feel about getting 33% or so playing time.

Zimmer I could take or leave.  He strikes me as a high motor guy, but not a difference maker at all.  I wouldn't break the bank on him.

Wallace should not be re-signed.  Not that good (burnt often and usually commits a lot of dumb PI), and certainly not worth $6M/year.  I think he can be replaced in the draft, give Dane Jackson a shot to compete for CB2 with a rookie.

Darryl Williams should be released.  Not worth keeping, even if he would agree to a pay cut.  He was the weakest link on the oline at both T and RG.  Can be replaced through the draft.

Mitch Morse - depends on how the draft shakes out.  If Beane can get a C, Morse can be cut post 6/1.  If not, hopefully he will agree to a restructure.  This would most likely mean the Bills would commit to him through at least 2023, which I'm not sure I like.  Maybe it is best to keep him in 2022 at his current $11.25M cap hit.

Star needs to be cut.  Not worth his salary (rarely does he occupy 2 blockers), as well as availability issues.  This is a must replace through the draft, possibly in the 3rd or 4th round.

I like the idea of Kirk to play slot, as well as Engram at TE.  Hope Beane can work them into the cap or give them a lot of up front money, worst case.

EDIT: Just saw McKenzie was re-signed (I thought he was gone for sure), so they probably won't sign Christian Kirk.

Chandler Jones - Highly doubt Beane brings him in at $15M, or even $12M per year.  There is a lot of resources spent on the dline already and more is needed, I can't imagine a 32 year old DE is the answer.  Instead, look for Beane to sign Shaq Lawson.

Good stuff, thanks for the well though out post.

If Chandler Jones comes in it most likely means that somebody like Hughes will be gone.  Don't know the cap ramifications of this but I wonder a lot if McD is not ready for a new approach.

• Wow 1

17 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

If Chandler Jones comes in it most likely means that somebody like Hughes will be gone.  Don't know the cap ramifications of this but I wonder a lot if McD is not ready for a new approach.

I think guys like Hughes, Addison, and Butler are gone...hopefully Star, too.  There is a ton of resources tied up on the dline, so I just don't see another $12m - $15m spent on a 32 year old DE as being realistic...as good as Chandler Jones is.

I really hope McD is ready to change the scheme up on defense, especially with the front seven.  It's so predictable and playoff caliber teams don't have much of a problem beating it.  I lean toward this defensive scheme and coaching being the primary issue, not the players.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Congratulations on quoting another muppet who thinks “flanker” and “slot” are synonyms.

You can enjoy being wrong together.

just take the loss and go back to your "Arguing Semantics" guidebook

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
26 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

just take the loss and go back to your "Arguing Semantics" guidebook

Words have meanings.

The purpose of this is so that people can understand each other and communicate.

Some words are synonyms for each other.

“Synonym” means “words that mean the same thing”.

An example of this would be: “common” and “usual”.

Other words mean different things, like “slot receiver” and “flanker”.

A slot receiver is *a role within an offensive system*.

A flanker is *a positional alignment*.

You know, as a market anarchist I’ve never really been one for government intervention of any sort, but you’ve made a very convincing argument that there should be a licensing requirement for talking about wide receivers on the internet.

• Haha 2