Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 Bills offseason

4merper4mer

Deranged Rhino
3 hours ago, Ann said:

Albert Breer's mailbag:

From John Green (@JGreen_PRsports): Was the big-name FA who approached the Bills on offense or defense?

John, I appreciate your asking the question—I do—and I hate to play this game, but I do know the name of the player and can’t share it. But trust me when I’m not exaggerating the “big name” part of it, nor do I think you can overplay the significance of the Bills being in the class of team that would receive such inquiries.

This is actually where New England used to be—and as we referenced in this week’s MAQB, the Patriots are slowly learning that veterans are no longer going to join them for short money, to gravy-train a ring or both. That Buffalo’s becoming that kind of team is a credit to the job Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane have done building the program there, first and foremost, and also, as I understand it, a reflection of the fact that guys want to play with Josh Allen (which … if you watched the AFC divisional playoffs, why wouldn’t you?).

It's a good time for the franchise.

I know I'm reading WAY into it, but going off what my agent friend told me about Robinson, I'm going to say the use of "receive" in that bolded section was a hint. 

Just because Breer is a joker like that.

• Like 1

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ann

• Core Four

• Foxx

• IDBillzFan

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I don't buy it. 

maybe to include TJ Watt or Devin Bush

this guy is probably throwing crap at the wall to get something before they cut Joe Haden

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ann said:

Albert Breer's mailbag:

From John Green (@JGreen_PRsports): Was the big-name FA who approached the Bills on offense or defense?

John, I appreciate your asking the question—I do—and I hate to play this game, but I do know the name of the player and can’t share it. But trust me when I’m not exaggerating the “big name” part of it, nor do I think you can overplay the significance of the Bills being in the class of team that would receive such inquiries.

This is actually where New England used to be—and as we referenced in this week’s MAQB, the Patriots are slowly learning that veterans are no longer going to join them for short money, to gravy-train a ring or both. That Buffalo’s becoming that kind of team is a credit to the job Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane have done building the program there, first and foremost, and also, as I understand it, a reflection of the fact that guys want to play with Josh Allen (which … if you watched the AFC divisional playoffs, why wouldn’t you?).

It's a good time for the franchise.

run Diggs out of the slot a lot

Deranged Rhino
11 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

maybe to include TJ Watt or Devin Bush

this guy is probably throwing crap at the wall to get something before they cut Joe Haden

It would have to be for something more than just draft capital. 

I doubt they move on from Watt after just paying him. Harris is likely a dream too but I'd take either one and give a day 3 pick to make it fair. 

Still, I don't see the Bills moving on from Edmunds yet. He's too young, they don't have to make a decision until next year. I know he catches (deserved) flack on here, but I get why the Bills wouldn't want to move on just yet. He's only 23, has the type of physical gifts you can't coach. It would be devastating to see him go on and become another Wyatt Teller for the Steelers or anyone else. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Wow 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
21 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I don't buy it. 

I'd trust 80% of the poster ATOP to have better info than this guy.  I read his Twitter feed, and it's like reading the "expert" commentary ATOP, sans the constant millennial creebing and whinging.

• Like 2

Deranged Rhino
3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I know I'm reading WAY into it, but going off what my agent friend told me about Robinson, I'm going to say the use of "receive" in that bolded section was a hint. 

Just because Breer is a joker like that.

So much for that... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Spartacus said:

time to cut bait on Beane

he has failed to lay out his whole plan to this talking head 

and the armpit knows better- so time to go

maybe Beane is working on a long term contract for Bates?

maybe Beane is contemplating at what level to tender him at

maybe Beane has a stud replacement 

maybe he was waiting to see if below would accept pay cut 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/09/report-bills-cutting-jon-feliciano/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

So much for that... 

who do you hope it is?

who would Beane make a move for?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2022-ranking-the-top-25-nfl-free-agents-available-on-defense/

RANKING FREE AGENTS ON DEFENSE

headshot-image
Von MillerLOS ANGELES RAMS OLB
Miller is still one of the best pass rushers that the NFL has to offer. Not only will he be able to help any unit get after the quarterback, but the 32-year-old is a winner, with this latest Super Bowl run with the Rams being the latest example. The two-time Super Bowl champion totaled five sacks in eight regular-season games after being acquired by the Rams and tacked on four more sacks in the postseason. Re-signing with L.A. is a likely option for Miller as the Rams look to defend their title in 2022, but if another team can pry him away they'll be getting a future Hall of Fame talent.
headshot-image
Chandler JonesARIZONA CARDINALS OLB
Jones is another elite pass rusher and was right back to being a game-wrecking presence along the Cardinals ' front seven in 2021 after being limited to just five games the previous year. He finished with 10.5 sacks on the season with five of those coming in the Week 1 opener against Tennessee. The 2021 Pro Bowler also had 36 pressures and 26 quarterback hits. Adding quality pass rushers is always going to be of interest throughout the league and Jones could be set to cash in on the open market, especially if Miller decides to go back to Los Angeles.
headshot-image
J.C. JacksonNEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS CB
Jackson has been one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL since coming into the league as an undrafted free agent in 2018. He's also been one of the biggest bargains for the Patriots as Jackson played the 2021 season on a second-round restricted free agent tender that was valued at just under $3.4 million. This past season, Jackson became New England's top corner following the departure of Stephon Gilmore and continued to play at a high level. He totaled a league-leading 23 pass breakups and had eight interceptions. He also allowed just 49.1% of the targets thrown his way to be completed. That level of production should lead to Jackson making top-of-the-market money once free agency opens up.
headshot-image
Marcus WilliamsNEW ORLEANS SAINTS FS
Williams played the 2021 season on the franchise tag and is now looking to hit the open market after another solid season in New Orleans. He defended eight passes this past year and had a career-high 74 tackles while allowing opposing quarterbacks to complete just 48.8% of their targets thrown in his direction. He's also been remarkably durable over his career and played 98% of the defensive snaps for the Saints in 2021. At just 25 years old, Williams should have plenty of suitors ranging from contenders to teams looking to build upon their budding secondaries, which will likely make him one of the highest-paid safeties in the league.
headshot-image
Jessie BatesCINCINNATI BENGALS FS
Bates was one of the key members of the Bengals ' Super Bowl run this season and particularly turned up his level of play in the playoffs. During that Super Bowl run, Bates, who is already considered one of the better safeties in the league, totaled 20 tackles, defended six passes, and recorded two interceptions. While he was able to improve his play as the season went on, he did struggle in coverage a bit over the regular season as quarterbacks completed 80% of their passes thrown in his direction. Still, Bates is someone Cincinnati should look to make a priority of keeping as it builds this core around Joe Burrow , but if the Bengals do let him test free agency, he'll have plenty of teams interested in his services to bolster the back end of their secondaries.
headshot-image
Carlton DavisTAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS CB
Davis is one of the few young cornerbacks hitting the free agent market this offseason, so he'll garner plenty of interest throughout the league. The Bucs' former second-round pick can be a true No. 1 corner and has the physicality to play man coverage and square off against a team's top receiving option. He was limited to 10 games in the regular season due to a quad injury but was able to return late in the year to help the Bucs land in the postseason. Over that stretch, the 25-year-old defended 11 passes and recorded one pick, while allowing 57.1% of his targets to be completed.
headshot-image
Jadeveon ClowneyCLEVELAND BROWNS DE
Veteran pass-rushing help will always be a sought-after ability in the NFL and Clowney does bring that to the table. After a disappointing run with the Titans in 2020, Clowney inked a deal with the Browns and enjoyed a solid bounce-back season. Over 14 games, he totaled nine sacks, 11 tackles for a loss, and 32 pressures. Of course, Clowney's life was made a bit easier at attacking the quarterback with opposing teams paying a bit more attention to Myles Garrett along the Browns' front seven. The former No. 1 overall pick may not be able to carry a defense, but he'll certainly be a strong contributor for a team looking to make a Super Bowl run.
headshot-image
Randy GregoryDALLAS COWBOYS DE
Gregory has resurrected his career nicely over the past two years after struggling with off-the-field issues. He's a legit game-changing pass rusher, who had 29 pressures for Dallas last season and was second on the team in sacks (6) only looking up to Defensive Rookie of the Year Micah Parsons . His explosiveness and ability to get after the quarterback will be attractive to several teams if the Cowboys let him hit the market.
headshot-image
Stephon GilmoreCAROLINA PANTHERS CB
A contract dispute between Gilmore and the Patriots contributed to the star cornerback starting last season on the PUP list and was eventually traded to the Carolina Panther in the middle of the season. He ended up playing in nine games (eight starts) and recorded two interceptions during his stint in Carolina. That clunky 2021 campaign and the fact that he missed the back half of the 2020 season due to a quad injury has lowered the 31-year-old's stock a bit, but he's also not far off from winning the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year honor, either. Given his talent and experience playing deep into the playoffs (Super Bowl LIII champion), he'd be the perfect addition for a Super Bowl-caliber team looking for an added boost to its secondary.
headshot-image
Tyrann MathieuKANSAS CITY CHIEFS FS
Mathieu is a versatile weapon that the Chiefs have used splendidly in their secondary over the last few years. While Patrick Mahomes is the face of the K.C. offense, there's a case to be made that Mathieu has been that type of figure on the defensive side of the ball as the Chiefs have contended for Super Bowls. The 29-year-old can play more traditionally in the back end of the secondary, line up in the slot or situate himself in the box and still find success, which will make him an appealing target. The "Honey Badger" has also been a durable piece to the Chiefs' secondary over the last three seasons, playing no fewer than 94% of the defensive snaps in a season.
headshot-image
Emmanuel OgbahMIAMI DOLPHINS DE
After moving around the league to begin his career, Ogbah seemed to find his footing over the last two seasons in Miami. For the Dolphins , he's posted back-to-back seasons with nine sacks and at least 36 pressures. In 2021, he also defended 12 passes. While he may not be considered elite at his position, Ogbah is an ascending player that can be productive in the right situation.
headshot-image
De'Vondre CampbellGREEN BAY PACKERS ILB
Campbell signed on with the Packers last offseason and the one-year stint in Green Bay did prove to be a productive one. Campbell put together an All-Pro season for the first time in his career after totaling a career-high 146 tackles to go along with two forced fumbles, two picks, and five pass breakups. That production now has Campbell in line for quite the payday on the open market. While Campbell did enjoy a strong year, teams might be wondering where this has been throughout his career. Nevertheless, they'll be getting a solid off-ball linebacker that just played 97% of the snaps last season.
headshot-image
Haason ReddickCAROLINA PANTHERS OLB
Reddick has been unlocked after making the switch to an edge rusher two seasons ago. Now, he's posted back-to-back double-digit sack seasons and has done so with two different organizations after signing a one-year deal with Carolina last offseason. Reddick's speed is what has allowed him to find success off the edge and he has totaled 23.5 sacks the past two seasons.

Arm of Harm

Both Stephon Gilmore and Haason Reddick (OLB) are free agents who spent last season with the Panthers. Will both those guys just automatically end up in Buffalo, or do the Bills need to go through formalities such as signing them to contracts?

Billsandhorns
1 minute ago, Arm of Harm said:

Both Stephon Gilmore and Haason Reddick (OLB) are free agents who spent last season with the Panthers. Will both those guys just automatically end up in Buffalo, or do the Bills need to go through formalities such as signing them to contracts?

Gilmore is also a former Bill and did ok here, just got burned a lot

On 3/8/2022 at 11:43 AM, Alaska Darin said:

I just someplace on Twitter that at least one high profile FA has contacted the BILLS because he's interested in playing in WNY.  The world is changing, people because that RARELY happens.

Chandler Jones, come on down.

could be Clowney

big name, chasing a ring

• O Rly 1

On 3/10/2022 at 12:42 PM, Billsandhorns said:

Gilmore is also a former Bill and did ok here, just got burned a lot

All CBs get burned a lot, which is probably due to the rules favoring the WR.  IMO, a CB is not worth a premium contract.

Billsandhorns
Just now, Core Four said:

All CBs get burned a lot, which is probably due to the rules favoring the WR.  IMO, a CB is not worth a premium contract.

No argument there. He just seems to get burned more often and blames everyone else but himself.  He didn't want to be in Buffalo last time he was here, and does not strike me as the type of player that would buy in to the culture 

Just now, Billsandhorns said:

No argument there. He just seems to get burned more often and blames everyone else but himself.  He didn't want to be in Buffalo last time he was here, and does not strike me as the type of player that would buy in to the culture 

I'd agree with all of this.  I remember Gilmore getting burned and pointing a finger at the safety.  I think that was during the WRex years.  He did a lot better with NE, I hate to admit.

Billsandhorns
23 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I'd agree with all of this.  I remember Gilmore getting burned and pointing a finger at the safety.  I think that was during the WRex years.  He did a lot better with NE, I hate to admit.

He did improve. When the Bills played them and got a decent passing TD. If someone asked who got burned and all I had to say was toast and the people I watch games with immediately knew who I was talking about