Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

I can't recall yelling at Davis through the screen much last year.  This is some solid science on my part and it agrees with yours 🙂

Mostly I thought he should have gotten the ball more.  

I didn't yell at him at all.  But I did shake my head and sigh quite a bit.  Winced at McKenzie, too.

I only yelled at Onalim.

Alaska Darin
17 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I didn't yell at him at all.  But I did shake my head and sigh quite a bit.  Winced at McKenzie, too.

I only yelled at Onalim.

I wish I had that level of discipline.  I screamed at probably every DB who was in position but didn't make a play on the football, Saffold numerous times, IM6 probably dozens of times, and Onalim probably 50% of the snaps.

I'm a hoot to watch football with.  :classic_dry:

• Haha 3

On 4/12/2023 at 9:01 AM, Ann said:

Gabe Davis

Well obviously one can tell by those stats that he’s going in the obviously wrong direction - DOWNWARD!  

What other wide receiver has been obviously ranked 1st, then 2nd, then 3rd, and then 4th I ask you. 

It’s obvious to those of use that obviously know how to watch football that The Bills obviously need to move on from him before he obviously hits rock bottom going 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th in some obviously obscure but obviously relevant statistics! [/ATOP]

• Cheers 1

SquirminThurman
On 4/12/2023 at 9:01 AM, Ann said:

Gabe Davis

Hey someone stole my thunder! Same metrics I shared here earlier in the week (ok not QB under pressure). Those percentages only go up for his whole game. I'm happy to see some others out there telling the whole story. GD may never be a true WR1, but he is a fine WR2.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 3

The Bills recently have primarily used smurfs in the slot.  There was a guy named Andre Reed many years ago that was a somewhat bigger bodied guy that made great use of the slot.  A guy who would break a tackle over the middle every once in a while.  I'd like to see GD line up there a bit more.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

The Bills recently have primarily used smurfs in the slot.  There was a guy named Andre Reed many years ago that was a somewhat bigger bodied guy that made great use of the slot.  A guy who would break a tackle over the middle every once in a while.  I'd like to see GD line up there a bit more.  

Andre Reed was in the slot against the Dolphins so would be covered (or not) by Louis Oliver.

they never changed their defense, just like Frasier

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Andre Reed was in the slot against the Dolphins so would be covered (or not) by Louis Oliver.

they never changed their defense, just like Frasier

I don't know if you heard, but Fraizer's gone.  You can let it go.

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
7 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

Reed *occasionally* played in the slot, primarily in bunch formations, but he was *not* a slot receiver.

He was a *flanker*, or a Z.

Flanker and slot are not synonyms.

This isn’t to say that Reed wouldn’t have been excellent in the slot role. He was fearless, and knew how to find pockets of space.

He would have been wasted playing a pure slot, however. Reed was elite lining up on the outside as a WR1.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

GABE DAVIS

Interesting stuff regarding Gabe

Waldman reviews skill position players for a fantasy site.

His observation is that Gabe's hand position at point of catch is a fatal flaw that has not been corrected by coaching.

route running has also not improved.

McD/Beane think a new WR coach will make a difference.

maybe Dorsey is listening to Josh as well

https://forums.footballguys.com/threads/wr-gabriel-davis-buf.783434/page-38

Matt Waldman

Quentin Johnston with an impressive catch. It will be even more impressive if he can become the third WR I have scouted in 18 years who can produce consistently enough with suboptimal hands positions at the catch point.

The entire introduction to the WR class solo pod is about hands and catching (and coaching/ growth of specific skill sets). My hunch is that he's trying to help educate folks about his experience as it relates to his grades for QJ and his previous takes on Gabe Davis. His take: Gabe Davis was the third option that KC forced Allen to use to beat them and he did but that was more to do with Allen than Davis and that is spoke nothing of Davis other than his ability to be a deep threat/ home run hitter with inconsistent route running and hands skills that haven't improved since he initially scouted him. He's a player that needs to be schemed open and drops a lot of passes due to his hands technique. People that expected Davis to be more than that set themselves up for disappointment. Not that players can't change or grow but that it's not a thing worth banking on until it's observed and is less common that people might assume.

Josh Allen said the Bills need to put Gabe Davis in better situations in 2023.

More specifically, Allen said the team should put Davis into more "catch and run" situations rather than using him strictly as a boundary and downfield pass catcher. Davis, struggling with a nagging ankle injury for much of the 2022 season, was among the league's least efficient wideouts in the hyper-productive Buffalo offense. Allen joins Bills general manager Brandon Beane in giving a vote of confidence to Davis, 24, as he enters his fourth NFL season. Davis was the WR35 in fantasy leagues last season

SOURCE: Maddy Glab on Twitter

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:22 PM ET

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

drops a lot of passes due to his hands technique.

Absolutely, 100% true.  He regularly attempts to catch balls with incorrect hand placement and it does affect his drops. 

This catch is an excellent example.  His left hand is turned inside, making it far more likely that he'll drop the ball than if his hand is in the more natural under position.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/josh-allen-with-a-34-yard-touchdown-pass-to-gabe-davis-vs-kansas-city-chiefs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Absolutely, 100% true.  He regularly attempts to catch balls with incorrect hand placement and it does affect his drops. 

This catch is an excellent example.  His left hand is turned inside, making it far more likely that he'll drop the ball than if his hand is in the more natural under position.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/josh-allen-with-a-34-yard-touchdown-pass-to-gabe-davis-vs-kansas-city-chiefs

too bad our WR coach had his head up his ass, or no support from the OC, QB and HC to force Gabe to fix the problem

• Facepalm 1

Alaska Darin
22 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

too bad our WR coach had his head up his ass, or no support from the OC, QB and HC to force Gabe to fix the problem

it's just not that simple.  Bad habits tend to show up under pressure most often.  You can drill and drill and drill but reversion is always a possibility.  Guys get comfy doing what they've always done.

Aaron Judge has been trying all offseason to cut down his 2 strike swing.  He's already given up and we're less than 20 games into the season.  Sports are far more mental than physical, especially as the levels increase.

7 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

it's just not that simple.  Bad habits tend to show up under pressure most often.  You can drill and drill and drill but reversion is always a possibility.  Guys get comfy doing what they've always done.

Aaron Judge has been trying all offseason to cut down his 2 strike swing.  He's already given up and we're less than 20 games into the season.  Sports are far more mental than physical, especially as the levels increase.

catching 1000 balls from a juggs machine every day should do a pretty good job of instilling a new technique. 

the action becomes automatic  with no thought required (where old habits may arise) 

but it only works if the player is disciplined and there is strong outside follow up 

team has been too loosey goosey to really drill the fundamentals

same goes for tackling for the defense

Alaska Darin
18 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

catching 1000 balls from a juggs machine every day should do a pretty good job of instilling a new technique. 

the action becomes automatic  with no thought required (where old habits may arise) 

but it only works if the player is disciplined and there is strong outside follow up 

team has been too loosey goosey to really drill the fundamentals

same goes for tackling for the defense

Gabe is literally one of the hardest working players on our team.  There is plenty of video of him working IN HIS DRIVEWAY with his conditioning coach and his machine.  The videos have been posted numerous times on this site.

You constantly make wild assertions that aren't based in anything even remotely factual.  It's amazing how little you seem to appreciate a very well run franchise, especially given how bad it's been for almost 20 previous seasons.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

You constantly make wild assertions that aren't based in anything even remotely factual.  It's amazing how little you see to appreciate a very well run franchise, especially given how bad it's been for almost 20 previous seasons.

They're not well-run, they just pretend to look like they're well-run to hide the fact that they're poorly run.  WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!!11!1!!1!

• Haha 1