Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Jets Chat

Ann

Jets risers and fallers: How Zach Wilson, Tyler Conklin and others fared at OTAs (the Athletic)

</snip>

Faller: Zach Wilson, quarterback

This is sure to evoke hysteria. There’s no reason to panic yet, though. It’s only June. Nothing that happens now really matters. Training camp will be the true tell of whether Wilson is ready to take a second-year jump. But, if we’re being honest, Wilson hasn’t been overly impressive through the four media-open OTAs.

The 22-year-old has struggled with his accuracy. His decision-making is questionable at best, and it has led to interceptions (one on Wednesday, two on Thursday) and near interceptions. He’s thrown several passes that, in a game, would have led to the near decapitation of his receivers.

It hasn’t all been bad. Wilson threw an impressive deep ball to D.J. Montgomery, who beat rookie Sauce Gardner, on Wednesday. He connected with Corey Davis for a red-zone touchdown on Thursday. His best pass of any media-open OTA came on a laser deep crosser to Garrett Wilson, who dropped it as he hit the ground.

You just hoped to see a little bit more conviction, decisiveness and average baseline to this point.

It’s important to note that these OTAs are about learning and the media aren’t in the meeting rooms. The Jets aren’t worried and see signs there Wilson is progressing. He’s trusting his reads much more this year and when he misses a throw, he knows exactly what happened and where he should have gone — that wasn’t the case in 2021.

The Jets also have so many new pieces on offense, they’re only running eight first-team, 11-on-11 drills per practice, and the scripted seven-on-seven periods aren’t real football. That’s likely contributing to some of Wilson’s struggles, too.

A strong string of minicamp practices will ease any concerns brought forth by OTAs.

</snip>

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
Alaska Darin

USC QBs who've had real success in the NFL:

1.  Carson Palmer

That's literally the end of the list.

Haden, Booty, Marinovich, Leinart, Johnson, Barkley, Sanchez, Vince Evans, Rodney Peete, Paul McDonald, Mike Rae are all on the scrap heap.  Johnson is closer to the top professionally than the bottom.  It's that sad.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
8 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

USC QBs who've had real success in the NFL:

1.  Carson Palmer

That's literally the end of the list.

Haden, Booty, Marinovich, Leinart, Johnson, Barkley, Sanchez, Vince Evans, Rodney Peete, Paul McDonald, Mike Rae are all on the scrap heap.  Johnson is closer to the top professionally than the bottom.  It's that sad.

"I've got to get a Todd Marinovich rookie card.  This guy is going places."  Me, circa October 1992.  :doh:

Edited by Crap Throwing Monkey
  • Haha 3

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

"I've got to get a Todd Marinovich rookie card.  This guy is going places."  Me, circa October 1992.  :doh:

From a pure talent perspective, that's understandable.  Marv really screwed that kid up by not letting him ever be anything but the "next great QB" pretty much from birth.  I remember one of the articles in Sports Illustrated talking about how strict his diet was and how he'd never tasted a Coke or had a Big Mac.  The story reminds me a lot of the Catholic school girls I used to pick up at youth group and corrupt because they just want some sense of control of who they are.

As soon as Todd really got out from under Marv, he discovered booze, drugs, and women.  He was designed to fail.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

From a pure talent perspective, that's understandable.  Marv really screwed that kid up by not letting him ever be anything but the "next great QB" pretty much from birth.  I remember one of the articles in Sports Illustrated talking about how strict his diet was and how he'd never tasted a COke or had a Big Mac.  The story reminds me a lot of the Catholic school girls I used to pick up at youth group and corrupt because they just want some sense of control of who they are.

As soon as Todd really got out from under Marv, he discovered booze, drugs, and women.  He was designed to fail.

My best friend growing up went to USC and used to party with Marinovich;  said the dude was off the rails from day 1.

• Like 1

Wilson seems to have been anointed with NYC 'star' status before he's actually proven anything on the field, and that creates a big challenge to not let the trappings of fame, media, supermodels, etc. distract from the work required to be great.  Every time I see another story about who he is banging, it makes me question if Wilson has the discipline both be great on the field and play that role.

My guess is no.

• Like 1

Seeing a photo of her? The only thing I can figure out why she'd even consider him is beause he's 23 and has a lot of er, stamina

ummm.jpg.a4c2a5d0dd4771fc16df0093131203d2.jpg

• Haha 2