Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Dolphins Chat

B-Man

21 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Very solid post. The only thing I remember different was at center. Marv had signed Melvin Fowler to be the center. Fowler had been a backup for the Vikings but on the Bills was considered good enough to be the starter. The former center, Tre Teague, departed and Fowler took his place. Fowler was not a starting quality football player. 

he was better than Jerry Ostrowski at C, though

13 hours ago, devnull said:

At the time he was the #1 rated QB in that draft.  Given the extra weight given to the QB position, that explains how a 3rd or 4th round prospect like EJ Manual went in the mid 1st.

smart teams knew that class was very weak

yet, the Bills failed to act in the prior 2 years to obtain a viable QB

hey- it's not like they did not have an overriding need at QB for the last 20 years

Arm of Harm
18 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

That's fantastic. I don't follow college football so all I knew about Manuel was what I read. And just like every other quarterback coming out of college, some people loved him and some people hated him. 

I can't imagine skipping a few football seasons simply because I know disaster when I see it, so good for you for sparing yourself wasting all that time waiting for Whaley to get tossed.

I did not “skip” football seasons. But for a while I went into each season knowing we didn’t have a real GM or a real QB. Hope flared up briefly due to Kyle Orton, but Orton’s late season play was not equal to his mid-season play. Then Orton retired at the end of the year. Doug Marrone stepped down from his head coaching position, possibly under the theory that it is better to step down today than to be fired tomorrow as atonement for the badness of the GM.

Pegula’s first hire was Rex Ryan. When that hire was announced I deduced that the Bills needed a new GM, a new head coach, and a new QB. Tyrod Taylor was an even faster runner than Manuel, but was not a better passer. 

Arm of Harm
On 3/26/2022 at 4:18 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

I’ve always been a homer, to me that goes hand in hand with being a fan. The drought years were not kind to optimists like myself, especially when it came to evaluating Bills’ QBs. 

I gave EJ every benefit of the doubt, talked myself into thinking maybe he can be the guy (never that he WAS the guy - key difference). I wanted him to be, because if he was the guy then the drought would end. 

Thankfully 17 made that outlook pay off🥳

I was guilty of misplaced optimism when it came to Trent Edwards. I’d believed the Bill Walsh recommendation, thought Edwards was the guy. But then people started talking about how Edwards was supposedly hitting receivers in perfect stride in practice. I watched the video, and he wasn’t. He was making them slow down. That’s not an acceptable flaw in a West Coast QB. That was a key moment for me in revising my opinion of Edwards and his future. 

I don’t recall having watched film of Manuel before the Bills squandered their first round pick on him. But I do remember hearing him described as a “raw” prospect with great physical tools. That’s exactly the type of QB I don’t want!  But I’d learned my lesson from Edwards, and knew to watch film. So I watched some film of Manuel’s college highlights. There were no special throws. You’d expect any reasonably competent college QB to be able to make the throws in that film. A night and day difference between a highlight reel like that and Josh Allen’s college highlight reel! Some of the throws in Allen’s highlight reel were jaw-dropping. The vast majority were special throws: the type of throws that separate a special QB from a college QB who’s merely competent. 

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
31 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

I was guilty of misplaced optimism when it came to Trent Edwards. I’d believed the Bill Walsh recommendation, thought Edwards was the guy. But then people started talking about how Edwards was supposedly hitting receivers in perfect stride in practice. I watched the video, and he wasn’t. He was making them slow down. That’s not an acceptable flaw in a West Coast QB. That was a key moment for me in revising my opinion of Edwards and his future. 

I don’t recall having watched film of Manuel before the Bills squandered their first round pick on him. But I do remember hearing him described as a “raw” prospect with great physical tools. That’s exactly the type of QB I don’t want!  But I’d learned my lesson from Edwards, and knew to watch film. So I watched some film of Manuel’s college highlights. There were no special throws. You’d expect any reasonably competent college QB to be able to make the throws in that film. A night and day difference between a highlight reel like that and Josh Allen’s college highlight reel! Some of the throws in Allen’s highlight reel were jaw-dropping. The vast majority were special throws: the type of throws that separate a special QB from a college QB who’s merely competent. 

Not only did Manuel not make special throws, his release was slllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllow and extremely inconsistent, even without pressure being a factor.  He certainly "looked" like an NFL QB standing still in a uniform.  So there's that.

Taylor was exponentially better than EJ at throwing the deep ball but couldn't throw anything else consistently, especially against zone coverage.  He literally couldn't throw the ball to a moving target unless it was a vertical or out route to the sideline.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Not only did Manuel not make special throws, his release was slllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllow and extremely inconsistent, even without pressure being a factor.  He certainly "looked" like an NFL QB standing still in a uniform.  So there's that.

Taylor was exponentially better than EJ at throwing the deep ball but couldn't throw anything else consistently, especially against zone coverage.  He literally couldn't throw the ball to a moving target unless it was a vertical or out route to the sideline.

Tyrod's bigger problem was he wouldn't even try to throw short and over the middle- even if wide open

absolutely no confidence

which goes back to coaches that drilled into his head to avoid turnovers at all costs

Edited by Spartacus

Alaska Darin
22 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Tyrod's bigger problem was he wouldn't even try to throw short and over the middle- even if wide open

absolutely no confidence

which goes back to coaches that drilled into his head to avoid turnovers at all costs

I'd say that's "somewhat" valid...but he couldn't do it even when the game was on the line - he consistently just straight up missed guys when the gloves were completely off.  It's just who he is.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'd say that's "somewhat" valid...but he couldn't do it even when the game was on the line - he consistently just straight up missed guys when the gloves were completely off.  It's just who he is.

In 30 starts with the Bills, he broke the 300yds passing only once. Took him 5 quarters in an overtime loss to the phish to do so. I thought he actually looked pretty decent that day.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Tyrod's only strength is that he protects the ball.  With Tyrod at QB last season, the Titans beat the Bengals in the playoffs because Tyrod doesn't throw three interceptions that game.  But they probably also never get there, because there's three other games along the way (week 18 against Houston, for example) that, while Tyrod doesn't lose them, he can't win them either.

Tyrod's the QB you sign when you want to run a conservative offense that minimizes turnovers while you rebuild your team.  

Crap Throwing Clavin
13 minutes ago, Joe said:

"Throw the damned ball tyrod!"

-me, about a billion times 

"Well, at least he didn't turn it over."

- me, those same billion times.

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Joe said:

"Throw the damned ball tyrod!"

-me, about a billion times 

46 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

"Well, at least he didn't turn it over."

- me, those same billion times.

Boy he can run though....same billion times.

4merper4mer
2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Boy he can run though....same billion times.

I thought he was maybe the best I’ve seen at escaping pressure……some of which was created by him not throwing but still……

Other recent impressive ones include Josh who may be his equal albeit with different specific traits.  Two other current favorites in that one area are Lamar and Heinecke who both escape very well.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Was Marino was so stoned he thought he was a pirate?

Maybe the photo was taken on September 19(?).

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

When I first saw the picture I mistook Chong for the new egghead coach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3