Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What are we watching/recommend ?

Teddy KGB

Nouseforaname
19 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I forgot they had another game last night.  The first two were uninspiring to say the least.  

btw....where's the soccer thread?  Isn't that @Meazza's  job?

I only open soccer threads when the greasy Italians are playing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just finished Amazon's Jack Ryan series.

1st season was very entertaining.  2nd season was OK but the implausibility just kept ramping up until the 2nd season's final episode was almost unwatchable. 

(Couldn't find a way to hide spoilers, so very mild spoiler down at the very bottom of this post.  Thus the extra excessive white space.)

Though Clancy didn't write it, that season does kind of follow his formula of building up, building up, and more building up for 600 pages and then get bored and end everything in 4 pages.

Crap Throwing Clavin
19 hours ago, Taro T said:

Though Clancy didn't write it, that season does kind of follow his formula of building up, building up, and more building up for 600 pages and then get bored and end everything in 4 pages.

In Clancy's defense, a lot of his later stuff was ghost written - he'd outline the basic plot, then have someone else write it.  

Guessing by writing style, I'd say that started with Debt of Honor.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

In Clancy's defense, a lot of his later stuff was ghost written - he'd outline the basic plot, then have someone else write it.  

Guessing by writing style, I'd say that started with Debt of Honor.

Only read his early books but all the ones I read seemed to follow that same formula:  build up the story for several hundred pages, get the action started in about 20-50 pages, and then end it all in something like 4 pages.  Maybe the memory is foggy; haven't read his stuff in probably 25 years.

Very good books, but always found his way of ending them a bit terse.

21 hours ago, Taro T said:

1st season was very entertaining.  2nd season was OK but the implausibility just kept ramping up until the 2nd season's final episode was almost unwatchable. 

(Couldn't find a way to hide spoilers, so very mild spoiler down at the very bottom of this post.  Thus the extra excessive white space.)

If you were disappointed with Jack Ryan, then I recommend staying away from the Without Remorse movie.

Without Remorse follows a different story pattern.  Instead of building up, building up, building up, and then a quick ending, Without Remorse has an excellent 10 minute urban combat scene followed by an hour and a half of crap.  After the hour and a half of crap comes the credits and an extra scene setting up the movie/tv franchise.  Dialog from this extra scene is pulled straight from the novel, but sounds out of character for the John Kelly you just watched (if you made it all the way thru the movie)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, devnull said:

If you were disappointed with Jack Ryan, then I recommend staying away from the Without Remorse movie.

Without Remorse follows a different story pattern.  Instead of building up, building up, building up, and then a quick ending, Without Remorse has an excellent 10 minute urban combat scene followed by an hour and a half of crap.  After the hour and a half of crap comes the credits and an extra scene setting up the movie/tv franchise.  Dialog from this extra scene is pulled straight from the novel, but sounds out of character for the John Kelly you just watched (if you made it all the way thru the movie)

It was enough to keep me away that they made Without Remorse woke.

2 hours ago, devnull said:

Yeah.  Without Remorse could've been a LOT better.

On 9/13/2021 at 7:04 PM, Taro T said:

Season 1 was a lot of fun.  When they decided to turn Jack Ryan into a spec-ops commando in Season 2  it went south.  The analyst and reluctant hero is a better character. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 8:01 AM, wnyguy said:

The Hulu Docuseries about 9 11 was incredible. Showing footage I had never seen, very moving stuff that focused on those that survived and the heroes who rescued them. As time goes by it is easy to forget how big a tragedy this was and how many lost their lives. If you watch one thing about 9 11 this one should be it.

I assume you're referring to Looming Tower? That was an excellent watch. 

18 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Season 1 was a lot of fun.  When they decided to turn Jack Ryan into a spec-ops commando in Season 2  it went south.  The analyst and reluctant hero is a better character. 

And I loved the Dilly Dilly King as a CIA Special Operator

• 2 weeks later...
Deranged Rhino
On 9/14/2021 at 2:25 PM, devnull said:

On 9/14/2021 at 3:53 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

It was enough to keep me away that they made Without Remorse woke.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:18 PM, Taro T said:

Yeah.  Without Remorse could've been a LOT better.

I have a pretty good story about the development of that project which I have to be careful sharing fully but I’ll do my best:

That’s a book I’d been trying to get the rights to make into a (limited) TV series for about a decade before Jordan became involved. Of course, the rights were/are owned by a large studio, and as a peon, I had very little chance so this was mainly a pipe dream. The ace up my sleeve was I had a connection to Clancy (and then his estate) which at least forced the studio to take a few meetings. In hindsight, I was about 7 years too early, because there weren’t the streaming options there are now so the idea of a TV series adaptation meant there were really only 3 or 4 places you could try to get it made. However my take was &#%$ing awesome. 

It was so awesome I was able to get a big name (for TV) attached, a big agency behind it, and the estate’s seal

of approval - and they hate most everything. My manager, who’s the best, got me an amazing opportunity to pitch the whole package to a huge producer/production company who, if they said yes, would pretty much guarantee the show would get made. And I wasn’t pitching to some development exec or “Vice President”, nope, I was pitching to the head person.

It was the biggest opportunity of my career up til that point, so I worked my ass off rehearsing the pitch/sell. I had this huge agency behind me, so they spent money on presentation materials, mock ups - that normally would have driven me nuts and I would have never used - but these were actually cool. 

Day of the pitch comes, and if you’re one to believe in omens or signs, let’s just say everything was coming up DR. I was prepared, hit no traffic on the drive to (a rarity in LA), met Jack Black on my walk into the meeting AND got a legit laugh out of him, I mean it was all going my way. There wasn’t even the usual “make them wait” bs that sometimes happens before a pitch. 

The pitch itself went better than I’d ever done it, this according to everyone else in the room with me. I got along great with the big boss, he actually had read the material which usually isn’t the case. It was the smoothest, best pitch I’ve seen or been a part of to this very day. We walked out slapping backs, shaking hands, certain we just sold a show (that was going to be awesome) to a huge producer. Usually after these types of things, no matter how the pitch goes or if it’s a yes or a no, it takes a day or two to hear anything back. 

So we are walking to our cars to go our separate ways, I’m pulling out my phone to call my family to let them know how great it went — mind you, we are still in the big boss’s building/parking lot. Before we even made it to our cars, my manager’s cell phone rang. 

It was a no. 

This person could have said no in the room. It happens all the time. What we got in the room was nothing but enthusiastic “I think we’re in” type responses. The mood swung from euphoric to a crushing sense of defeat in the blink of an eye. And without missing a beat, with the best timing and deadpan delivery that is etched into my brain and funny bone, my manager just looks at me and goes: “Jesus, is this what it feels like to be a Bills fan?”

🤣 It broke all the tension and still makes me laugh because it was so very true. 

... so anyway, I haven’t had the heart to watch it yet. And even though it’s still my favorite of Clancy’s books, and I really like Jordan a lot, it makes it a little easier to skip hearing that it’s not great. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 2

Wifey watches a show called "United States of Al," which is about an Afghanistan vet who brings his interpreter back to the states with him, and the underlying story is meant to promote the interpreters who helped the Americans.

It's an okay show as comedies go, but yesterday they released the teaser for the new season, and they pick it up as Kabul is falling and his interpreter is dealing with family stuck at the airport.

And all of Hollywood is confused as shit. Just look at the comments. It's amazing how hateful people are.

It's a Chuck Lorre production, for crying out loud. He's so far left he taught Kamala how to suck dick.

But the left don't care.