Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What are we watching/recommend ?

Teddy KGB

Deranged Rhino
11 hours ago, Ann said:

I don't know if we will watch, but my husband made the same comment to me that you did here... this guy looks like Jack Reacher, and Tom Cruise... does not. 

I saw the first Cruise movie well before I ever read one of the books. In fact I think I saw the sequel before the original, that’s how turned around I was. I knew nothing about the series, but Cruise and McQuarie (the writer/director) are usually a fun combo. The movies were meh, forgettable but not terrible. So I kind of forgot about the series until it was put on my desk for work purposes. I only had to read one, and I was SO confused and laughing for all the wrong reasons because the whole time I just kept picturing Cruise as Reacher. ESPECIALLY when the author would go overboard in his descriptions of Reacher’s sheer size. These descriptions get more and more absurd/hilarious/over the top as the books go on, becoming a trope within the series. I forget which book, but in one he’s described as having “hands as big as shovels, and a body that looked like a condom stuffed with walnuts” (!). And every time I read it I just imagined Cruise reading it and thinking, “Yeah, that’s me. I’m totally that guy.” 😂

It is still hilarious to me that Cruise, all 5’5 of him, optioned the book specifically so he could be the one to play the 6’5 Reacher. There’s a real glimpse into both the absurdity of the Hollywood development process, and Cruise’s own ego, in that casting choice. 

Still, the second movie was better — but he just isn’t Reacher. And I really like Cruise, so it’s not meant as a knock on his ability. I don’t know the actor in the Amazon series (is he a wrestler turned actor?) and it could be terrible in the end, but at least he has the size and give-zero-&#%$s attitude that defines the character in the books. 

• Like 1

I’ve never understood Cruise as an action star. Then again, I always loved Keifer Sutherland as Jack Bauer and the only person he would tower over is Cruise. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I don’t know the actor in the Amazon series (is he a wrestler turned actor?) 

He reminds me of John Cena.  But looking at his IMDB, he's been in a few shows and movies. 

Alan Ritchson - IMDb

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/3/2021 at 10:29 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

I don’t know the actor in the Amazon series (is he a wrestler turned actor?) and it could be terrible in the end, but at least he has the size and give-zero-&#%$s attitude that defines the character in the books. 

He'll always be Thad to me.

a3f0682fdd809b8931aa97e93014817ba84321c5

blue-mountain-state-cocaine.gif

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was just watching Shark Tank reruns with the kids and lo and behold, there's Bryan Scott pitching athletic shoe inserts!  Must have been a few years ago...

Edited by KD in CA

On 12/30/2021 at 10:51 PM, MothersMilk said:

Nothing major here but Comet has the X-files in the evening so we've been checking them out... always loved that show. 

with the exception of live sports and local news, Comet is the only OTA network worth watching

Crap Throwing Clavin

Just binge-watched the first eight episode of Dexter: New Blood.  

Very good.  I like it better than the original in quite a few ways.  They did an excellent job of integrating the old story lines into the new without depending on them.  

I saw American Underdog, the movie about Kurt Warner, and I thought it was great. The movie really focuses more on his life outside of football, which interestingly enough makes the football part that much better. 

It's by the same people who made I Can Only Imagine, a movie I would never have voluntarily gone to see except my wife suckered me into it, and it turned out to be surprisingly good. These are two of about a 1/2 dozen movies I've gone to the theater to see in the last decade, and I think they benefit from that setting with the lack of distractions. 

• Cheers 2

On 12/3/2021 at 11:15 AM, Ann said:

I don't know if we will watch, but my husband made the same comment to me that you did here... this guy looks like Jack Reacher, and Tom Cruise... does not. 

Cruise is a putz. Reacher was supposed to be 6’4” and 255 lbs of ex Navy angry Seal. Cruise is 5’4” 155 lbs of prissyboy underwear. 

I stopped reading the series after the formulary for churning them out became trite. 

At least this actor looks the part and makes it easier to suspend my disbelief than watching a flyweight trying to hit (unbelievably) five classes above his weight class. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, devnull said:

with the exception of live sports and local news, Comet is the only OTA network worth watching

This must be a regional thing because we don't have it... have like 100 ota channels... but have it on Sling Blue.

I’m watching my phone for updates on

the following 

Ann , Augie,  fox and everyone else. 

you all make my day when I see you all posting.  🤓🦇🥸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I’m watching my phone for updates on

the following 

Ann , Augie,  fox and everyone else. 

you all make my day when I see you all posting.  🤓🦇🥸

I blocked you a long time ago.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MothersMilk said:

This must be a regional thing because we don't have it... have like 100 ota channels... but have it on Sling Blue.

We have it here. It's a sub of Fox. 31.3 to be precise.

Started binge watching Station Eleven. Nothing special but it does have a certain charm I guess. It's about the aftermath of a flu that kills most of mankind.

24 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Started binge watching Station Eleven. Nothing special but it does have a certain charm I guess. It's about the aftermath of a flu that kills most of mankind.

Glad I will be gone when the next ice age hits after a huge meteorite hits China. 

38 minutes ago, Foxx said:

We have it here. It's a sub of Fox. 31.3 to be precise.

Funny seeing Foxx posting about Fox.

Not here, this is the Tampa area.