Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Texans GM Nick Caserio: 'Zero interest' in trading Deshaun Watson

You Dirty Rat

Tony Buzbee claims, FBI Investigating Deshaun Watson.

</snip>

The Houston based attorney, who represents nearly two dozen women accusing Watson of various forms of sexual harassment and sexual assault, said FBI agents from the Houston field division visited him in his office and he has since met with them multiple times. Speaking to Dash by phone on Friday, Buzbee claimed the last meeting was as recent as one week ago.

“Let’s be clear, when somebody comes into your office on the 73rd floor of the Chase Tower, whether they’re the FDA or the FBI, it’s a big deal. Well, it was the FBI,” Buzbee said, describing the first time the FBI allegedly visited him to discuss Watson.

“They contacted me and I’ve met with them three times now and now they’ve met with several of the plaintiffs in the case,” said Buzbee by phone.

Buzbee claims the agents told him they had seen all of the statements that have been given to the police department and found them “very compelling and very persuasive.”

Buzbee went on to say, “and then these guys came to my office and I’m like ‘hey boys’.”

The plaintiffs’ attorney says he asked the agents, “Why do you care about this?”

“He said to me [the FBI agent], he’s like, ‘look, what I’ve heard is that most of the reachouts occurred via the internet which creates jurisdiction for us,’ said Buzbee, describing his alleged conversation. He says the Agent continued, “But then I understand there were these two women that were from out of state, which obviously creates more jurisdiction as well.” At least one woman who has filed a lawsuit against Watson claims he flew her in from Georgia to give him a massage before he allegedly tried to make it into something more. Watson denies the allegation.

</snip>

• Doh! 1

15 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Not to downplay the charges but....................It seems like the FBI has other things to do.

There's White Supremacy and guys with Lego Capitol buildings to go after.

15 hours ago, Ann said:

“They contacted me and I’ve met with them three times now and now they’ve met with several of the plaintiffs in the case,” said Buzbee by phone.

Buzbee claims the agents told him they had seen all of the statements that have been given to the police department and found them “very compelling and very persuasive.”

Buzbee went on to say, “and then these guys came to my office and I’m like ‘hey boys’.”

This guy sounds like a Trump wannabe.   "It's like the yuh-jest FBI case ever!"

5 hours ago, Koko said:

There's White Supremacy and guys with Lego Capitol buildings to go after.

The FBI has already allocated very significant resources to going after white supremacist groups. It's gotten to the point where if a white supremacist group is involved in planning a crime, it's difficult to determine the extent to which FBI agents were merely passive observers of something the group would have done anyway, versus the FBI agents in the group leading the effort to plan the crime.

If FBI resources may have been over-allocated to the task of infiltrating white supremacy groups, they've been under-allocated to the task of dealing with scams. A typical scam would involve someone informing the intended victim that they've been awarded a large sum of money, and just need to pay a fee for tax or processing reasons. Even if the FBI stopped investigating white supremacy groups completely, that would not in itself free up sufficient manpower to adequately address this. Addressing this form of scam needs to be high on their list of priorities.

As a straight man, I'd certainly feel uncomfortable if a gay man exposed me to his genitals while trying to turn a massage into a sexual encounter. But I'd feel more uncomfortable if someone scammed me out of my life's savings. Based on that, I could see where the FBI might decide that investigating scams is more important than aggressively pursuing the Deshaun Watson matter. Of course, that assumes that the resources saved by not aggressively pursuing the Deshaun Watson case would be allocated to some other, better use instead. I don't know whether that assumption is valid. 

Edited by Arm of Harm

• 2 weeks later...

There more than these few tweets here, but they go full on political instead of sticking to the sports angle.

Anyhooo we've all seen the media manipulate, and we've seen teams and agents manipulate the media.

11.JPG.75c1003ff0107ac5b3bf52dc5d5d7c34.JPG

22.JPG.a2f6d3f5c2ed44888937ce4b5fd11dfc.JPG

33.JPG.d938bda121b5b6960fff73190f971848.JPG

• Like 1

From  Albert Breer’s MMQB article    (And this makes sense)

</snip>

Since, some teams I talked to that were interested at the time, and some that remain interested now, have only been willing to entertain a deal that gives them protections by making the draft-pick compensation conditional (with conditions linked to his availability to play). I haven’t gotten any indication that the Texans are willing to tie their return to those sorts of contingencies.

</snip>

From Peter King's Football Morning in America column today:

10 Things I Think I Know:

1. I think the only thing about the Deshaun Watson-might-get-traded story that makes even a little bit of sense (but not much) is that this could be the time to do it—now, as teams trims their rosters to 53 by 4 p.m. Tuesday, and the Texans really want to clear Watson off their decks to rid themselves of a headache and a player they’re sure won’t be their long-term quarterback. (Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports reported the Dolphins are front-runners for Watson.) But trading Watson, and trading for Watson, is not smart now, at all, unless the Texans accept a conditional trade based on the legal case Watson is going through. I doubt they would. That would be a clear sign of desperation, and they’d never get max value for Watson by putting a deadline of, say, Tuesday on it. The problems:

• For Miami, imagine dealing for Watson now and coach Brian Flores facing Tua Tagovailoa for the first time after the trade—if he faced him at all; I’m assuming Tagovailoa would be part of any trade for a quarterback. After months of the team saying “Tua’s our guy,” they’d play Week 1 of his first full season knowing Tua’s not their guy, and with whoever (Jacoby Brissett, I assume) taking the first snap while, presumably, Watson waits out his legal case. Again, a guess. It’s a total unknown what the league would do with Watson before his 22 sex-assault cases are adjudicated.

• It would be the ultimate in franchise impatience, giving up on a quarterback the team anxiously picked fifth overall just 16 months ago. The Dolphins would be held up as the example of how NOT to draft and train and play a young quarterback. Plus, assuming the pricetag would be at least three first-round picks, that would mean the Dolphins would have invested four first-round picks and probably something else for a quarterback with police investigations hanging over his head.

• I will give Flores and GM Chris Grier this little wiggle room. Say they’ve watched Tagovailoa throughout the offseason and aren’t 100-percent sold, and they know if they can withstand the storm of an ugly 2021 with a totally pissed-off quarterback and a locker room looking at them crosseyed, the pain of today (and perhaps some significant demonstrations locally) will eventually dissipate. And they’ll have a top quarterback, whenever he’s able to play. Assuming Watson continues to be a great player, the Dolphins will have paid a total ransom but finally have fixed the position that has haunted them since the retirement of Dan Marino. I don’t agree with this, but as I say, I’m not inside their offices either.

• I have no idea what the outcome of Watson’s legal morass is going to be. But the interested teams can’t know either. Can any team that would trade for Watson be absolutely sure he’s not going to prison? How? Can any team be sure they know what the possible league sanction of Watson will be? And would you trade three ones for a player if you were fairly sure he wouldn’t play for your team till 2023—and that he might be tarnished significantly whenever he puts on the uniform?

• I would far, far, far rather risk losing out on Watson than trade for him now, with so much unknown, and with the future being dangerously murky. With all that being said, desperate teams do desperate things. I doubt anything happens with Watson, but then again I’m not inside the walls of the Dolphins, Eagles, Panthers or Broncos either.

</snip>

• Like 1