Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

COVID-19 Viruses and Vaccines

Foxx

3 hours ago, snafu said:

Maybe local school boards should figure out how to get by without Fed money in the first place.

They should. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 minutes ago, Ann said:

They should. 

Most probably could, they just don't want to.  Who gives up free money?

18 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

1. Nothing is free.
2. That money comes with a lot of conditions (sometimes making it very expensive money).

16 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

But it's not really "free money".  We see now what the cost really is

General rule of thumb.  Any product that is "free" to you means you are somebody else's product.

1 hour ago, Ann said:

They should. 

I dipped a toe into the rabbit hole of School Budgets.

Looks like in NYS the average is that Local school taxes comprise about 60% of the annual budget.  NYS supplies about 35% and the Federal Government is approx. 5% as a rule of thumb.

NYC is different, of course. 51% local (City) taxes, 34% State Contributions, 15% Federal dollars.

NYC's annual school budget (for 1 million students, mind you) is about $38 BILLION (approx. $38,000/student).  Plus there's another $19 BILLION for physical repairs and maintenance -- though I don't know whether that's an annual number.

Williamsville School District spends $220,000,000/year for about 9,500 students (approx. $23,000/student).

For you Downstate bigots, Rochester City Schools spend $983,000,000/year for about $24,800 students (approx. $39,600/student).

Billsandhorns
16 minutes ago, snafu said:

Looks like in NYS the average is that Local school taxes comprise about 60% of the annual budget.  NYS supplies about 35% and the Federal Government is approx. 5% as a rule of thumb.

NYC is different, of course. 51% local (City) taxes, 34% State Contributions, 15% Federal dollars.

NYC's annual school budget (for 1 million students, mind you) is about $38 BILLION (approx. $38,000/student).  Plus there's another $19 BILLION for physical repairs and maintenance -- though I don't know whether that's an annual number.

Williamsville School District spends $220,000,000/year for about 9,500 students (approx. $23,000/student).

For you Downstate bigots, Rochester City Schools spend $983,000,000/year for about $24,800 students (approx. $39,600/student).

What is the ROI for all of that money spent?

I be willing to bet not very good

16 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

What is the ROI for all of that money spent?

I be willing to bet not very good

SUNY tuition (with room and board) is under $24,000.

1 hour ago, snafu said:

We are currently selling a home in the Williamsville School District. We have paid a lotta school taxes over the years. 

Here is Buffalo's 2022-2023 budget. There are federal dollars listed under "other" as well as a $289.6m "grant." Oddly, doing a control F only leads to one "federal" and that is the $289.6m they don't have to pay back, and all the charts have to be studied to try and figure out the federal money ( can easily find $28m, but that is 'other federal aid' and then there is a Medicaid line $2m, and a lot of 'others').

Anyhooo the budget is over a billion dollars. How much is spent per student seems to vary by school.  

The City of Buffalo contributes very little to the BPS. 

This was for 2021-2022:

Nearly $71 million, or 7.3% of the Buffalo district’s $972.5 million general fund, comes from the City of Buffalo. More than $119 million, or 14.2% of the Rochester school district’s $840.3 million general fund, comes from the City of Rochester…

That is actually up from when my father was a teacher in the BPS system. He always said it was 5% from the city (maybe he was rounding?), the rest from the county, state and feds. He retired in the mid-90s. These shenanigans have been going on for a long, long time. 

Billsandhorns
1 hour ago, snafu said:

SUNY tuition (with room and board) is under $24,000.

I'm asking about all of the taxpayer dollars going to public schools and how well those schools are actually educating the students 

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

I'm asking about all of the taxpayer dollars going to public schools and how well those schools are actually educating the students 

If you really want to get pissed off, look in to how much of those taxpayer dollars end up going to the unions.

• Wow 1

Billsandhorns
2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

If you really want to get pissed off, look in to how much of those taxpayer dollars end up going to the unions.

Nah, I'm sure that it's a ton of it does.

4 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

I understand.  The public school ROI is awful.  My point is that the job (even for higher education and including housing and meals) can be done cheaper. Go figure!

Billsandhorns
3 hours ago, snafu said:

I understand.  The public school ROI is awful.  My point is that the job (even for higher education and including housing and meals) can be done cheaper. Go figure!

I noticed that the more government got involved. The more expensive it became 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

McCaughey: Beware Fauci’s scheme to empower World Health Organization (msn.com)

When the next pandemic hits, President Biden wants the World Health Organization — a puppet of the Chinese Communist Party — to have more power over the U.S. and other countries. Among other changes, WHO is pushing for “equity” in access to vaccines and medicines, meaning the U.S. will be hindered from rushing new vaccines and treatments to its own population until poor countries are supplied, never mind who develops and pays for the drugs. Should the U.S. surrender its ability to care for its own population for the sake of global “equity”? The answer is no.

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 minutes ago, Koko said:

So it begins... CDC raises monkeypox alert to level 2, recommends masks during travel

How long before we have another "2 weeks years to flatten the curve"?

"Cases of monkeypox have been reported in Europe, North America, South America, Africa, Asia, and Australia," the CDC wrote in its alert.

"Some cases were reported among men who have sex with men. Some cases were also reported in people who live in the same household as an infected person," it added.

"It's only spread by close contact.  So make sure you wear a mask when you're in public among strangers who you're still socially distancing from anyway." 

Dumb, panicky animals.

15 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

"It's only spread by close contact. 

yeah- that's what they said about Covid at the beginning, too.

hell- I don't think the CDC ever actually admitted Covid was an aerosolized virus.