Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills vs Patriots Week 13: The Aftermath

Ann

Billsandhorns

I am not as football savy as most on here. The issues that stick out the most to me are in no certain order.  The offensive line. Running backs and of concern the defensive line. For the amount of money in the defensive line, I would expect better results. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ann said:

Not sure what it means but, just for a fuller bit of context...

Bills rushing yards allowed in those games;

Steelers - 75  -- 4.5 per play

Titans - 146 -- 7.1 per play

Jaguars - 79 -- 3.8 per play

Colts - 264 -- 5.6 per play

Patriots - 222 -- 4.9 per play

Total - 786  -- 157 per game -- 5.18 per play average

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Robs House said:

This is the kind of game that makes me wonder why I follow this shit. There were a few joyous moments, but they were far outweighed by long stretches of aggravation and disappointment.

The outcome of a sporting event between groups of multimillionaires who I don't know, half of whom I probably wouldn't like, and which has absolutely no affect on my life really shouldn't have me this bummed out, but it does.

One thing we can hang our hat on. Josh Allen is an elite QB.

Misery loves company man.

You should post more,

seriously...  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Nouseforaname
15 minutes ago, Figster said:

One thing we can hang our hat on. Josh Allen is an elite QB.

Misery loves company man.

You should post more,

seriously...  

That's great.  Of course this elite QB went from throwing 7 TD's last year to 7 in the last 3-4 games.  

Something is wrong.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Meazza said:

No I don't hold grudges.

No I'm not satisfied with the 10 the Bills put up, I am by no means ignoring that the offense was not able to execute but it's not normal that so many teams this sesaon just ran right threw the Bills and constantly getting first downs even when they knew it was coming. 

But the defense only gave up yards on three drives — two were sustained and one was a 65 yard run. There were a lot of negative or 1 or 2 yard runs by NE last night. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Meazza said:

That's great.  Of course this elite QB went from throwing 7 TD's last year to 7 in the last 3-4 games.  

Something is wrong.

Its not the QB IMO. Sub par Oline play gives you sub par results.

It all starts up front... 

• FANtastic 1

Nouseforaname
2 minutes ago, snafu said:

But the defense only gave up yards on three drives — two were sustained and one was a 65 yard run. There were a lot of negative or 1 or 2 yard runs by NE last night. 

There were many moments where it counted that they were simply able to run for a first and keep the momentum going, especially when the wind was favorable for the Bills.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Not sure what it means but, just for a fuller bit of context...

Bills rushing yards allowed in those games;

Steelers - 75  -- 4.5 per play

Titans - 146 -- 7.1 per play

Jaguars - 79 -- 3.8 per play

Colts - 264 -- 5.6 per play

Patriots - 222 -- 4.9 per play

Total - 786  -- 157 per game -- 5.18 per play average

Great post and context.  Kevin Massare is ignoring these numbers.  Yes, the offense has serious issues, but the defense absolutely should not be getting a pass.  They can not consistently stop the run, especially later in the game, meaning they can not get off the field.  The Pats last drive ate up 8:40 of clock.

In both the Steelers and Titans games, the Bills were leading at half time.  Both teams adjusted at half time, McD and his coordinators did not appear to do so, at least not effectively.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Meazza said:

Came down to a team that couldn't stop the run even with the other teams playbook.

Patriots punted 6 times and converted 16% of third down chances. There were three explosive runs out of 49 attempts. 9 TFL.

The defense was not the problem.

• Like 1

Nouseforaname
4 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Patriots punted 6 times and converted 16% of third down chances. There were three explosive runs out of 49 attempts. 9 TFL.

The defense was not the problem.

Again, everyone is ignoring what actually happened and sticking to the stats when they don’t tell the true story. 

The defense only seemed to play lights out at the end and that certainly helped get us to two game winning drives but this defense can’t stop the run.  They get manhandled.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Core Four said:

Great post and context.  Kevin Massare is ignoring these numbers.  Yes, the offense has serious issues, but the defense absolutely should not be getting a pass.  They can not consistently stop the run, especially later in the game, meaning they can not get off the field.  The Pats last drive ate up 8:40 of clock.

In both the Steelers and Titans games, the Bills were leading at half time.  Both teams adjusted at half time, McD and his coordinators did not appear to do so, at least not effectively.

There's missing context. An 80 yard run and a 40 yard run can result from the same kind of defensive breakdown; if the RB gets behind the last man, he's gone no matter how far from the goal line. So it isn't really fair to consider all the yards after Hyde as the same as all the yards happening in front of him. Half of NE's yards came on three plays, they entered the red zone once and were extremely inefficient on third down.

We can do with the absolute total of rushing yards, but that's also missing context because they ran the ball 50 times. That tires out a defense, and yet they still held a late game NE drive to well under 2 minutes for a three and out.

The defense did what they needed to do for a win. The Bills needed to score in the redzone, and they managed one TD. They had the ball on the 6 with a chance to win the game because of the defense.