Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills vs Patriots Week 13: The Aftermath

Ann

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Our defense held them to 2/12 on third downs. 
The Pats had 32 minutes of possession in a game where they had 46 rushing attempts. They punted six times and didn’t convert a 4th down. Three other drives resulted in one TD and two FGs.

If our offense put up those numbers we’d be killing them. The defense was not the problem. You even said it in your post — from the D perspective, it came down to one long run on a blown play by Edmunds. 

The offense was a bigger problem, yes.  The defense is also a significant problem because it can't stop the run consistently, especially toward the end of the game when the Pats drained 8:40 off the clock on their final scoring drive.  The D gave up 222 yards of rushing, which I figured anything greater than 150 would be unfavorable to Buffalo.  The D is not strong enough to hold up for an entire game.  There are both scheme and personnel problems that need to be addressed.  I don't give the D a pass, at all.

58 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Actually, before the game he said he had no confidence in anything outside of the extra point hash marks.  I don't recall any comment about aiming left.

You must have missed it. 

Bills beat themselves last night because they simply can't play well in bad weather. Philosophy on O has to change. Josh Allen can throw the football in high winds. Receivers on the other hand still can't catch the football in bad weather conditions. 

It sucks because I came away from the game feeling like the Buffalo Bills have the better QB. Especially in high winds. D played well enough to win. Twice the Bills were taken out of ( possible ) field goal range from bad play calling/sacks IMO. Daboll/Allen refusal to run the football in the redzone cost them the game IMO. This mindset of we can still run the football with Josh when the play breaks down needs to stop. Learn to run the damn football. (venting)

Bills RB situation sucks. Meanwhile T J Yeldon, highest draft selection/ best fit sits on a recliner somehere watching the Bills on tv. Why you might ask, I don't know, because the beane head didn't draft him possibly. Najee Harris was well within reach, another beane headed mistake it seems. (still venting)

Hate it when that happens...

Build a FFing Dome!!! ( Ok, I'm done venting ) :  )

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, Meazza said:

The defense can't stop a power running game.  The Pats offense didn't try passing the ball because they knew they didn't need to because.

Everyone is focusing on the stats but BB did what he did to while risking little because he knew that the Bills weren't up to the challenge.

Because he knew the Bills OFFENSE wasn't up to the challenge.

And the challenge wasn't just the Pats Defense, it was also the weather.  The Bills are less ready to play in those conditions than the Pats.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Figster said:

You must have missed it. 

Bills beat themselves last night because they simply can't play well in bad weather. Philosophy on O has to change. Josh Allen can throw the football in high winds. Receivers on the other hand still can't catch the football in bad weather conditions. 

It sucks because I came away from the game feeling like the Buffalo Bills have the better QB. Especially in high winds. D played well enough to win. Twice the Bills were taken out of ( possible ) field goal range from bad play calling/sacks IMO.

Bills RB situation sucks. Meanwhile T J Yeldon, highest draft selection/ best fit sits on a recliner somehere watching the Bills on tv. Why you might ask, I don't know, because the beane head didn't draft him possibly. Najee Harris was well within reach, another beane headed mistake it seems.

Have to agree.  I do think that Josh often throws a tougher to catch ball in cold weather due to his velocity.  Not necessarily the case on some of the drops last night but Josh lacks a little touch when it matters sometimes IMO. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s not that much of a long shot really.  Beat NE, Atl, NYJ and Car and all that needs to happen is one additional NE loss.  Beat TB on top of that and we don’t even need an NE loss.  We are not the favorite but it is far from over.

Aside from the home field advantage the way a team gets in the playoffs this year means less than usual given the fact that any team can beat the others.  

That said, you do need a Pats loss to someone in order to overtake them. (Buf/Indy best chance or that flipping Miami late season game we screw up annually).  

Now the bye would be huge if for injury prevention and healing only.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Aloyouis said:

Aside from the home field advantage the way a team gets in the playoffs this year means less than usual given the fact that any team can beat the others.  

That said, you do need a Pats loss to someone in order to overtake them. (Buf/Indy best chance or that flipping Miami late season game we screw up annually).  

Considering we might actually play in better weather conditions. I'll go one step further and say road game helps us this time of the year IMO.

• Like 1

The best outcome for the season is 10 and 7 with no playoffs. That is if they can beat Car, Atl and the Jets and beating all three of those teams is a long shot now. I give them no chance against the Bucs and almost no chance against NE. This of course means no playoffs and hopefully the entire coaching staff getting their pink slips, especially the OC.

• Facepalm 1
  • Doh! 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan101 said:

The best outcome for the season is 10 and 7 with no playoffs. That is if they can beat Car, Atl and the Jets and beating all three of those teams is a long shot now. I give them no chance against the Bucs and almost no chance against NE. This of course means no playoffs and hopefully the entire coaching staff getting their pink slips, especially the OC.

Well guess what, Bills are going to continue this one game off, one game on.

Its on like a mofo...

Welcome 101

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

Have to agree.  I do think that Josh often throws a tougher to catch ball in cold weather due to his velocity.  Not necessarily the case on some of the drops last night but Josh lacks a little touch when it matters sometimes IMO. 

Last night was not a touch passing game. They were gonna be bullets because they had to be. The WRs and Knox had to know that, and needed to make those catches. What good is a QB that can throw in anything if the receivers cannot/will not catch the ball?

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

Actually, before the game he said he had no confidence in anything outside of the extra point hash marks.  I don't recall any comment about aiming left.

the announcers talked about it.

Folk went left and the ball moved 10 yds to teh right from the wind

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Figster said:

Well guess what, Bills are going to continue this one game off, one game on.

Its on like a mofo...

Welcome 101

The pattern says they'll beat Tampa.  But reality says they have to face Fournette and Brady.  Not sure I have confidence the Bills D will be able to handle both.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

You must have missed it. 

It sucks because I came away from the game feeling like the Buffalo Bills have the better QB. Especially in high winds. D played well enough to win. Twice the Bills were taken out of ( possible ) field goal range from bad play calling/sacks IMO. Daboll/Allen refusal to run the football in the redzone cost them the game IMO. This mindset of we can still run the football with Josh when the play breaks down needs to stop. Learn to run the damn football. (venting)

Bills RB situation sucks. Meanwhile T J Yeldon, highest draft selection/ best fit sits on a recliner somehere watching the Bills on tv. Why you might ask, I don't know, because the beane head didn't draft him possibly. Najee Harris was well within reach, another beane headed mistake it seems. (still venting)

Build a FFing Dome!!! ( Ok, I'm done venting ) :  )

Yeah, I must have missed it.  I had the tv on in the background before the game when they were talking about that stuff.

The Bills do have a better QB and BB knows that.  He also doesn't trust MJ 100% right now, nor should he.  The reality is that the plan NE had was spot on, just run the ball using the same 4-5 plays because Buffalo can't stop the run over the entirety of the game.

The Bills can't play in bad weather because the can't run the ball, nor is Daboll creative enough to overcome this.  He is not effective in close games and bad weather when his bread and butter big chunk plays don't work.

I honestly don't think a dome is the answer.  AFC teams with open stadiums with potentially bad weather in November on: NE, Pitt, Balt, Cle, Cincy, KC, Den, NYJ.  Those teams are not going anywhere.  Chances are we have to play some of those teams on the road late in the season.  Add in NFC teams with open stadiums and potential bad weather: NYG, Was, GB, Chicago, Philly.  We may have to play a meaningful game at one of those locations.  We need to have a good run and short pass game to win in bad weather, which in turn means we need a better OLine.  A dome only keeps out the elements, it doesn't make a team better.  Just look at Detroit.

Najee Harris was drafted in the first round.  Beane wasn't going to do that when the DLine needed a lot of attention.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Core Four said:

The pattern says they'll beat Tampa.  But reality says they have to face Fournette and Brady.  Not sure I have confidence the Bills D will be able to handle both.

The Bills D showed glimpses last night of what they are truly capable of IMO. McD's adjustment with Milano in the 2nd half is something we need to see more of from the D guru /HC IMO. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

the announcers talked about it.

Folk went left and the ball moved 10 yds to teh right from the wind

Yeah, I probably missed that as I had the tv on in the background before the game.  I can't second guess Bass, who has been exceptional this year.  That is almost like second guessing Justin Tucker in the divisional round for all his misses last January.  They are on the ground and have to try and account for the conditions at the moment of the kick.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Figster said:

The Bills D showed glimpses last night of what they are truly capable of IMO. McD's adjustment with Milano in the 2nd half is something we need to see more of from the D guru /HC IMO. 

Yeah, I think McD needs to get more involved with the D.  Frazier schemes in a scared and conservative manner.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, BillsFan101 said:

McDermott is not getting fired.  Lets not kid ourselves.  What may happen is that Frazier will "retire" and some team will think that Daboll will revert to his NE days and hire him for HC.  I think that Beane and McDermott are a package deal and if McD is fired Beane resigns.  I think that Daboll is a good guy but just like other NE coaches that left Foxboro they don't have that hard ass teacher in Belichick to make them work till they fall over at 3 AM and take decisions away from them.  I can't think of one former NE assistant that went on to prolonged success elsewhere.  Love him or hate him Belichick is that one teacher we all had in school who was a richard noggin but we all know without that motivation we would have performed far poorer.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Aloyouis said:

Clearly need to win at NE.  The second part of my post had that built in as an assumption.  Put a different way, both the Bills and Pats have their destinies in their own hands.  Assuming a loss to TB the Bills get their destiny control back with one loss by NE to Indy or Mia…….or Jax lol.

• Cheers 1