Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 NFL Head Coach Openings [Daboll to the Giants - All Head Coaching Jobs are Filled]

Ann

11 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

sounds like someone getting in front of the rejection from the team he wanted to sign with

Quinn knows he's only getting one more bite at the apple.  He's likely not going to take a job if there are a ton of red flags...and let's face it, the job openings that there are all have plenty of them.

12 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

sounds like someone getting in front of the rejection from the team he wanted to sign with

Dan Quinn probably needed another year away from a HC position.  I also think he believes in the Cowboys.

4 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Quinn knows he's only getting one more bite at the apple.  He's likely not going to take a job if there are a ton of red flags...and let's face it, the job openings that there are all have plenty of them.

something readily apparent before he started the interview process

Just now, Spartacus said:

something readily apparent before he started the interview process

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  What you see externally isn't at all what happens during the interview process.  You find out a lot more about inner-workings, actual power structure, etc.  I don't blame anyone for taking an interview - you always learn something you didn't know and might be able to use later.

2 hours ago, Core Four said:

Wow.  Wonder how Nate will do as HC.  I would bet he doesn't bring St. Doug to the staff.

I bet Hackett can do well.

Seems to have the temperament for it.  Wasn't he the OC in Buffalo who would have Thad Lewis up in the booth with him on game days to teach him coverages and stuff?  I thought that was a great coaching move.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snafu said:

I bet Hackett can do well.

Seems to have the temperament for it.  Wasn't he the OC in Buffalo who would have Thad Lewis up in the booth with him on game days to teach him coverages and stuff?  I thought that was a great coaching move.

That's jogging my memory.  I remember Hackett being up in the booth, but I don't remember anyone being with him.  Thad Lewis may  have taught Nate about coverages, someone had to.  Anyway, seems like Nate has come a long way.  Good for him, and I hope he does well in Denver since Marone screwed him in Jax.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

The things that players say about Daboll (how he talks to them regularly during the offseason about stuff that has nothing to do with football) is very telling leadership stuff.

I just can't imagine him taking the Fish job.  Why would anyone with half a clue take the Fish job and be tied to Grier and Noodles?  Makes no sense.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

The things that players say about Daboll (how he talks to them regularly during the offseason about stuff that has nothing to do with football) is very telling leadership stuff.

I just can't imagine him taking the Fish job.  Why would anyone with half a clue take the Fish job and be tied to Grier and Noodles?  Makes no sense.

Someone who wants to break into HC might take the job.  This candidate may not be good enough get a shot elsewhere and hope to do good enough with Miami to be recognized by other teams down the road.  Tough way to break into HC, but for some it might be the only way.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Someone who wants to break into HC might take the job.  This candidate may not be good enough get a shot elsewhere and hope to do good enough with Miami to be recognized by other teams down the road.  Tough way to break into HC, but for some it might be the only way.

I think the team itself has enough good players assembled to have success early on IMO. I realize for many Tua is still a question mark. Myself personally, he can get the job done IMO. Miami Florida is also not the worst place to be in my humble opinion.

Core Four and 17...

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Tua, a good defense and a team that finished over .500 the past two years.

Or Daniel Jones, no competent players on the Giants O-line and a not-so-great Barkley to take any load off Jones. And a team that has been putrid for five years, went through three HCs and two GMs.

Tough choice but teams need head coaches because they're flawed.

1 minute ago, snafu said:

Tua, a good defense and a team that finished over .500 the past two years.

But that's kinda the point. It's not a question to me of whether they are, or can be, a good team. Trying to work for an erratic owner levels that concept because all they need is a bug up their ass and you're either gone, or you're being forced to compromise in areas where you shouldn't compromise.

Look at Shoen right now. Assuming the rumor is true, he goes to NY with the understanding he will be in charge of everything, and immediately the hold up in hiring a HC is that the owner wants Flores and Shoen wants Daboll.

If Shoen wants Daboll, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

But here he is, allegedly not having the leverage he thought he'd have...just one week in.

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

I think the team itself has enough good players assembled to have success early on IMO. I realize for many Tua is still a question mark. Myself personally, he can get the job done IMO. Miami Florida is also not the worst place to be in my humble opinion.

Core Four and 17...

Miami has pieces in place, especially on the defense.  They still need to fix the Oline and need WR help.  There is potential with that team, but I'm not sure Grier is the guy to get all the pieces in place.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

But that's kinda the point. It's not a question to me of whether they are, or can be, a good team. Trying to work for an erratic owner levels that concept because all they need is a bug up their ass and you're either gone, or you're being forced to compromise in areas where you shouldn't compromise.

Look at Shoen right now. Assuming the rumor is true, he goes to NY with the understanding he will be in charge of everything, and immediately the hold up in hiring a HC is that the owner wants Flores and Shoen wants Daboll.

If Shoen wants Daboll, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

But here he is, allegedly not having the leverage he thought he'd have...just one week in.

You just made a case that the Owner for BOTH choices (Phins and Giants) are potentially equally as bad.  That actually would take those factors out of consideration and leave the important question of "how good is the team I'm getting?"  Plus, as they say "winning is a great deodorant".  If I'm a coach stepping into a likely winning situation and I succeed, then I can write my ticket out.  Looking at your bosses is extremely important and at the same time you can't ignore the roster. The Dolphins' Owner and GM might be bad, but their team has recently won.  The Giants have different ownership issues and their teams have sucked badly.

• Like 1