Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Baseball

KD in CA

6 hours ago, B-Man said:

Interesting read..................

“How come there are no left-handed catchers?”

https://www.mlb.com/news/why-there-are-no-left-handed-catchers-in-mlb

When I was a kid (a lefty thrower) I was told I couldn’t play catcher because the right handed batters would affect my ability to throw down to second base.  Couldn’t play second because the turn to throw was inefficient. Couldn’t play the left side of the infield for the same reason. I was also told I was too short to play first base. I was relegated to pitching and playing center field. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, snafu said:

relegated to pitching and playing center field. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

"The tools of ignorance is a nickname for a catcher's protective equipment: catcher's mask, chest protector, and shin guards. Different sources have credited Muddy Ruel and Bill Dickey with coining the phrase."

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 10:16 AM, Alaska Darin said:

What's a amazing is the (thus far) reported return.  They literally gave away the best 3rd baseman in the game to a team in their own league.  The Cardinals are now set at their infield corners for the foreseeable future.  The rest of the lineup isn't very scary but having Goldie and Arenado in the middle of the order is formidable and both play excellent defense.

Cardinals have been one of the best run organizations in sports for basically my entire life.

5 hours ago, snafu said:

Oh my Lord, what an awful return. A career .226 batter and the 20th best Mets pitching prospect.

What are they doing?

Apparently banking on the fact that he's not going to return to form. 

20 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Apparently banking on the fact that he's not going to return to form. 

Looks more like tanking. 

And if they’re tanking/rebuilding then they can’t settle for the #20 pitching prospect of another team.

2 minutes ago, snafu said:

Looks more like tanking. 

And if they’re tanking/rebuilding then they can’t settle for the #20 pitching prospect of another team.

I don't think that's it at all.  They're probably going to end up platooning in the outfield some.  Cordero has never been able to stay healthy but he's got ridiculous power and speed. 

There are also 3 additional players to be named later.  It'll take awhile for Boston to make those selections because the minor league season is going to start late but there's a component of this trade that is looking to help the farm system as well.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 12:18 PM, B-Man said:

When the Red Sox won the playoffs and the 2018 series I thought their defensive outfield of Benintendi, Bradley Jr, and Betts was one of the best I had seen.

As a Yankees fan I now feel the need to quote the infamous Ken Harrelson as the last piece of that outfield has been traded,

• FANtastic 1

MLB unveils new format for minor league baseball divisions and affiliated team names for every level

MLB has officially taken control of minor leagues with a complete restructuring across the board

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-unveils-new-format-for-minor-league-baseball-divisions-and-affiliated-team-names-for-every-level/

MLB as expected announced on Friday that it has taken control of affiliated minor-league baseball and implemented changes that have been anticipated for some time. 

Most importantly, the affiliated minor leagues -- i.e., those teams operating in cooperation with and under the aegis of MLB franchises -- have been reduced to 120 clubs. That constitutes a reduction of more than 40 teams from the preexisting format. As well, minor league baseball will no longer operate independently of MLB, as MLB has now assumed control of affiliated ball now that those 120 teams have signed off on the new agreement. 

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred released the following statement on Friday: 

"We are excited to unveil this new model, which not only provides a pipeline to the Majors, but continues the Minor Leagues' tradition of entertaining millions of families in hundreds of communities. In modernizing our Minor League system, we prioritized the qualities that make the Minor Leagues such an integral part of our game while strengthening how we develop professional athletes on and off the field. We look forward to demonstrating the best of our game throughout local communities, supporting all those who are working hard to grow the sport, and sharing unrivaled technology and resources with minor league teams and players."

For the time being, MLB is referring to the affiliated minors as the Professional Development League (PDL), but it's widely expected that MLB will sell naming rights to the circuit, not unlike the NBA's G League. 

Via MLB.com, here are the 120 affiliated minor league teams and the names and breakdowns of each sub-league at what are now four different levels: 

Triple-A East

Midwest Division
Columbus Clippers (Indians)
Indianapolis Indians (Pirates)
Iowa Cubs (Cubs)
Louisville Bats (Reds)
Omaha Storm Chasers (Royals)
St. Paul Saints (Twins)
Toledo Mud Hens (Tigers)

Northeast Division
Buffalo Bisons (Blue Jays)
Lehigh Valley IronPigs (Phillies)
Rochester Red Wings (Nationals)
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (Yankees)
Syracuse Mets (Mets)
Worcester Red Sox (Red Sox)

Southeast Division
Charlotte Knights (White Sox)
Durham Bulls (Rays)
Gwinnett Stripers (Braves)
Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (Marlins)
Memphis Redbirds (Cardinals)
Nashville Sounds (Brewers)
Norfolk Tides (Orioles)

Triple-A West

East Division
Albuquerque Isotopes (Rockies)
El Paso Chihuahuas (Padres)
Oklahoma City Dodgers (Dodgers)
Round Rock Express (Rangers)
Sugar Land Skeeters (Astros)

West Division
Las Vegas Aviators (A's)
Salt Lake Bees (Angels)
Tacoma Rainiers (Mariners)

Reno Aces (D-backs)

Sacramento River (Giants)

Double A and Single A at the link:

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
On 2/12/2021 at 8:49 AM, snafu said:

Oh my Lord, what an awful return. A career .226 batter and the 20th best Mets pitching prospect.

What are they doing?

Selling at a low, in order to clear salary.

Word around the organization is that they think his development has completely stalled, and that his speed and defensive decline is permanent.

He doesn’t have the bat to justify reps at DH, and they viewed this as an opportunity to move on from him before his value completely cratered.

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Word around the organization is that they think his development has completely stalled, and that his speed and defensive decline is permanent.

He doesn’t have the bat to justify reps at DH, and they viewed this as an opportunity to move on from him before his value completely cratered.

Well that must have been word around KC and MYM organizations, too.

I’m gonna follow him since I think this was a mistake and I need something else to complain about. If the Sox were right, you’ll never hear from me about this again.

On 2/14/2021 at 3:52 PM, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

According to The Athletic, the luxury cap savings is less than $2M based on sending money with him and accepting Cordero's salary.

It's pretty clear the decision makers don't believe in him anymore, which is quite a dramatic fall from grace.

• Like 1