Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Appropos of nothing thread.

Joe

15 hours ago, Foxx said:

Unreal

I watched darts on TV when I lived in England a long time ago.

And still whenever anything is one hundred eighty, my brain says in a booming voice:  

OOOOONNNNEE EEEEIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTTTYYYYYYY!!!!!!

They would put the strangest “sports” on. Darts, billiards, lawn bowling. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, shrader said:

When driving in Europe, is the position of the pedals reversed too?

No, but the wheel is on the other side.

I have never been able to sleep a wink on planes.  First time I drove in the UK I got off a red eye in zombie mode, got in the rental and off we went.  The first couple turns were pretty adventurous.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

Received the following email today at work...

The U.S. Government and DoD have adopted a zero tolerance policy regarding combating Trafficking in Persons (TIP).  Contractors, subcontractors, and their employees shall not do the following:

• Procure commercial sex acts during the period of performance of the contract....

I have questions about what, exactly, prompted this, and why it has to be explicitly stated...

• Doh! 1

14 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Received the following email today at work...

I have questions about what, exactly, prompted this, and why it has to be explicitly stated...

Looks like somebody might have successfully used the Costanza defense and they had to close the hole for future reference.

Edited by snafu

I can’t take any more of this James Webb telescope crap.

I appreciate the engineering abilities that designed and built it and put it into space; and I appreciate the smart minds that will decipher its images someday. And yet — big effin deal.  It can look back in tiiiimmmmme! Q: how will this thing help humans in any way?  A: it won’t.  It is a colossal waste of money.  Ultimately, this useless endeavor ranks right up there with digging up dinosaur bones. 

• Boo 1

8 hours ago, snafu said:

I can’t take any more of this James Webb telescope crap.

I appreciate the engineering abilities that designed and built it and put it into space; and I appreciate the smart minds that will decipher its images someday. And yet — big effin deal.  It can look back in tiiiimmmmme! Q: how will this thing help humans in any way?  A: it won’t.  It is a colossal waste of money.  Ultimately, this useless endeavor ranks right up there with digging up dinosaur bones. 

Humanity will eventually have to reach out beyond Earth if we're going to survive.  Webb telescope may not seem like it's providing any immediate return on investment, but the data it's collecting will help in the (very) long run.

1 hour ago, devnull said:

Humanity will eventually have to reach out beyond Earth if we're going to survive.  Webb telescope may not seem like it's providing any immediate return on investment, but the data it's collecting will help in the (very) long run.

Let’s start with the Moon, ‘ya think?

Been there already. Never went back. We could have a shit ton of telescopes on the Moon by now. It probably has water available, which could be converted into something potable and also for fuel for propulsion. 

But, no.  Let’s waste money studying 13 billion year old stars and studying atmospheres of exoplanets which are so far away that neither we nor any of our progeny will ever pray to see.  In all the press and reporting about the James Webb Telescope, there’s been nothing said about the usefulness of the data it will collect.  The only “use” is that we may confirm or refute theories of a billions-year-old event. And as I said, that’s as useful as researching dinosaur bones. 

I realize that my take on this isn’t the popular one. I may be proven wrong some day. But other than looking at infrared images which will be turned into fancy “artist renderings”, the Webb offers nothing. It’s a 25 year old money pit boondoggle. 

I just received an email from a random court in PA with settlement documents for a custody dispute. There’s no personal information other than names fortunately, but it’s still a pretty bad mistake to make. I’m guessing the mother’s first and middle initial plus her last name combine to form my email address. 

• Facepalm 1

From Faceplant:

Q: How many group members does it take to change light bulb ?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

6 to argue over whether it's 'lightbulb' or 'light bulb'.

Another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid.

22 to tell THOSE 6 to stop being jerks.

5 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is 'lamp'.

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that 'light bulb' is perfectly correct.

49 to post memes and gifs (several are of Michael Jackson eating popcorn with the words added, “I’m just here for the comments.”)

19 to post that this page is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a light bulb page.

11 to defend the posting to this page saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant here.

24 to discuss the merits of LED/swirly fluorescent light bulbs

44 to claim LED and fluorescent bulbs will kill you.

12 to post F.

8 to ask what F means.

7 to post 'Following' but there's 3 dots at the top right that means you don't have to.

15 to say "can't share"

2 to reply "can't share from a closed group"

36 People to post pics of their own light bulbs.

15 People to post "I can't see S$%^!" and use their own light bulbs.

6 to report the post or PM an admin because someone said "f÷×$"

4 to say "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?".

13 to say "Do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

5 admins to ban the light bulb posters who took it all too seriously.

1 late arrival to comment on the original post 6 months later and start it all over again.

20 to give up on fb and take their dogs for a walk instead.*****

And then somebody announces they are leaving the group over the light bulb post, and someone replies back that this isn't an airport so you don't need to announce your departure.

Crap Throwing Clavin
11 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

From Faceplant:

Q: How many group members does it take to change light bulb ?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

6 to argue over whether it's 'lightbulb' or 'light bulb'.

Another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid.

22 to tell THOSE 6 to stop being jerks.

5 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is 'lamp'.

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that 'light bulb' is perfectly correct.

49 to post memes and gifs (several are of Michael Jackson eating popcorn with the words added, “I’m just here for the comments.”)

19 to post that this page is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a light bulb page.

11 to defend the posting to this page saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant here.

24 to discuss the merits of LED/swirly fluorescent light bulbs

44 to claim LED and fluorescent bulbs will kill you.

12 to post F.

8 to ask what F means.

7 to post 'Following' but there's 3 dots at the top right that means you don't have to.

15 to say "can't share"

2 to reply "can't share from a closed group"

36 People to post pics of their own light bulbs.

15 People to post "I can't see S$%^!" and use their own light bulbs.

6 to report the post or PM an admin because someone said "f÷×$"

4 to say "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?".

13 to say "Do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

5 admins to ban the light bulb posters who took it all too seriously.

1 late arrival to comment on the original post 6 months later and start it all over again.

20 to give up on fb and take their dogs for a walk instead.*****

And then somebody announces they are leaving the group over the light bulb post, and someone replies back that this isn't an airport so you don't need to announce your departure.

And @B-Man to post the National Review editorial take on light bulbs, and me to tell him "Well, actually..."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

And @B-Man to post the National Review editorial take on light bulbs, and me to tell him "Well, actually..."

And a pedantic orifice named Tom