Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Appropos of nothing thread.

Joe

I missed all the fun the other day. Apparently animal control caught an injured deer in my yard. Sucker must have been pretty bad because we’re not fenced so there’s no other reason to stop there. 

On 11/23/2021 at 10:42 AM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

So I have a job offer, haven't accepted yet.  But was wondering if anyone had any experience with companies offering "unlimited PTO?"

Generally, I've never liked the idea - too ambiguous, too much in the benefit of the company (who doesn't carry an additional liability, and doesn't have to provide PTO as compensation).  But I've never actually worked for a company with unlimited PTO.  Anyone have any experience with it?

Yes, it’s been all the rage in the tech world for several years.  My company has it.

As the guy who earns his bonus by making sure we hit earnings targets, I love it because it means no one accrues any vacation time and thus we don’t have to pay out anything when people leave.  We also don’t need a system to track it.

From the employee perspective, studies have shown that many people actually take less time off under ‘unlimited’ policies.  At least some of that is due to shitty company culture that doesn’t let people feel they can get away, so that would be something to drill down on.

Crap Throwing Clavin
7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Yes, it’s been all the rage in the tech world for several years.  My company has it.

As the guy who earns his bonus by making sure we hit earnings targets, I love it because it means no one accrues any vacation time and thus we don’t have to pay out anything when people leave.  We also don’t need a system to track it.

From the employee perspective, studies have shown that many people actually take less time off under ‘unlimited’ policies.  At least some of that is due to shitty company culture that doesn’t let people feel they can get away, so that would be something to drill down on.

It's why, as a salaried employee, I'm not a fan of unlimited PTO.  It's basically a cut in earned compensation.  Despite being someone who never takes vacations anyways (about to lose 60 hours of PTO this year that I don't have time to take.)

I already turned down that offer: the offer letter itself said people were expected to work overtime and weekends, so it was clearly wasn't a culture where taking any PTO was going to be encouraged.  Plus, their benefits package as a whole sucked royally - basically, poor health care and an unmatched 401k, and nothing else.  

I’m at a dealership getting some warranty work done on the wife’s car. It’s crazy seeing a dealership with an essentially empty lot. And now that I think about it, they haven’t been running any of the usual Christmas ads this year, have they? Is no one waking up to a brand new Lexus in the driveway on Christmas morning this year?

On 12/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, shrader said:

I’m at a dealership getting some warranty work done on the wife’s car. It’s crazy seeing a dealership with an essentially empty lot. And now that I think about it, they haven’t been running any of the usual Christmas ads this year, have they? Is no one waking up to a brand new Lexus in the driveway on Christmas morning this year?

You haven't been watching Sabres games this year apparently.  GMC & Toyota are still running a ton of ads for no apparent reason.

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

You haven't been watching Sabres games this year apparently.  GMC & Toyota are still running a ton of ads for no apparent reason.

Only airing them during sabre games… that would explain why I’m not seeing them

I have a grinch animal of some type in my neighborhood. Something ran through my net lights overnight and punched a hole through them. I’d guess raccoon from the size of the opening.