Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Appropos of nothing thread.

Joe

20 minutes ago, GG1 said:

What pisses me off is now everyone is starting to use Metaverse in describing their future business prospects.  Just as bad as cloud computing when it started.

Nothing describes clarity of business and purpose better than a cloud.

I've called the cloud "the fog" for years.

I guess calling it "storing all my personal information on someone else's computer" didn't test well with the marketing team.

Edited by snafu
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
27 minutes ago, GG1 said:

What pisses me off is now everyone is starting to use Metaverse in describing their future business prospects.  Just as bad as cloud computing when it started.

Nothing describes clarity of business and purpose better than a cloud.

I still describe the "cloud" as "PaaS/SaaS/IaaS."  Because calling it "cloud" doesn't say shit.  

And I'm going to slap the next person that talks about "Infrastructure as code."  Back in my day, we just called them "scripts."  And get off my lawn!

12 minutes ago, snafu said:

I've called the cloud "the fog" for years.

I guess calling it "storing all my personal information on someone else's computer" didn't test well with the marketing team.

There was a brief moment when they tried to categorize private clouds as fog computing.

• Facepalm 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
8 minutes ago, GG1 said:

There was a brief moment when they tried to categorize private clouds as fog computing.

Be right back, going to go copyright/patent "Freezing Mist computing."

39 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Be right back, going to go copyright/patent "Freezing Mist computing."

I'm going to copyright "invection computing" and "weather inversion computing".

10 minutes ago, snafu said:

I'm going to copyright "invection computing" and "weather inversion computing".

I'm going to copyright Cleveland Steam Cloud

14 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

The internet isn't all bad.

Woof!

There can't be not enough appreciation for that. 

Please just put that back where you found it.

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

The internet isn't all bad.

It's things like that, that make me reflect on growing up in that decade and thinking "Jesus, what the &#%$ was wrong with us?"

10 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

It's things like that, that make me reflect on growing up in that decade and thinking "Jesus, what the &#%$ was wrong with us?"

Nothing that this decade isn't going to fix. 

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Rocket mortgage has called me at least 5 times a day for the last two weeks now. At what point does it qualify as harassment?

The point at which you say "Please put me on your do not call list," and they call you again.

That's when you start keeping a log and making bank off them.

Crap Throwing Clavin

So I have a job offer, haven't accepted yet.  But was wondering if anyone had any experience with companies offering "unlimited PTO?"

Generally, I've never liked the idea - too ambiguous, too much in the benefit of the company (who doesn't carry an additional liability, and doesn't have to provide PTO as compensation).  But I've never actually worked for a company with unlimited PTO.  Anyone have any experience with it?

7 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

So I have a job offer, haven't accepted yet.  But was wondering if anyone had any experience with companies offering "unlimited PTO?"

Generally, I've never liked the idea - too ambiguous, too much in the benefit of the company (who doesn't carry an additional liability, and doesn't have to provide PTO as compensation).  But I've never actually worked for a company with unlimited PTO.  Anyone have any experience with it?

Granted, we only have six employees but we have a "We don't count your PTO days" policy. 

If you truly have a good dedicated group, no one abuses it because everyone else can see it..

They're all also programmers, who need PTO more than most to be good at their job.

In a large company? I absolutely love the idea, but you'll ultimately have people abuse it, and that would show up financially in their annual review, no doubt.

Snarky sports writer finds it necessary to butt heads with local Buffalo journalist.

I swear Wawrow's becoming an online asshat. Open the thread to read it. It's kind of embarrassing for John...by a lot.