Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Quarterback Carousel 2022 (new year starts on pg. 53)

snafu

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

One of my favorites.

images.jpg

Also looks more like Baker Mayfield that Baker Mayfield's.

Maybe that's the secret to doing a Baker Mayfield statue: have the sculptor sculpt a chick.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s a terrible statue.  But is it really as bad as the original idea of actually making a statue of Baker Mayfield?  Who thought that one up?

That was my first thought; why TF are they building a statue of Baker Mayfield?

On 3/14/2022 at 1:09 PM, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Man, the AFC is super QB rich this year. Will be an absolute gauntlet.

Took about 14 years for the mega QB protecting rules post Brady knee injury to fully reach fruition, but it seems more teams than ever have at least GOOD QBs.  Fortunately, the Bills have a great one.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 8:49 PM, RochesterRob said:

Not directly related to this but my understanding is there are still quite a number of people in Houston that are still pissed over the Oilers.  Not that they miss Bud Adams but that jilted lover type thing when your one true loves packs up and leaves for good.  Yes, you might fight and bicker and criticize but the passionate highs compared to nothing else and nothing will replace that.  

But the Pokes never left Texas.

(You DID say their ONE true love. 😉 )

On 3/30/2022 at 9:26 PM, Ann said:

Scott Fitterer Q and A: On draft plans, and recovering on the fly

So as Panthers general manager Scott Fitterer sat poolside at The Breakers resort, overlooking the Atlantic and steps away from the NFL's annual meeting, he talked about the last year-plus of his life, when he took over a personnel department of strangers, and began the work of building a team.

</snip>

Q: When you think about what you've done so far, there are still two big needs on this team — left tackle and quarterback. How do you balance the need to fill both spots, in the context of the sixth overall pick in this year's draft?

FITTERER: "This will be interesting because the tackles will be the best players on the board. But we do need a quarterback, and at some point you have to take a shot, especially in the top 10. You hate to force it, because when you force it, you could make a mistake.

"It's a unique quarterback class, because there's not a clear number one, number two, number three. Like, who's the proven starter who can come in and play for you? That'll be the conversation we have for the next month — quarterback or left tackle. And we could always go pass-rusher because Brian Burns is coming up (they're picking up his option to extend his rookie deal until 2023). I mean, we'll do the option, but if that money gets out of hand, it's better to have somebody ready to go in the hopper."

Q: Looking at quarterbacks this year is not without risk, as many analysts think this class is not as good as previous years in terms of talent. Does that give you pause?

FITTERER: "I hear that. But in reverse, how many times have you seen guys like Joey Harrington labeled can't-miss, and they end up missing? Getting the right person with the right makeup with the right skill set for your offense, and having that blend together is key. So much of it is what's around them. You've got to be able to protect them."

</snip>

Of course, the reverse of that is, sometimes the best QB in an ENTIRE draft class is Mike Glennon.  If you see a LT worth taking top 10 w/ THIS QB class, take the bloody LT.  Don't take EJ Manuel regardless of whether you trade down prior to taking him nor whether you really, really don't believe you have a QB.  (Of course, when you end up alienating the "good enough" QB you had, you might need to overdraft Manuel afterall.)

Just sayin'.

Alaska Darin
11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Of course, the reverse of that is, sometimes the best QB in an ENTIRE draft class is Mike Glennon.  If you see a LT worth taking top 10 w/ THIS QB class, take the bloody LT.  Don't take EJ Manuel regardless of whether you trade down prior to taking him nor whether you really, really don't believe you have a QB.  (Of course, when you end up alienating the "good enough" QB you had, you might need to overdraft Manuel afterall.)

Just sayin'.

That wasn't a great draft for top talent (much like the one we're facing).  Whaley actually did a pretty good job of getting good players elsewhere in the draft but they backed themselves into a corner by being so desperate for a QB.

17 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

That wasn't a great draft for top talent (much like the one we're facing).  Whaley actually did a pretty good job of getting good players elsewhere in the draft but they backed themselves into a corner by being so desperate for a QB.

Oh, yeah.  With Nix being 100% determined to draft a QB before walking into the sunset (there's no way he rides into the sunset after his tenure 😉 ) the Bills WERE taking a QB.  Just our luck that it was the 1 draft in memory that had ZERO viable starters in it.

And, it was smart to trade back once before grabbing a QB.  And was glad they didn't take Nassib nor Geno.  You figure there's at least ONE QB in an entire class.  Thought they had at least a 50/50 shot of Manuel or Glennon being serviceable at worst as a starter.  Nope.  All the flaws each showed in college turned out to be what they were, not what they could overcome.

Alaska Darin
3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Oh, yeah.  With Nix being 100% determined to draft a QB before walking into the sunset (there's no way he rides into the sunset after his tenure 😉 ) the Bills WERE taking a QB.  Just our luck that it was the 1 draft in memory that had ZERO viable starters in it.

And, it was smart to trade back once before grabbing a QB.  And was glad they didn't take Nassib nor Geno.  You figure there's at least ONE QB in an entire class.  Thought they had at least a 50/50 shot of Manuel or Glennon being serviceable at worst as a starter.  Nope.  All the flaws each showed in college turned out to be what they were, not what they could overcome.

I never saw Glennon play but there was nothing I ever saw from Manuel that told me he was consistent enough at any facet of his game to be even a backup.  FSU at that time was still a destination that top players went to and EJ always looked like "just a guy." 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Kyler Murray will get one in a couple years.

I hope his statue is of him sitting on the bench pouting.

• Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I hope his statue is of him sitting on the bench pouting.

Given the quality of the work, it's more likely to be a statue of Sally Field on the bench pouting.

Alaska Darin
4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

why would anyone trade picks in this year's draft, when you can wait a week and give up next year's assets?

\(or wait till he gets cut and give up no assets and pay him a fraction of his current $19 mil salary)

I don't think they can afford to cut him because his entire salary is guaranteed.  They need to trade him and basically beg another team to eat at least some of his money.  For that reason, they might have to trade BM and a higher pick for a lower pick.

How funny would that be? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't think they can afford to cut him because his entire salary is guaranteed.  They need to trade him and basically beg another team to eat at least some of his money.  For that reason, they might have to trade BM and a higher pick for a lower pick.

How funny would that be? 

Somewhere Brock Osweiler is chuckling

• Haha 1

I cannot find the original article/interview as the NBC Sports bay Area 49ers page is kinda hard to navigate. 

Raiders owner Mark Davis open to signing Colin Kaepernick
Kaepernick who hasn’t taken an NFL snap since 2016

</snip>

On Wednesday, team owner Mark Davis offered support to the quarterback who hasn’t taken an NFL snap since 2016. "I believe in Colin Kaepernick," Davis said via NBC Sports Bay Area.

Despite recently signing starting QB Derek Carr to a three-year contract extension worth more than $120 million dollars, Davis insisted Wednesday that he wouldn’t stand in the way if his front office and coaching staff pushed to sign the quarterback. "He deserves every chance in the world to become a quarterback in the National Football League. I still stand by it," said Davis.

</snip>

Davis continued, telling NBC Sports Bay Area: "If our coaches and general manager want to bring him in or want him to be the quarterback on this team, I would welcome him with open arms."

</snip>

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Ann said:

"He deserves every chance in the world to become a quarterback in the National Football League. I still stand by it," said Davis.

HE HAD every chance in the world to become an NFL QB, and he walked away rather than suffer the indignities of NFL slavery.

• Cheers 2