Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Quarterback Carousel 2022 (new year starts on pg. 53)

snafu

Arm of Harm
On 4/25/2022 at 7:08 AM, Alaska Darin said:

That wasn't a great draft for top talent (much like the one we're facing).  Whaley actually did a pretty good job of getting good players elsewhere in the draft but they backed themselves into a corner by being so desperate for a QB.

Of the players Whaley has drafted, which has had the best career? 

His first round picks were Watkins and Lawson. The latter just signed with the Bills for the vet minimum. As for picks in rounds 2 - 7, I don’t remember anyone doing all that much. There was a CB I think named Robey, whom the Bills traded away for a 3rd. There was a LB that I sort of remember being traded to KC. Those four guys were the four best football players he chose. 

Whaley was the GM for three years. Was there a three year period when the Bills achieved less in the draft than they had during Whaley? If there was, that three year period must have been mighty disappointing. 

12 hours ago, Ann said:

I cannot find the original article/interview as the NBC Sports bay Area 49ers page is kinda hard to navigate. 

Raiders owner Mark Davis open to signing Colin Kaepernick
Kaepernick who hasn’t taken an NFL snap since 2016

</snip>

On Wednesday, team owner Mark Davis offered support to the quarterback who hasn’t taken an NFL snap since 2016. "I believe in Colin Kaepernick," Davis said via NBC Sports Bay Area.

Despite recently signing starting QB Derek Carr to a three-year contract extension worth more than $120 million dollars, Davis insisted Wednesday that he wouldn’t stand in the way if his front office and coaching staff pushed to sign the quarterback. "He deserves every chance in the world to become a quarterback in the National Football League. I still stand by it," said Davis.

</snip>

Davis continued, telling NBC Sports Bay Area: "If our coaches and general manager want to bring him in or want him to be the quarterback on this team, I would welcome him with open arms."

</snip>

“I believe in Mark Davis’ barber.,” said Moe Stooge. 

4merper4mer
3 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Of the players Whaley has drafted, which has had the best career? 

His first round picks were Watkins and Lawson. The latter just signed with the Bills for the vet minimum. As for picks in rounds 2 - 7, I don’t remember anyone doing all that much. There was a CB I think named Robey, whom the Bills traded away for a 3rd. There was a LB that I sort of remember being traded to KC. Those four guys were the four best football players he chose. 

Whaley was the GM for three years. Was there a three year period when the Bills achieved less in the draft than they had during Whaley? If there was, that three year period must have been mighty disappointing. 

Robert Woods, Dustin Hopkins, Kiko Alonso, Watkins, Preston Brown, Ross Cockrell , Darby all had real careers.  You can’t pin the Rex year on Whaley IMO.  All those picks reeked of Rex making them.  Not great but not the horror show depicted at times.

Arm of Harm
20 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Robert Woods, Dustin Hopkins, Kiko Alonso, Watkins, Preston Brown, Ross Cockrell , Darby all had real careers.  You can’t pin the Rex year on Whaley IMO.  All those picks reeked of Rex making them.  Not great but not the horror show depicted at times.

Woods, Alonso, and Hopkins were Buddy Nix selections. Of the other guys you mentioned:

Russ Cockrell. Five teams in seven years. 2.5 years as a starter. Has been a backup for the past couple years or so. 

Sammy Watkins. Taken 4th overall, traded away for a 2nd round pick. Not a bust, but never came anywhere close to living up to his draft position. 

Ron Darby. Taken in the 2nd, traded away for a third. Is a starter. Of all the players Whaley chose in rounds 1 - 3, Darby is probably the one who’s come closest to living up to his draft position. 

Preston Brown. 3rd round pick. His career lasted six years, and he is now out of the NFL. He was a four year starter for the Bills, before spending his final two NFL years with other teams. During those final two years he was usually a starter when he played, but was only playing partial seasons. He was better at run stopping than coverage. 

Hypothetically speaking, suppose that tomorrow Beane uses his sixth round picks to add a young Russ Cockrell, a young Ron Darby, and a young Preston Brown. How much would that really help this team? My guess is not much. Of the three, maybe only Darby makes the roster. You could make an argument that adding a young Sammy Watkins might do some good, because of his athletic talent. Then again it might not. If I had to use one word to describe the very best of Whaley’s draft picks, that word would be, “replaceable.” 

4merper4mer
7 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Woods, Alonso, and Hopkins were Buddy Nix selections. Of the other guys you mentioned:

Russ Cockrell. Five teams in seven years. 2.5 years as a starter. Has been a backup for the past couple years or so. 

Sammy Watkins. Taken 4th overall, traded away for a 2nd round pick. Not a bust, but never came anywhere close to living up to his draft position. 

Ron Darby. Taken in the 2nd, traded away for a third. Is a starter. Of all the players Whaley chose in rounds 1 - 3, Darby is probably the one who’s come closest to living up to his draft position. 

Preston Brown. 3rd round pick. His career lasted six years, and he is now out of the NFL. He was a four year starter for the Bills, before spending his final two NFL years with other teams. During those final two years he was usually a starter when he played, but was only playing partial seasons. He was better at run stopping than coverage. 

Hypothetically speaking, suppose that tomorrow Beane uses his sixth round picks to add a young Russ Cockrell, a young Ron Darby, and a young Preston Brown. How much would that really help this team? My guess is not much. Of the three, maybe only Darby makes the roster. You could make an argument that adding a young Sammy Watkins might do some good, because of his athletic talent. Then again it might not. If I had to use one word to describe the very best of Whaley’s draft picks, that word would be, “replaceable.” 

Applying your standards Whaley drafted a total of 13 players over two years .  

Round 1: Watkins

2: Koundjo or however it is spelled, Darby

3: Brown, John Miller

4. Cockrell

5. C. Richardson, K. Williams

6. Steward, O’Leary

7. R. Johnson, Dezmin Lewis, Seantrel Henderson

The Watkins trade obviously had a major impact and was not positive overall, but with such a small sample and a total of 6 picks in the top 4 rounds I’m not sure what your expectations would be.

Lawson was obviously a pick driven by Rex.  If you’re pinning that on Whaley you have to then give him credit for White because that is no different.

Crap Throwing Clavin
27 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

If there were….

Yes, but quoting the first clause of his tweet was part of the point.  Correcting his grammar and not precisely mimicking him reduces the impact.  

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
19 minutes ago, Ann said:

I've read in a couple places that Cleveland wants other teams to pick up most/all of Mayfield's salary.  If you're going to do that, they're not going to give up assets for a guy you can't afford to keep.

Ah, the Browns...where "how are we always this stupid?" is the organizational mantra.

• Like 2