Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

TakeYouToTasker 2.0

6 minutes ago, Ann said:

It is 1/3 of the game...

no - it's not

especially when teams finally figure out its more beneficial to go for it on 4th down.

even with a lot of 3 and outs

3 offense

3 defense

1 ST

1 out 7 is not a 1/3

longer drives just drive the ST % even lower

take out field goals and extra points, which requires no special coverage skills

kick the ball out of the end zone most of the time - no special coverage skills needed

use the roster spots on players that actually can perform on offense and defense - 

• Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

no - it's not

especially when teams finally figure out its more beneficial to go for it on 4th down.

even with a lot of 3 and outs

3 offense

3 defense

1 ST

1 out 7 is not a 1/3

longer drives just drive the ST % even lower

take out field goals and extra points, which requires no special coverage skills

kick the ball out of the end zone most of the time - no special coverage skills needed

use the roster spots on players that actually can perform on offense and defense - 

To go with Marv's "three parts to football."

2 minutes ago, Ann said:

To go with Marv's "three parts to football."

sure 3 parts - not all equal, though

maybe if Marv understood the importance of defense, he would've fired Walt Corey, stopped wasting Bruce Smith in that pathetic scheme and won some Super Bowls.

Just now, Spartacus said:

sure 3 parts - not all equal, though

maybe if Marv understood the importance of defense, he would've fired Walt Corey, stopped wasting Bruce Smith in that pathetic scheme and won some Super Bowls.

Oh for goodness sake...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Ann said:

Taxes

I don't blame him or any high income earner for looking at states like Florida, Tennessee, or Texas.  You don't make great money your entire life, so keeping more of it when it's happening makes a ton of sense.  The people who knew the most about money told me when I was very young to run from NY and never look back.  It was the best advice I ever got.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't blame him or any high income earner for looking at states like Florida, Tennessee, or Texas.  You don't make great money your entire life, so keeping more of it when it's happening makes a ton of sense.  The people who knew the most about money told me when I was very young to run from NY and never look back.  It was the best advice I ever got.

It can definitely make a difference. They pay state taxes in whatever state they play a game, so only home games (8 or 9) get taxed at the higher rate.

California, New Jersey, New York (top tier went up for 2023 almost 2%!!!), Illinois, Minnesota, DC, Massachusetts, etc. should be at a disadvantage compared to Florida, Nevada, and Tennessee. However, if a player plans on living year round in the state where he is on the team, Miami, Tampa, Vegas, and Nashville ain’t exactly cheap. 

Anyhoooo… yes, taxes are a problem in high income tax states when people are paying in the highest tier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ann said:

It can definitely make a difference. They pay state taxes in whatever state they play a game, so only home games (8 or 9) get taxed at the higher rate.

California, New Jersey, New York (top tier went up for 2023 almost 2%!!!), Illinois, Minnesota, DC, Massachusetts, etc. should be at a disadvantage compared to Florida, Nevada, and Tennessee. However, if a player plans on living year round in the state where he is on the team, Miami, Tampa, Vegas, and Nashville ain’t exactly cheap. 

Anyhoooo… yes, taxes are a problem in high income tax states when people are paying in the highest tier.

I can't even pretend to know how the taxation stuff works for pro athletes but I suspect that the income taxes hit the signing bonuses pretty hard, since they're lump sum payments - not compensation earned on game day.

Additionally, it's not just income tax.  NY is 50th in effective tax rate when ALL the taxes are considered.  Little things like gas/food/sales/car registrations & inspections/property add up pretty quick. 

People are quick to point out that housing prices are lower, which seems like a great point...but appreciation tends to lag the rest of the country as well, so you may buy a $1.5M house in Buffalo that is comparable to a $4M house in Florida.  Sounds awesome until you realize that upkeep in WNY is higher, property taxes are virtually identical, and your property in Florida is increasing in value much quicker and will be far easier to sell if/when that time comes because there are WAY more possible customers in that market.

• FANtastic 2

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I can't even pretend to know how the taxation stuff works for pro athletes but I suspect that the income taxes hit the signing bonuses pretty hard, since they're lump sum payments - not compensation earned on game day.

Additionally, it's not just income tax.  NY is 50th in effective tax rate when ALL the taxes are considered.  Little things like gas/food/sales/car registrations & inspections/property add up pretty quick. 

People are quick to point out that housing prices are lower, which seems like a great point...but appreciation tends to lag the rest of the country as well, so you may buy a $1.5M house in Buffalo that is comparable to a $4M house in Florida.  Sounds awesome until you realize that upkeep in WNY is higher, property taxes are virtually identical, and your property in Florida is increasing in value much quicker and will be far easier to sell if/when that time comes because there are WAY more possible customers in that market.

Our house insurance in Florida is almost as much as our Williamsville school taxes were. And, our insurance bill has no restrictions about going up in price 20% every year. Our car insurance is more expensive, etc. We live in a less expensive part of Florida now, but when we had our condo in St Augustine (which was valued at less than half our NYS house), the taxes + HOA fees + insurance was more than our taxes +HOA + insurance in New York by the last year we owned the condo.

Dont get me wrong, our income tax savings ($0 vs a lot) is significant. But, for many  people the difference isn’t as great as expected. The insurance costs in Florida really are crazy. 

31 minutes ago, Ann said:

Our house insurance in Florida is almost as much as our Williamsville school taxes were. And, our insurance bill has no restrictions about going up in price 20% every year. Our car insurance is more expensive, etc. We live in a less expensive part of Florida now, but when we had our condo in St Augustine (which was valued at less than half our NYS house), the taxes + HOA fees + insurance was more than our taxes +HOA + insurance in New York by the last year we owned the condo.

Dont get me wrong, our income tax savings ($0 vs a lot) is significant. But, for many  people the difference isn’t as great as expected. The insurance costs in Florida really are crazy. 

Gotta be cuz of the alligators.  Dinosaurs that can run and swim are terrifying. 😄

• Haha 2

Nouseforaname
4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Imagine hockey players that play for the Canadians.

To continue on the discussion, are players able to spend enough time out of state to avoid taxes? In Quebec, the threshold is 180 days.

https://www.fusiontaxes.com/thought-leadership/blog/best-tax-planning-accounting-strategies-for-football-players/

Residency Tax Rules

Most states have a threshold for the number of days you’re allowed to stay in the state without being liable for taxes. If you frequent a state different from your home state a number of times per year, it is important to track the number of days you’ve spent in a particular state to ensure accurate tax submissions and maximize tax benefits. There is software that can help you track your residency days per stateto aid in an accurate and less complicated tax filing process.

Edited by Nouseforaname
  • Angry 2