Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Appropos of nothing thread.

Joe

Crap Throwing Clavin

Boss: Here's our plan to eat the elephant.

Me: "I don't understand.  'Eat the elephant'?"  (Note: I do understand, I'm just sick of the metaphor.)

How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time.

"But...that's not how you eat an elephant.  Aren't you going to kill it and butcher it first?  No one bites a whole, live elephant.  So you're missing some steps"

"And won't it spoil before you finish it?  If you eat an elephant bite by bite, it's going to take a long time."

"Unless you plan to have multiple people eat the elephant.  But I don't see anything in your plan about sharing an elephant, just eating it.  Do you have an elephant-eating staffing plan?"

"You know what?  I think eating a batch of cookies is a better metaphor.  You eat a batch of cookies one cookie at a time.  I'm going to eat cookies, instead of an elephant."

Say stupid shit, win stupid prizes.  I'm such an @$$h@l&.  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 1:33 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Boss: Here's our plan to eat the elephant.

Me: "I don't understand.  'Eat the elephant'?"  (Note: I do understand, I'm just sick of the metaphor.)

How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time.

"But...that's not how you eat an elephant.  Aren't you going to kill it and butcher it first?  No one bites a whole, live elephant.  So you're missing some steps"

"And won't it spoil before you finish it?  If you eat an elephant bite by bite, it's going to take a long time."

"Unless you plan to have multiple people eat the elephant.  But I don't see anything in your plan about sharing an elephant, just eating it.  Do you have an elephant-eating staffing plan?"

"You know what?  I think eating a batch of cookies is a better metaphor.  You eat a batch of cookies one cookie at a time.  I'm going to eat cookies, instead of an elephant."

Say stupid shit, win stupid prizes.  I'm such an @$$h@l&.  :classic_laugh:

Well played, but to your boss' eventual back track you should have replied

Cookies?

You know who else ate cookies?

Hitler

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

"8% of greenhouse gases..."

:facepalm:

What?  It's true.  Cement production emits a hell of a lot of carbon dioxide.  

One of the reasons, when anyone religiously pushes an alternative energy source, I ask them what the environmental footprint of that source is.  Most of the evangelical anti-CO2 crowd are too stupid to realize that fossil fuels are far from being the only source of carbon emissions.  

• 3 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin

Finally quit my 80-hours-a-week job.

PM has actually been trying to negotiate away deliverables for the past five months, despite multiple people (including me) telling him he couldn't.  Client finally had to call the company's lawyers to talk to him about contractual requirements.  They then dumped all that work on me with the instructions that I had to have it done in two weeks, but none of my other work could slip.

So I gave my notice.  The response was "Is it really that bad?"

My response?  "Are you &#%$ing kidding me?  Since I got out of the hospital a year ago, nothing's changed, and I'm still filling four different positions on the project org chart you haven't staffed.  I was supposed to be on a new project in November, which you reneged on.  And I'm done working overtime to cover the PM's incompetence."

So anyway...I'm free.  And have a new job already lined up, with promises in writing that "No, we won't work you more than 40 hrs/week."  It's going to be good to have a life again.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Cheers 2

I remember the only time I resigned like that.

We were down to only one other full-time Hospital supervisor besides me and when she put in her notice I went to administration and pointed out that we were in deep trouble.

They blew me off.

After a month or so of working, not knowing if I was even going to get any coverage for nights, I just blew up and left.

Post-script:  Because I had been doing so many jobs, they ended up hiring 4 full-time people to replace me. 😎

(2 RN Supers, 1 Discharge planner, and 1 Rehab head nurse.)

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 hours ago, B-Man said:

I remember the only time I resigned like that.

We were down to only one other full-time Hospital supervisor besides me and when she put in her notice I went to administration and pointed out that we were in deep trouble.

They blew me off.

After a month or so of working, not knowing if I was even going to get any coverage for nights, I just blew up and left.

Post-script:  Because I had been doing so many jobs, they ended up hiring 4 full-time people to replace me. 😎

(2 RN Supers, 1 Discharge planner, and 1 Rehab head nurse.)

Right now, they're planning on bringing on three tech writers to cover my documentation responsibilities alone.

Doesn't even consider configuration management, delivery management system administration, build management, or cooperation with three different client organizations.

I've basically been doing the work of...eight people?  Ridiculous.

• Wow 2
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 1/27/2023 at 3:52 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Right now, they're planning on bringing on three tech writers to cover my documentation responsibilities alone.

Doesn't even consider configuration management, delivery management system administration, build management, or cooperation with three different client organizations.

I've basically been doing the work of...eight people?  Ridiculous.

Boss puts together a list of all my tasks - two items.

Federal PM says "Who are you assigning to take over Tom's six tasks."

I send out a list of 23 tasks I'm taking care of.

Boss: "I didn't know you were doing all that work."

Me: "I know.  Even though I've reported the status of every single one to you weekly, you still had no idea.  The federal PM knows more than you.  That's why I'm leaving."

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 minutes ago, Foxx said:

And it sounds like even they don't know the complete picture.

They know about my tasks that directly interface with them - documentation, delivery.  Not the DBA work, of configuration management, or build process.

So what that says about my PM is that he doesn't even know what we're supposed to deliver to the client.  16 months in to the project.

• Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin

Newest thing is that my managers have gone from "We need two people to replace Tom," to "We need eight people to replace Tom," to "We don't have enough people in the company to replace Tom."  

Four of my 23 tasks, they can't identify a person to do them.  

• Applause 3
  • FANtastic 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Newest thing is that my managers have gone from "We need two people to replace Tom," to "We need eight people to replace Tom," to "We don't have enough people in the company to replace Tom."  

Four of my 23 tasks, they can't identify a person to do them.  

Back when I was employed by an employer, my boss used to tell me repeatedly that he wished he could place me on a copy machine and print more of me. Took me awhile but it finally sunk in that I was very good at what I do and that I could probably make it on my own. 

All of which is to say that it may be worth your while to start something you control.

• Like 1
  • Love 1