Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Appropos of nothing thread.

Joe

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

In the ICU with her now.  She's doing so well, she successfully pronounced "Ukko-Pekka Luukonen."

Glad to hear she is doing okay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

In the ICU with her now.  She's doing so well, she successfully pronounced "Ukko-Pekka Luukonen."

Still say he should've been named Ukka Pukka Dukka.  Rolls of the tongue much better.

Glad your wife is doing better.  Really hope she has a full recovery.

• Like 1

Just now, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

I am so glad she is doing well. I hope she makes a full and complete recovery.  :hug:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

BUFFALO — It’s the city of wings and flings.

New research from the Thriving Center of Psychology has found that Buffalo is one of the best cities in America to be single. 

The western New York metropolis has the third most single people per capita compared to other major cities, according to the survey, which relied on US census data. But it also boasts the most single women per capita of any city, and the ninth most single men.

Buffalo bachelors, especially, are cheering the favorable conditions.

50 minutes ago, Ann said:

BUFFALO — It’s the city of wings and flings.

New research from the Thriving Center of Psychology has found that Buffalo is one of the best cities in America to be single. 

The western New York metropolis has the third most single people per capita compared to other major cities, according to the survey, which relied on US census data. But it also boasts the most single women per capita of any city, and the ninth most single men.

Buffalo bachelors, especially, are cheering the favorable conditions.

A much older Louis De Palma disagrees.

Shaking Head No Nope GIF - Shaking Head No Nope Danny Devito ...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Hope all goes well tonight.

(I'll refrain from the pidgin jokes.)

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

Hope all goes well tonight.

(I'll refrain from the pidgin jokes.)

I wasn't kidding.  I did ask her to pronounce Ukko-Pekka Luukonnen and Ilya Lyubushkin.  The nurses were laughing.  Even they admitted it was a decent test.  

She should be coming home today.  Just waiting on the call from the hospital.

• Like 6

On 2/21/2023 at 5:54 PM, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Night aircraft carrier landing.  People forget that mid-ocean, away from light, on a blacked-out carrier, it's dark as &#%$.

Of my 306 traps, 103 were at night.

Always interesting, including the taxi to your shutdown site, as you can tell from the video.

• Like 3

Crap Throwing Clavin
On 3/5/2023 at 7:46 AM, Sherpa said:

Of my 306 traps, 103 were at night.

Always interesting, including the taxi to your shutdown site, as you can tell from the video.

Can you tell, from that video, how many other planes are spotted on deck?

Didn't even occur to me, until you mentioned taxiing, that you could be taxiing around other planes, too.

13 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Can you tell, from that video, how many other planes are spotted on deck?

Didn't even occur to me, until you mentioned taxiing, that you could be taxiing around other planes, too.

After landing, you don't really taxi around others.

Once you trap, the arresting gear pulls you back a couple feet which gives some slack in the arresting gear and allows you to raise the hook and start the wingfold process. There might be a few airplanes back towards the fantail on the outside of what's called the foul line, but you go by them just prior to touchdown, and your focus is so intense on the meatball and centerline at that time you don't see them.

Once out of the arresting gear and the wings coming up, those directors you see in that video, (actually you only see the wands), direct you.

They pass you off, one to the next and you taxi all the way up on the starboard side of the bow, all the way forward, then a hard left followed by another hard left, so now you are taxiing aft.  Both those turns are with the cockpit over the water, since the nose gear is behind you and are  a little unnerving. Really unnerving if the deck is moving at all, which it usually is.

Once you get to your shut down spot, another really hard left turn pointing at the island, and you shutdown and they chain you. At night they look for a landing every minute, actually you could set your watch by it. During day, it's 45 seconds, so while you are taxing there is the two guys who landed after you doing the same route, so the keep you as close to the side as possible.  It's a real ballet.

In that video, they have a very unusual camera angle so during that very brief period before he traps, there is no view of the HUD, which would be on, and obviously all the various cockpit stuff.

It is incredibly dark though. At night I would stay inside the cockpit until about a half mile, then outside looking at the ball and the centerline while picking up HUD data but looking through it.

That is all you see though, the centerline lights and the ball. Touchdown always comes as a shock.

It is incredibly intense and would take well over an hour to decompress.

On moonless or bad weather nights, the launch could be pretty interesting also.

Once you're ready, you flip on the external lights, swallow any saliva so it doesn't go down the wrong pipe, because it is going backwards, then lock your head against the seat because your neck is not strong enough to hold your head forward, then its an extremely violent launch. Takes a second to refocus then on the HUD in pure blackness, and you're on your way.

Things are nearly as violent now with the new cats and arresting gear.

Edited by Sherpa
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Keukasmallie

When is a picture NOT worth a thousand words?

Apparently when the picture(s) depict the January 6th "attempt to overthrow the US government."

Edited by Keukasmallie
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

It shocks me, how many people don't know math.

PEMDAS

Crap Throwing Clavin
8 minutes ago, snafu said:

PEMDAS

Also, Phys.Rev. standards, which say implied multiplication takes precedence over left-to-right evaluation.

I'll take the standards of the single biggest physics journal on the planet over any acronym, any day. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Also, Phys.Rev. standards, which say implied multiplication takes precedence over left-to-right evaluation.

I'll take the standards of the single biggest physics journal on the planet over any acronym, any day. 

Sure, but the acronym saves a lot of words and says pretty much the same thing.

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, snafu said:

Sure, but the acronym saves a lot of words and says pretty much the same thing.

Check out that Twitter thread, and see how many are misusing it.  It's frightening.  People are still telling me the result is "9," even after I explained it.

Have I ever mentioned that people are idiots?  Because people are idiots.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Check out that Twitter thread, and see how many are misusing it.  It's frightening.  People are still telling me the result is "9," even after I explained it.

Uh, rather than exposing myself to extra stupidity today I'll take your word for it.

I'm certainly no "mathy", but even I know that you don't necessarily read a math equation like you read a sentence of text.

Crap Throwing Clavin

Gizmodo: "Temperatures next week on the Eastern Seaboard are going to be 70-80% below normal!"

Me: "Well...taking normal as ten Celsius, on the Kelvin scale that's 293 degrees, so it's going to be...-300 degrees Farhenheit?" 

Mathematical morons.  Have I mentioned people are idiots yet?  

Keukasmallie
22 hours ago, Crap Throwing Clavin said:

Thankfully, our president is also an idiot!  As are the 90,000,000 who 

put him where he could do the most damage.

Edited by Keukasmallie
I refuse to capitalize the word president while the idiot claims the title.
  • Like 1