Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Appropos of nothing thread.

Joe

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 minutes ago, devnull said:

I prefer WWI history

Same here...and Napoleonic Wars, and Mongolian military history, and Classical Greek wars.  And been doing that since I was 12.

So I was the youngest 35-year old man in history, I guess.

Crap Throwing Clavin

Why is Steven Spielberg the greatest director ever?  This:

Starts with three actors walking into the shot from a distance.  They have a conversation/argument.  They walk around each other while speaking - Dreyfus at one point crosses from left to right, back to the left, Scheider exits the dialog into the background, to let Dreyfus and Hamilton argue, then walks back into the discussion from the background and interrupts.

So far, one camera shot, one brief pan and back to track Dreyfus.  Actors are moving around, adding a physical dynamic to the dialog, making it more engaging and fluid.  And it's blocked out almost like a stage scene - actors moving and talking, and talking simultaneously, while staying within frame.

Then...Hamilton starts walking to the right.  Scheider and Dreyfus follow.  Dreyfus at one point walks out to the right to lead, then turns and walks backwards while still talking - and for the third time, crosses in front of Scheider and Hamilton without actually blocking them.  Scheider again walks out of the scene - this time off-camera to the right - to give Dreyfus's lines the focus.  Then the billboard and Scheider both enter the shot, perfectly timed for the billboard to be the focus of the dialog.  Hamilton comes to the front looking pensive, Scheider and Dreyfus talk in the background, then move back to the foreground to talk to Hamilton. 

And the camera moves with them...camera tracks left, moving with the actors, who all stay in frame while moving (except Scheider, who exits and leaves as necessary).  And as the billboard enters, the camera lowers and tilts up, to deemphasize the billboard and make the characters more dominant for the scene-ending dialog...and the actors stay in frame, even while moving through the depth of the shot.

So it starts out blocked like a stage scene...it ends blocked like a stage scene where the stage is moving (right-to-left, and upwards.)

With one camera, in one single 2:30 shot.  

You don't see that anymore.  You see actors walking side-by-side talking, with a camera leading in a dolly shot.  You see tracking shots where the camera moves with characters, even in complex motions (e.g. Kill Bill, the overhead tracking shot preceding the fight at the House Of Blue Leaves; Serenity, the tracking shot through the space ship introducing the main characters).  You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of movies that have actors walking laterally and around each other, while talking, while a single camera tracks them for one long shot.

For all the amazing scenes in Jaws, this one might be the greatest, technically, and most under-appreciated.

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

Anyone want an American flag pen for the 4th?

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/acrylic-pen-blank-stars-and-wavy-stripes

There's a few different pen styles I can make with this (search that site for Wall Street, Princeton, Arete, Atlas - I may be limited as to how many kits of one style I can get.)  Anything too expensive (above $10), I might have to ask you to kick me some money, but anything under $10 I can afford to give away.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Can she play RB? Excellent stiff arm.

Looks like me and my wife on “date night”, HaHa!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Where's @mead107 with his wine glass when you need him? 

💭

"Shouldn't this be in the conspiracy thread?"

Ann, Augie and Mead probably.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1

46 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

💭

"Shouldn't this be in the conspiracy thread?"

Ann, Augie and Mead probably.

That is such a sad sight. :crying2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Where's @mead107 with his wine glass when you need him? 

What kind of wine?  I mean...what brand?  Who bottles it?

Hell, let me just put it this way: wine futures are a thing.  What should I buy?

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1