Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Jets Chat

Ann

It will be a few more months before Zach Wilson's NFL career begins in earnest. But his first workout as a quarterback for the New York Jets is in the books.

The No. 2 overall selection, along with his fellow 2021 draftmates and undrafted free agents, commenced rookie minicamp Friday. Wilson said it didn't take long to notice the difference between the college and pro game.

"A lot of thinking. Way more thinking than you typically want to do in football, but that's a Day 1 kind of thing," Wilson told reporters Saturday. "I really think it just comes down to the scheme part of it, how much more detailed and complicated, to a point. And I think that's what makes it so special.

"There's so many small things that change that momentum and change a game. That's what separates everybody in this league. The best and the worst quarterbacks, whoever it is, it's such a small difference between those, and it really shows you the littlest details are what make the biggest difference."

</snip>

"Obviously, that's important, but that's not my focus right now," he said. "My focus is to learn the offense, keep getting better every single day, do what I can with the guys around me. And I think the rest takes care of itself. In this position, the coaches want to play the best player, and that position's got to be earned. I got to go in there and I got to make sure I do what I'm supposed to do. And that will take care of itself."

First-year coach Robert Saleh liked what he saw from his new signal-caller in the opening session.

</snip>

2 hours ago, Ann said:

First-year coach Robert Saleh liked what he saw from his new signal-caller in the opening session.

What else could he say? "Zach sucked, I regret drafting him!"?

2 hours ago, Ann said:

2 minutes ago, Koko said:

What else could he say? "Zach sucked, I regret drafting him!"?

Saleh could have been honest and admitted he drafted Wilson just so he could hang out with Zach Wilson's mom

26 minutes ago, devnull said:

Saleh could have been honest and admitted he drafted Wilson just so he could hang out with Zach Wilson's mom

I'd have no issues with that.

On 5/9/2021 at 1:20 PM, Koko said:

I'd have no issues with that.

Anyone would be a damn fool if they did. 

Five NFL veterans on chopping block after draft: Jets' Jamison Crowder, Bucs defensive end and more

Jamison Crowder (WR)
Cap savings if released: $10.3M
Potential rookie replacement: Elijah Moore

Crowder is in a very classic but difficult scenario for him, his team, and fans. He's a good player. Really good. One of the most consistent, reliable slot receivers in the NFL. Besides 2018, when he was limited to nine games due to injury, Crowder has 50-plus grabs and at least 600 yards in every season as a pro and a very respectable 26 career touchdowns in the regular season. 

But now, a dynamic, ultra-consistent slot wideout picked in the second-round round is awkwardly on the roster. Sure, the Jets likely want as many weapons for Zach Wilson as they can muster, but Elijah Moore was likely picked at No. 34 to replace Crowder, eventually. When "eventually" gets here is the ultimate question. 

</snip>

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...