Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Jets Chat

Ann

New York Jets could hold winning lottery ticket as Zach Wilson's draft stock soars

1. Power position: The Zach Wilson hype train is speeding toward the 2021 NFL draft, and the biggest beneficiary (other than Wilson) is the Jets. Wilson's soaring popularity has increased the value of the No. 2 overall pick, and the Jets have done their part by maintaining a poker face.

</snip>

2. Darnold in limbo: Because they have a new coach in Robert Saleh, the Jets are allowed to start their offseason workout program on April 5, two weeks earlier than teams with returning coaches. It might be a bit awkward if Darnold's status remains unsettled.

3. Say it ain't so, Joe: Pray it's posturing.

Douglas' midweek comments to the media, taken at face value, suggest he will have no interest in trading for Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. The GM gave every impression he won't break the lock on his treasure chest of draft picks until it's time to draft.

</snip>

• Like 1

This guy might be smokin' something. He  writes this as if Darnold will command a first round pick plus more in trade.  m'kay. Anything is possible I suppose.

Plenty of potential suitors if (when?) Jets opt to trade Sam Darnold

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. Days numbered? Sam Darnold's chances of returning in 2021 seemed to improve with the hiring of coach Robert Saleh, who spoke of the quarterback in glowing terms (privately to friends as well). Now, 46 days before the 2021 NFL draft, those chances appear to be fading.

General manager Joe Douglas all but posted a "For Sale" sign when he recently admitted he is open to fielding trade inquiries. Since then, nothing has changed with regard to Darnold. The Jets are listening. This month, Douglas will be a fixture on the QB/pro day circuit. It kicked off Friday at North Dakota State, where he scouted Trey Lance, a likely top-10 pick.

The smart money is on Darnold, 23, being traded, assuming BYU's Zach Wilson -- widely regarded as the draft's QB2 -- checks the important boxes during the pre-draft process. (The medical check on Wilson bears watching because of his surgically repaired throwing shoulder.)

There is a market for Darnold, based on supply and demand. Here are potential trading partners, including each team's premium draft capital:

</snip>

• Cheers 2

This is a very cautionary tale about what circumstances a young QB is drafted into.

Compare the fates of Sam Darnold and Josh Allen. Darnold is on the verge of being sold for scrap. Who is to say that Darnold is not in the same category as Allen in terms of raw talent? Darnold might become this generation's Archie Manning.

The more you look at the record of the Beane/McDermott/Pegula era, the more you realize that we are doing things right in every department. 

Alaska Darin
21 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Who is to say that Darnold is not in the same category as Allen in terms of raw talent?

I'll say it.  Not even close.

Allen might be the most gifted overall QB in the history of the game.  Size, strength, speed, athleticism, arm, etc.  Darnold isn't even in the suburbs of Allen's neighborhood.

Your point about situations is completely valid.  The BILLS are a study in how to develop a QB, though I suspect they had no intention of putting Allen on the field his rookie season because of all the plumbers he was going to be playing with.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'll say it.  Not even close.

Allen might be the most gifted overall QB in the history of the game.  Size, strength, speed, athleticism, arm, etc.  Darnold isn't even in the suburbs of Allen's neighborhood.

Your point about situations is completely valid.  The BILLS are a study in how to develop a QB, though I suspect they had no intention of putting Allen on the field his rookie season because of all the plumbers he was going to be playing with.

Allen has far exceeded my expectations. I will admit to being lukewarm on him when he was drafted. I guess that's why Beane's a GM and I'm a fan. If Darnold goes to another dysfunctional franchise like Houston or Chicago, he might be done.

• Like 2

Alaska Darin
28 minutes ago, stuvian said:

Allen has far exceeded my expectations. I will admit to being lukewarm on him when he was drafted. I guess that's why Beane's a GM and I'm a fan. If Darnold goes to another dysfunctional franchise like Houston or Chicago, he might be done.

I've said it before here:  I'll believe that USC QBs can make in the NFL when another one does it.  If I was a GM, I'd be very wary of Pac-10 QBs just based on history.

Darnold has never performed at a high level against elite competition because he's never really faced it.  The best team he beat in college was a bad PSU club in a 52-49 shootout.  Not exactly a defensive juggernaut. 

I think no matter what he does with his next team, he's going to get to hold a clipboard for someone for about as long as he wants.   He's an intriguing guy because he shows flashes around all the brain farts but he's always had pretty happy feet when under pressure.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I've said it before here:  I'll believe that USC QBs can make in the NFL when another one does it.  If I was a GM, I'd be very wary of Pac-10 QBs just based on history.

Darnold has never performed at a high level against elite competition because he's never really faced it.  The best team he beat in college was a bad PSU club in a 52-49 shootout.  Not exactly a defensive juggernaut. 

I think no matter what he does with his next team, he's going to get to hold a clipboard for someone for about as long as he wants.   He's an intriguing guy because he shows flashes around all the brain farts but he's always had pretty happy feet when under pressure.

True. The last good Trojan QB was Carson Palmer. You'd think the Jets might have learned from the Butt Fumble experience.

Alaska Darin
12 minutes ago, stuvian said:

True. The last good Trojan QB was Carson Palmer. You'd think the Jets might have learned from the Butt Fumble experience.

You could have said "the only good Trojan QB was Carson Palmer" - because that's reality.  The pile of bad NFL QBs from USC looks like the gut pile of Persians in "The 300".