Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Jets Chat

Ann

4 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/03/zach-wilson-4/

Dude wouldn't touch Zach Wilson.

Interesting take.

9. A number of times his receivers literally had to stand there and wait for football to arrive on shorter intermediate routes. Those will be pick-sixes in the NFL. 

This would be very concerning to me, were I to give a shit about what the Jests do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We'll see if they do better with the next one..

Ryan Kalil: Adam Gase's system didn't allow Sam Darnold freedom to develop

Many outside the New York Jets facility viewed Sam Darnold 's struggles the past two seasons as a byproduct of poor coaching from Adam Gase and his staff. The theory posits that Darnold is a talented player whose coaching staff never put him in a position to succeed.

Apparently, that isn't just a notion fed by media. It's a tale some who sat in the Jets' locker room believe.

Retired center Ryan Kalil spent 2019 with the Jets after 12 years in Carolina. He told Joe Person of The Athletic recently that the Jets' system held Darnold back from developing into a stable signal-caller.

"It was a system that didn't allow a lot of individual freedom. It was very, 'You do it this way and that's it,'" Kalil said. "A lot of the scheme was pre-determined (plays) based on what they thought they were seeing from the sideline. It didn't give Sam a lot of room to grow, in my opinion, to make decisions on the fly. It worked in some instances, but it handicapped him in the long run.

"It wasn't a system that allowed him to evolve and make decisions on his own. I think that was the hardest thing. And I think that's why ultimately the Jets made some (coaching) changes, too."

</snip>

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
38 minutes ago, Ann said:

We'll see if they do better with the next one..

Ryan Kalil: Adam Gase's system didn't allow Sam Darnold freedom to develop

Many outside the New York Jets facility viewed Sam Darnold 's struggles the past two seasons as a byproduct of poor coaching from Adam Gase and his staff. The theory posits that Darnold is a talented player whose coaching staff never put him in a position to succeed.

Apparently, that isn't just a notion fed by media. It's a tale some who sat in the Jets' locker room believe.

Retired center Ryan Kalil spent 2019 with the Jets after 12 years in Carolina. He told Joe Person of The Athletic recently that the Jets' system held Darnold back from developing into a stable signal-caller.

"It was a system that didn't allow a lot of individual freedom. It was very, 'You do it this way and that's it,'" Kalil said. "A lot of the scheme was pre-determined (plays) based on what they thought they were seeing from the sideline. It didn't give Sam a lot of room to grow, in my opinion, to make decisions on the fly. It worked in some instances, but it handicapped him in the long run.

"It wasn't a system that allowed him to evolve and make decisions on his own. I think that was the hardest thing. And I think that's why ultimately the Jets made some (coaching) changes, too."

</snip>

Just another coach who is too smart to win football games.

• Like 1

One of the biggest reasons for coaches' failure is their propensity to try to fit a round peg in a square hole. It's the attitude that this is my system and you will have to fit into it. If that's what they want to do then they need to have players that fit their system. Too many of them take race horses and try to make them pull a wagon or expect the draft horses to win races. These are the coaches that fail. Think of Adam Gase or Rex Ryan. Now compare them to Don Granato who took over the Sabres and changed their system to what he thought matched his talent. He then released the Kraken and they now look like a young team that is very talented and exciting to watch. One would think that coaches who reach the pinnacle in their respective sports would understand this. 

• Like 3

Alaska Darin
6 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

One of the biggest reasons for coaches' failure is their propensity to try to fit a round peg in a square hole. It's the attitude that this is my system and you will have to fit into it. If that's what they want to do then they need to have players that fit their system. Too many of them take race horses and try to make them pull a wagon or expect the draft horses to win races. These are the coaches that fail. Think of Adam Gase or Rex Ryan. Now compare them to Don Granato who took over the Sabres and changed their system to what he thought matched his talent. He then released the Kraken and they now look like a young team that is very talented and exciting to watch. One would think that coaches who reach the pinnacle in their respective sports would understand this. 

It's my biggest issue with Krueger "the new coach" versus Krueger "the actual coach."  Krueger said all the right things at his early press conferences and interviews, talking about fitting schemes to talent.  Then went out and did exactly the opposite.

• Like 1

NFL Draft 2021: Are the Jets definitely taking Zach Wilson? Why not all are convinced, plus more insider notes

At least one exec questions Wilson-to-Jets as a lock

</snip>

Now, count me among those who heard from proven, trusted sources, weeks ago, that Wilson was the Jets' guy at that time and they had an eye on him all along … But that doesn't mean they had to make the decision then, and they still don't have to make it now.

</snip>

"Are we all sure that Wilson is going second?" one longtime AFC executive said. "Is that written in stone somewhere? Seriously, have they come out and said it? Maybe Wilson is the pick, but you can't tell me he is absolutely a better prospect than Fields. We would take Fields there at 2. What if they do take Fields? Then San Francisco takes Wilson. Then New England comes up to 4 and gets Jones. There's no way that could happen?"

</snip>

• Like 1

New York Jets' QB decision: 'Holy cow' throws and the nonexistent debate

For months, Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields were perceived as the top two quarterback prospects in the 2021 NFL draft (April 29-May 1, on ESPN and the ESPN app). The New York Jets were trending toward Lawrence until they won a game -- and another -- putting themselves in position to draft 2021's QB2.

Barring a major upset, the No. 2 pick by the Jets won't be Fields.

At some point during the pre-draft process, New York general manager Joe Douglas fell hard for Zach Wilson. He's not alone. The scouting community has plenty of love for the former BYU star, but there are those who still rate Fields higher than Wilson.

This is the great thing about talent evaluation: Beauty is in the eye of the team holding the draft card.

</snip>

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1