Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Jets Chat

Ann

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'll take "Things that would make Deshaun Watson want to stay with the Texans" for $200, Alex.

Sure seems like it, yeah?

Robert Saleh adds Spygate-tainted Steve Scarnecchia to Jets staff

New Jets coach Robert Saleh hired someone to his staff with ties to Spygate. 

Steve Scarnecchia is Saleh’s chief of staff, a position where he will work closely with the new Jets head coach. A decade ago, people thought Scarnecchia may never work in the NFL again.

Scarnecchia was a central figure in Spygate II with the Broncos in 2010. He was fired by the team for filming a walkthrough practice of the 49ers a day before the two teams played in London. The NFL fined the Broncos $50,000 and coach Josh McDaniels $50,000 for the incident in which it was found Scarnecchia filmed six minutes of the San Francisco walkthrough. McDaniels was fired a week after Scarnecchia.

The NFL viewed Scarnecchia as a “repeat offender” because he was a member of the *Patriots video department from 2001-04 and was implicated in the original Spygate scandal. 

</snip>

• Cheers 1

From Albert Breer's (very long) column this morning. Under 10 takeaways:

</snip>

5) My guess is that Sam Darnold’s name will continue to come up. We told you last week four teams called the Jets, in the aftermath of the Stafford trade, to inquire on Sam Darnold’s availability. More have called since, I’m told, and the answer those teams got was the same that the ones calling before got—Check back with us soon. Right now, the Jets coaching staff is working through its tape evaluation of the draft-eligible quarterbacks, which is a huge piece to all of his. The job, for the Jets right now, is to compare and contrast what it has in Darnold (at 23, with a year plus an option year left on his contract) to what Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, or Trey Lance (coming on new/affordable rookie deals) could be for them. There are a lot of teams that would be obvious potential landing spots. Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Chicago and San Francisco make sense, pending what happens with Wentz, and the scarcity of available names (and I mean actually available, not just potentially available) right now could drive Darnold’s value up. Either way, it’s a good spot for Jets GM Joe Douglas and new coach Robert Saleh to be in.

6) I think the Jets and Dolphins are in position to deal their Top 3 picks. That doesn’t mean either will (I think the Jets, for one, are more likely than not to stay put). It does mean that there will be a market for both the second and third picks. Teams will emerge from the Wentz situation with a quarterback. Others are quietly looking for an upgrade over who they already have, or for an heir to put behind an aging starter. I think because of all that, teams will look at 2 and 3 as potential places to get those things, and with four guys that I believe are seen as worthy of going in the Top 10, whoever gets there will have options. Would teams have to go that high to get them? Well, if you’re paying attention …

</snip>

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I donno, I was over at JetsNation and they seemed to think this meant Darnold was worth at least a first+. :classic_dry:

LOSERS:

</snip>

3) The market for Sam Darnold: If you're the Jets, the compensation for Wentz probably doesn't bode well for the return if New York decides to trade Darnold. As bad as Wentz was last season, over the course of his career, he has been better than Darnold, and the Eagles still did not get an outright first-round pick for him. If Darnold becomes available, there will probably be more suitors for him, but the Wentz deal shows a trade for Darnold won't reap a windfall for the Jets.

</snip>

59 minutes ago, Ann said:

The comments by the Jets fans on this tweet shows that he is probably not wrong.

Jamal Adams: some thoughts on Jets' fans

I'll never understand how it's accepted by society that players leave a team and can so openly bash and trash an organization. 

If you leave a club and have nothing nice to say - say nothing. It's true for everything. When it's over it's over, move on. 

• Like 1

More speculation. Why not?

What Jets' 2021 NFL draft might look like, with and without Sam Darnold

</snip>

Let's have some fun and project how the draft might play out in each situation (not necessarily in the order of likelihood):

Scenario 1: Trade Darnold, draft a quarterback.

</snip>

There are some who believe the Jets could get more for Darnold than what the Philadelphia Eagles received for Wentz -- a 2021 third-rounder and a 2022 conditional second-round pick that can rise to a first-rounder based on playing time. Wentz was an MVP candidate in 2017, but he also has baggage -- a big contract, an injury history and questions about his coachability. As one league source said, "Darnold is cheap. He has two years left [on his contract, including the fifth-year option]. Great kid, poor team."

In our projection, the Jets trade Darnold to the Washington Football Team for a swap of first-round picks (Nos. 19 and 23), a 2021 second-round pick (No. 51) and a 2022 third-rounder. The one caveat is Deshaun Watson. If the Houston Texans decide to trade their star, the Jets must be prepared to pivot quickly. Removing Watson from the equation, the Jets could walk away with these picks and prospects (see scenario 1 chart).

</snip>

Scenario 2: Keep Darnold, draft best player available. The Jets reportedly have fielded trade inquiries on Darnold from a handful of teams.

A source from one of those teams came away with the impression Darnold won't be dealt. If that's the case, the Jets can use their draft capital to build around him. If they opt for the status quo -- risky, considering Darnold's underwhelming body of work -- their prospect haul could look like this (see scenario 2 chart):

</snip>

Scenario 3: Keep Darnold, trade down. The Jets could make a killing if a quarterback-needy team below them wants to swap picks.

</snip>

35 minutes ago, Ann said:

Can you imagine spending two Top-3 draft choices on a QB in such a short period of time? 

The thing that makes the most sense is trying to put something around Darnold.  Trade down, pick up multiple high picks and parlay that strategy into a significantly improved roster.

I'm not a Darnold fan (duh) but I don't see how an an organization you start this process over again so quickly.

8 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Can you imagine spending two Top-3 draft choices on a QB in such a short period of time? 

The thing that makes the most sense is trying to put something around Darnold.  Trade down, pick up multiple high picks and parlay that strategy into a significantly improved roster.

I'm not a Darnold fan (duh) but I don't see how an an organization you start this process over again so quickly.

On the other hand, if Darnold is not the answer, why drag it out only to have to restart the process in a year or two?

1 minute ago, Ann said:

On the other hand, if Darnold is not the answer, why drag it out only to have to restart the process in a year or two?

I don't know how to even evaluate Darnold.  That offense was an absolute disaster in just about every way.  The little talent they had spent most of the season injured and schematically it took them like 3/4ths of the season to realize they needed to have a hot route every passing play to give him some kinda outlet against all the Cover Zero they were seeing.

Can Darnold play in the NFL?  I think the answer is "maybe".  But picking another QB at the top of the draft when the only issue you've really solved is dumping Gase and his offense doesn't seem like a recipe for more success. 

You have to put talent around young QBs.  It's not a coincidence that JA took an enormous leap forward with the overhaul of the offense in 2019, the additions of Diggs/Moss/Davis in 2020, and the cohesive scheme the BILLS have had since he got here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

It's too soon to know if Darnold is the answer or not. What we DO know is that Gase and staff were NOT the answer, which means Darnold has yet to show what he can do if he has competent coaches and schemes supporting him.

I get it. They're starting over anyway. But I think you're better off turning that #2 pick into multiple lower picks (and maybe get a good, older receiver for Darnold as part of the trade) and build a team properly. 

I would add that you will likely get more value out of trading out of the #2 spot than you'll ever get trying to trade Darnold post-Wentz deal.

That said, I don't know any more than the average dude selling oranges on the street corner.

4 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

It's too soon to know if Darnold is the answer or not. What we DO know is that Gase and staff were NOT the answer, which means Darnold has yet to show what he can do if he has competent coaches and schemes supporting him.

I get it. They're starting over anyway. But I think you're better off turning that #2 pick into multiple lower picks (and maybe get a good, older receiver for Darnold as part of the trade) and build a team properly. 

I would add that you will likely get more value out of trading out of the #2 spot than you'll ever get trying to trade Darnold post-Wentz deal.

That said, I don't know any more than the average dude selling oranges on the street corner.

I would agree that it is very difficult to determine how good Darnold really is. His stats, while never really great, did regress from 2019. However, is that due to him, or due to a shit roster, terrible scheme, and worse coaching?

7 hours ago, Ann said:

The gift that is Adam Gase just keeps on giving.

20 hours ago, Ann said:

Because they have a lot of draft picks next year, too.

I’ve said it before, Darnold can’t lift a bad team by himself, but they never gave him a chance to see what he can do with good talent. They should see if he’s an anchor to a talented roster.  If he’s not, then they keep him and keep building with a lot of draft capital next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snafu said:

Because they have a lot of draft picks next year, too.

I’ve said it before, Darnold can’t lift a bad team by himself, but they never gave him a chance to see what he can do with good talent. They should see if he’s an anchor to a talented roster.  If he’s not, then they keep him and keep building with a lot of draft capital next year.

So trade him?  Thats the only way you'll see Darnold with a talented roster any time soon.