Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Jets Chat

Ann

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

So trade him?  Thats the only way you'll see Darnold with a talented roster any time soon.

I'm saying keep him and upgrade around him first.  They have something like six picks in the first 100 this year and a lot of cap space.  In 2022, they have another two first round picks and the cap will probably see a post-Covid boost.

If it doesn't work out, then they go after a better QB next year.  If it does work out, then they can sign him for a relatively inexpensive contract.

I suppose the only downside is that you could trade him now and probably not trade him after the 2021 season (he'd be a free agent -- maybe they'd get a comp pick).  He's been given no chance to succeed where he is, and there's no QB that looks to be any better in the first round this year (not named Lawrence).

4 minutes ago, snafu said:

I'm saying keep him and upgrade around him first.  They have something like six picks in the first 100 this year and a lot of cap space.  In 2022, they have another two first round picks and the cap will probably see a post-Covid boost.

If it doesn't work out, then they go after a better QB next year.  If it does work out, then they can sign him for a relatively inexpensive contract.

I suppose the only downside is that you could trade him now and probably not trade him after the 2021 season (he'd be a free agent -- maybe they'd get a comp pick).  He's been given no chance to succeed where he is, and there's no QB that looks to be any better in the first round this year (not named Lawrence).

I think its going to take them more than one year to get Darnold talent.  Meanwhile they are still picking 2nd overall this year. 

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I think its going to take them more than one year to get Darnold talent.  Meanwhile they are still picking 2nd overall this year. 

Yep, I get it.  And I don't think that they're going in the direction I laid out.  Plus there's nobody left in management or the coaching staff who's got any vested interest in Darnold.

However, are any of the QB's in this draft at the second pick gong to be an upgrade?  Feels like a real reach.  They got one good tackle last year and they can get another this year, as well as upgrade their running backs and Tight Ends.  That, alone, would be enough to see what he's got.

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

True, but only one year of actual upgraded talent will show if he's worth the investment in year 5, or not. 

On 2/23/2021 at 6:23 AM, snafu said:

Because they have a lot of draft picks next year, too.

I’ve said it before, Darnold can’t lift a bad team by himself, but they never gave him a chance to see what he can do with good talent. They should see if he’s an anchor to a talented roster.  If he’s not, then they keep him and keep building with a lot of draft capital next year.

I don't disagree that a talent upgrade would benefit Darnold.

I think strategically the move is to draft a QB if one is worthy, even if as good as Darnold.  The driver is cash - a new QB will be cheap while the Darnold cost will start to increase.  Take equal talent at a cheaper cost.

If no QB is worthy, then stay with Darnold.

I almost feel sorry for Jets fans, almost. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. You just know that if they keep Darnold, he is going to suck. You also know that if they trade him, he is going to go on and have a pretty good career.

5 hours ago, Foxx said:

I almost feel sorry for Jets fans, almost. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. You just know that if they keep Darnold, he is going to suck. You also know that if they trade him, he is going to go on and have a pretty good career.

If he went on to have a good career, and the new guy they drafted did well, I am certain they'd be happy with the outcome.

Personally? I hope they continue to suck, with or without Darnold. 🙂

• Like 1

</snip>

Things are getting ugly between the Jets and their safety in contract negotiations. Sound familiar?

A year after a contract standoff with Jamal Adams led to his trade to the Seahawks, the Jets are under fire from the agent for Marcus Maye, who is scheduled to hit free agency on March 17. Jets general manager Joe Douglas said in January that re-signing Maye is a priority, but it has not happened, and now free agency is getting close. Many people around the league believe the Jets will use the franchise tag on Maye by Tuesday’s deadline. That would pay him around $11 million for 2021, but not give him long-term security.

</snip>

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Thank you.

His evaluations of the Class of '18 begins roughly right around the 5:10 mark and he pretty much nails it. Obviously my only disagreement would be him ranking Lamar higher than Josh.

• Like 1